Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One whole year today!

One whole year today!

Old Aug 18th 2013, 5:16 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default One whole year today!

Well here is a post I thought sometimes if never get to write! My hubby celebrated his canniversary in may buy the kids and I are today celebrating being here one year!

Recap, moved to Vancouver in dec 2011, 8 weeks later we had found the company sponsoring hubby's twp lied and we had nowhere near what they guaranteed, coming in so had to unemigrate after 8 weeks of bliss!
Back in uk all the reasons we left were still there only now we had lost everything financially on top! Hubby got a job and we limped our way back to being able to rent a place with no help from benefits as we still owned (but rented out) our home.

A month down the line and hubby is enticed back to Canada with a realistic overview of the life we could have in Prince George. Very very wary of taking another risk when we had lost so much and since this meant we would be apart for a long while, which we don't do!

He flew out on may 4th 2012 and has never looked back, we arrived 18aug and agree with him, we love it here.
Pg is a great city that feels like a town. We have most shops you could want and the scenery is stunning, thankfully I have yet to experience the poor air quality the town is famous for (although the pulp mill is very pongy some days) and also managed to avoid the rash of violent crime we are also supposed to have heaps of (but now Kelowna is top of that league table!) only crime that ive even been aware of personally was when some git broke my tail light and drove off in a car park. Easy fix, no one hurt!

Our lawyer put our PR appn in on 18th August as well, medicals finally came in February and we gave been waiting a response since then (pnp stream so friends of ours had pr thru in 5 months all in, most irritating we haven't yet heard anything!) especially since my sons autism is likely to be a stumbling block/insurmountable object! I can't start fighting till they actually say something is wrong, so we wait!

Sadly lost my dad in April which was very hard, he was only 65 and being unable to make it to his bedside in time was rough on me, and my siblings who had to bear the brunt of the vigils, and cleaning out his house afterwards. This is the hardest part for me of being an immigrant, you inevitably miss things people at home do. Facebook is great and when Skype works its handy! But you can't replace a hug.

I still miss prawn cocktail crisps and gravy granules but other than that I'm more than happy with Canadian versions of our favourites. And we have many new ones too.

13yo son did a year at mainstream school, he struggled, his autism made him find everything just that bit harder. He will be starting school in September at a unit attached to his psychiatrists office. It is not funded by the school district (which will be one of the cics arguments about his excessive demand) he is settling reasonably well all things considered.

11yo daughter LOVES it here. She has a million friends, made honour roll at school and organises sleep overs all the time, she misses home, but mostly doesn't think about it. She missed her friends until it became clear who they really were and that surprised her!

Baby is nearly 3 and is such a cute little sweetie. He can "do" a Canadian accent but is still fairly English. He loves riding his bike and exploring the park, and loves strong start and making friends.

Even the dog is happy here, tho we will have to move somewhere without stairs as he gets older.

We have a plan, once our pr comes thru then we will get a mortgage for a place on the edge of town with the inheritance my dad left me and start over. We've just celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary and thankfully are still as strong as a rock! Honestly couldn't do this without him! In fact that's my one piece of advice to new potential immigrants, if your relationship isn't strong you will really really struggle and it may well get the better of you!

Thanks again to all of you who have offered advice and support over the last 2 years. I KNOW we wouldn't be here without you.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:04 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One whole year today!

Good to hear.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 7:17 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and good to hear its starting to fall into place
Old Aug 18th 2013, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes with your PR application and your life in PG! Sounds great so far.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Great write up,just think the next canniversary you will have pr
Old Aug 19th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

You guys have certainly had a very bumpy ride, and more than your fair share of hurdles. So sorry about your Dad. BUT you also have a plan, and you'll do fine.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:52 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham and george
Great write up,just think the next canniversary you will have pr
Really hope so! That'd be nice!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 3:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

What a great story - glad you made it work in the end x
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Sunryder is an unknown quantity at this point

You are strong and positive, that's why you made it!! Congrats and best wishes for the future.....
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice

Congrats to you our son has Aspergers and we were first told no, we couldn't get PR because of his excessive demand on school and medical. But found a private special school that would take him - so no demand there and provided a letter from his doctor to explain he is medically fit and would need very limited medical in put.
We got the YES! And have found that since we landed his condition is not an issue and never has his 'excessive demands' been raised.
Do not give up - you seem to have been though it all already - wish you all the best and lots of luck
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:32 am
finally together...

zippy, thanks for that we are still waiting for them to say anything our medicals were in february! he is starting a new school in septemberr that is part of the mental health team here although still part of the school district if they say he is excessive demand we can offer to insure against this. but as yet we cant start arguing until they actualy say something. the waiting is hell and he is aware that if we dont get PR it will probably be because of him cos he read up on it on the web (much to my annoyance as we had tried to shield him from this info) can i ask how long it took for them to flag up your child as excessive demand? as i said we have been waiting since Feb!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

congrats on your canniversary and lets hope there are many more to follow
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
zippy, thanks for that we are still waiting for them to say anything our medicals were in february! he is starting a new school in septemberr that is part of the mental health team here although still part of the school district if they say he is excessive demand we can offer to insure against this. but as yet we cant start arguing until they actualy say something. the waiting is hell and he is aware that if we dont get PR it will probably be because of him cos he read up on it on the web (much to my annoyance as we had tried to shield him from this info) can i ask how long it took for them to flag up your child as excessive demand? as i said we have been waiting since Feb!

Canada's foreign services officers are on strike at the moment so if they play any part in your application (ie. verifying info in the UK or something) that might be what is causing the delay. I know that doesn't help, but it does mean that the delay isn't necessarily because of a problem of some sort...it could just be down to the strike.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Congrats on your Canniversary!

What an awesome determined attitude you have, just goes to show that its worth it in the end!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Great story and congratulations on your one year canniversary

MJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.