Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One year and expected to work 24/7 365 days

One year and expected to work 24/7 365 days

Old May 25th 2015, 1:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year and expected to work 24/7 365 days

Originally Posted by Steve_
I have no idea where you get that idea from
Every day I go and work in computer departments. Using that internet thingy and sometimes by visiting, I work with people in computer departments in many countries.

Those are not "all facets", those are the crappy facets.
I pimp some people at $300/hr for 8 hours/ 260/days in those facets. What, pray tell, are the good facets of the business?

Will read your links tomorrow but I'm amazed, I think computer departments employ more women, as a proportion of staff, than Hooters or Twin Peaks.
Old May 25th 2015, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bc2015
50-60k is the starting salary for some graduates out of the college in some of the bigger companies (Amazon, Google etc...). There are not many far off 100k after a few years experience, especially if they are good.

I've seen to many positions advertised at around 50 0r 60 to believe this figure as the norm for programmers. Yes some people maybe on 100 but a quick ring around recruiters and various other sources gives a very different story and that is where I got my figure from.
Old May 26th 2015, 10:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worklifebalance
Not likely, a judge is most likely to only award for your own personal loss plus a small amount for hurt feelings.
Who said anything about a judge? If your case had such far-reaching implications, the entire industry would bribe you with that much to make you go away.
Old May 27th 2015, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Who said anything about a judge? If your case had such far-reaching implications, the entire industry would bribe you with that much to make you go away.

Not if negotiations were just between the company and I - and who would offer more compensation than the judge would rather then let it go to court and pay less. Once a judgement is made it can set a precedent so yes it could make a big difference
Old May 28th 2015, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

247365NotForMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Followed this thread with great interest as similar what has happened to you has happened to me in IT. I was expected to work minimum 80 hours a week and company always refused my vacation. At Christmas I asked for my vacation as it needed to be used by year end or lose it. I got fired the next day for not being a team player. I get plenty of interviews but each time I got an offer it was withdrawn when background checks were done. One company told me that responses from my previous company indicated without actually saying it that I was a problem to them. I did not even put this company as a reference but that doesn't matter in Canada as they take references from whoever they like and without asking. I no longer have them on my resume or linkedin but the damage is done and my career in Canada destroyed. I am going to leave Canada after less than a year and forget that Canada ever existed. Canada you are fired.
Old May 28th 2015, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 247365NotForMe
Followed this thread with great interest as similar what has happened to you has happened to me in IT. I was expected to work minimum 80 hours a week and company always refused my vacation. At Christmas I asked for my vacation as it needed to be used by year end or lose it. I got fired the next day for not being a team player. I get plenty of interviews but each time I got an offer it was withdrawn when background checks were done. One company told me that responses from my previous company indicated without actually saying it that I was a problem to them. I did not even put this company as a reference but that doesn't matter in Canada as they take references from whoever they like and without asking. I no longer have them on my resume or linkedin but the damage is done and my career in Canada destroyed. I am going to leave Canada after less than a year and forget that Canada ever existed. Canada you are fired.

wow that is really bad treatment and I'm really sorry for you as you have to leave. I just done some searching on the internet and found this employee blacklist owned by none other than EMPLOYMENT BUREAU OF CANADA for a National Employment Database of Offenders. Employers are allowed to add anyone who was fired/dismissed to this blacklist not just offenders. You really can have your career destroyed in Canada by a vindictive employer with the governments help. Employers could add anything about you and you wouldn't know it, nor have opportunity to defend yourself.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Once a judgement is made it can set a precedent so yes it could make a big difference
Not as big as you were suggesting.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Employers could add anything about you and you wouldn't know it, nor have opportunity to defend yourself.
There's an appeals process linked to from that very page. Given that the records are public, it would be dumb to lie, although I accept there are a lot of dumb people about.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by dbd33
What, pray tell, are the good facets of the business?
Here is an extraordinarily comprehensive answer to your question, courtesy of Dice: Dice Salary Survey: Tech's problem isn't a pay gap, it's a position gap - TechRepublic
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

There's an appeals process linked to from that very page. Given that the records are public, it would be dumb to lie, although I accept there are a lot of dumb people about.

... but is that page promoted to employee's or employer's? It's the first I or anybody else I know knew of it. It was only by chance I found it embedded within another employment website. If you don't know about it or have to wait for the appeals process then the damage is done as you're not going to get the job for which you're being referenced. They only have to say you were fired not what for - and employers will read between the lines. As you can legally be fired for not being liked it is not hard to ruin someone's career.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an extraordinarily comprehensive answer to your question, courtesy of Dice: Dice Salary Survey: Tech's problem isn't a pay gap, it's a position gap - TechRepublic
That doesn't answer my question, it just lists the same facets of IT that I did by job title rather than role and asserts that women are paid less because they have different job titles. It doesn't introduce any facets of IT of which I'm unaware. It doesn't counter my view that, while women IT are paid less than men, they're less discriminated against in IT than in other fields.

Project Manager vs. System Architect, Business Analyst vs. Database Administrator are minute distinctions in role and differ from place to place; counting the penises in each position tells you nothing.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 2:09 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Project Manager vs. System Architect, Business Analyst vs. Database Administrator are minute distinctions in role and differ from place to place; counting the penises in each position tells you nothing.
That's an oversimplification of what it says, it draws a clear distinction between a Project Manager and a System Architect because Project Manager is listed for both genders. Technical support and help desk don't even appear for the men.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 2:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

... but is that page promoted to employee's or employer's? It's the first I or anybody else I know knew of it. It was only by chance I found it embedded within another employment website. If you don't know about it or have to wait for the appeals process then the damage is done as you're not going to get the job for which you're being referenced. They only have to say you were fired not what for - and employers will read between the lines. As you can legally be fired for not being liked it is not hard to ruin someone's career.
Employers are liable, as you are in the process of finding out because you're actually following the legal procedure right now. And libel is also illegal.

That's not an official govt. website, by the way. You could sue them.

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 5th 2015 at 2:20 am.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard wages are low in the east, including Ontario/Toronto.
I recruit truckers from that area with ease, Grossing $4000 bi weekly it seems beats anything out there, also one of my closest friends is in IT, actually at the same trucking company and last time salaries where mentioned he is close to $60,000 which is double what he earned in Winnipeg and guessing more than Ontario ? Rarely works any overtime but he is on call and a laptop goes just about everywhere with him.
Not sure if his salary is low or not but maybe he is treated better because he works for an IT dept rather than a company if you know what i mean ? Or am i talking out of my arse ? lol

Oh IT hours are 9 to 5 monday to friday
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has the reputation of paying lower wages than Toronto. Despite this, the people I know who are at a "professional" level in IT work (not entry level positions) seem to earn between $85k and $120k and are home for tea every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.