One year

Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:00 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One year

One year ago today I shipped myself off from N.Ireland to Toronto. I think it has all gone rather well.

Places to live - I found a shared house on the internet and booked a room for the first month. This was a gamble, the location was far from ideal but I was broke and it was cheap. This would have worked ok had the rest of the tenants not been lunatics. An apartment downtown followed. Couldn't ask for more. Reasonable rent, great people, awesome location.

Jobs - I got a job after 4 weeks of searching. Some time later, another job opportunity randomly presented itself so I took it. That was an ill-fated decision, so after a short period of time I job searched some more and landed the position I have now. I enjoy my job and hope to be there for the foreseeable future. I take two things from that experience. 1. It is possible to turn up, as an immigrant, and find work at short notice. 2. It is perfectly possible to live, in downtown Toronto, on $10 an hour. I did it, I'm glad it's done now, but it is do-able.

Fun & friends- I have had so much fun and made some great friends. Actual friends, not just the acquaintences I expected. I forced myself to be more outgoing here and it has paid off, I have found people generally friendly and I have got away with plenty due to my accent. I love this city. Plenty to do outside of it too, with random trips to the country a definate pleasure.

I expect any pangs of missing home and the people there will be relieved by a trip back over Christmas. All in all, this has been a great move. I am relieved to have got PR and am looking forward to whatever is next.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year

Well done. It sounds like you have achieved quite a lot in your year.
Alovely positive post
Tina
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

i2c, I think moving like that was a ballsy thing to do and I'm bloody glad you done it.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:07 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
i2c, I think moving like that was a ballsy thing to do and I'm bloody glad you done it.
Make sure that this gal is around for Yarding in early March.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I don't have shackles, I can only invite.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:17 pm

We will be along after a couple of introductory tequilas.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't have shackles, I can only invite.
Now, to be honest that suprises me and Im not entirely sure I believe you

Congrats i2c, heres to many more!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
Now, to be honest that suprises me and Im not entirely sure I believe you

Congrats i2c, heres to many more!
I meant metaphorical shackles, the literal ones are in the Beetle.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:30 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
We will be along after a couple of introductory tequilas.
Triffic! It doesn't have to be the Yard, of course. I'm just being lazy.

I'm as happy to go to one his favourite places on Church.

Come to think of it, though, given his apparent fondness for shackles, maybe I'm not.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:36 pm

Triffic! It doesn't have to be the Yard, of course. I'm just being lazy.

I'm as happy to go to one his favourite places on Church.

Come to think of it, though, given his apparent fondness for shackles, maybe I'm not.
May as well tempt fate and do the Yard, now we are back in their good graces.
I wouldn't knock the shackles, they do extend further than Church.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:42 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats & great post to share!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes on your 1st Canniversary and thanks for sharing
your experience.
Yoong
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats on your first year!
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

embracetheworld is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course it is possible, you made it possible! Well done. Wishing you many more successful years in Canada!

- formerly known as oceanblue.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Many congrats to you - sounds like you've done well for yourself. Here's a few more then, eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.