British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   One whole year here! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/one-whole-year-here-804912/)

MillieF Aug 2nd 2013 6:48 pm

One whole year here!

I'm not unhappy and I'm quite enjoying life mostly. The first year anywhere, even if it's just a change of town can feel awkward. It knocks you for six physically too. It's one year here, but it was a good year and a half before that in preparation.

I'm starting to get my equilibrium back. I am surprised by how very much harder I have found this move than I thought I would.

The natives are friendly! Fredricton has welcomed us and been nice to us even when I have felt grumpy and out of sorts:o.

I had researched the weather, but seeing a figure on a website is nothing like sticking your head out into it. Eastern Canada is weather on steroids!

This has been a great move for us as a family, if not necessarily for the individuals in it. I am in a job that I am enjoying, working with people I like. Our son loves everything about Canada and the Canadians except the food! My husband is happy to be back, except that sometimes he says he can well recall why he left in the first place!

There have been sad and bad days, and I hope the more positive ones are going to visit more frequently. Being on BE however, has for me, been an amazingly stabilising factor, knowing that you mob have experienced the same feelings has made it much less of a drama!

haggis88 Aug 3rd 2013 1:05 am

Re: One whole year here!

Congrats, i've been here exactly 1 year too!

Here's to the next one :D

bcmama Aug 3rd 2013 5:23 am

Congrats on getting through the first year, hope your second year is filled with an abundance of positive days! I know what you mean about the collective vs individual benefits of moving here.

Mikeypm Aug 3rd 2013 7:27 am

Congrats ;)

DandNHill Aug 3rd 2013 11:37 am

Congrats!

I know what you mean about the Maritimes weather! :rofl:

I have been here nearly two years. The second year is def the one that has made me happy to say that Canada is my home!!

BristolUK Aug 3rd 2013 2:05 pm

It doesn't seem a year you've been here to me, so it must have flown by for you!!
:)

MillieF Aug 3rd 2013 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10833456)
It doesn't seem a year you've been here to me, so it must have flown by for you!!
:)

It seemed to pass when I wasn't looking Bristol...you and I are both that one year older;). The nice thing is I'm quite looking forward to the next bit, as I don't have anymore 1st's coming up! First winter, Christmas and Easter are all under my belt....I'm a woman who can now:thumbup:

ann m Aug 3rd 2013 11:27 pm

Aw, congrats on your first year - and that did go very quickly (for me :rofl:). Sounds all quite normal to me.

Equilibrium can be a bugger but it muddles back to its normal self eventually.

Weather on steroids - exactly!

All best wishes for a great Year Two, to you all. :thumbsup:

Blossom23 Aug 7th 2013 6:57 pm

Congratulations on your one year anniversary

Sunryder Aug 8th 2013 12:50 pm

Congratulations. Hopefully one day, we will also be posting here on our first year....

RyanD Aug 8th 2013 1:18 pm

Congrats!

dg31 Aug 8th 2013 1:48 pm

Congrats; another member of the "one year club" :)

januarymix Aug 8th 2013 4:10 pm

'Gratz also! Millie

Mad Jockette Aug 8th 2013 11:47 pm

Congratulations on your one year anniversary and hope you continue to enjoy your new adventure in life :)

Runningfree Aug 11th 2013 6:28 am

Congratulations Millie! Happy 1st anniversary can't wait for ours to come!