Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

This one is for Caretaker!! 16 months in!! :-)

This one is for Caretaker!! 16 months in!! :-)

Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:39 pm
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of
Default This one is for Caretaker!! 16 months in!! :-)

Well, after being prompted that I havent ran a sequel to my original posting of being here 2.5 months.. I felt that it deserved a response. Just so you all know, I have been checking in and out and its good to see you all chit chatting about life

Well I am still here, which I think is a sign in itself, but boy was this a rough Canadian winter! I feel sometimes that I am now more Canadian than the Canadians, I seem to be able to wear a t-shirt in -20, a jumper in -30 and get away without gloves and touque at -40.. Touque I hear you say, what the hell is a touque!! See, Ive even had to start using Canadian words - simply because my children are now established in the school system and unless I use words like sidewalk, touque, awesome and the like, they simply zone out and dont listen to me!

I know various things about vinyl siding, sump pumps, blown in insulation and mudding... and I can probably recite the entire Tim Hortons Drive Thu menu to you backwards...

I still dont get a lot of things, and you know what, thats ok. Some people still stare at me funny when I start waffeling off in my Irish twist, but I can get away with it, because Im Irish. Actually, I think Ive started a trend in town... You see, where we used to live, if you didnt wave at every god darn stranger you passed in the car, there was something wrong with you... So I started this a few months ago when no-one waved, and now I have at least 20 to 30 waves a day. Im not sure what exactly they are thinking when they wave at me, but thats ok too!

Ive decided that Canada has the most expensive butter, milk and bread in the world, but then when I do the conversion rate back to Euro, I realize that we are actually quite lucky.

We sold our house in Ireland, which made us sad, but Id rather be sad than broke. At least we can afford to go back for a holiday if we want, but strangely we dont want to. Well actually I dont want to, hubby is way too busy with work to even think about going to Banff for a weekend!

Im going to buy a camper this Spring, something that I can pull with my truck, so if any of you are on the roads of Saskatchewan or east Alberta this year, WATCH OUT... I cant reverse without a camper, so Im sure I will need to find somewhere that I can drive in and drive out of

Ive made a bucket load of friends, and Ive found their sense of humour that I knew was there somewhere. I cant wait to get my PR because I want to go back to college here, and maybe do something arty farty.

Aside from that, I think its probably quite obvious that Im so happy here, and I still think that Ive made a super decision. We miss family and friends, but who doesnt. Actually, if we went home everyone would be delighted to see us for the first 20 minutes, and then they would be wondering who we were going to visit next, and when!

The great thing about Saskatchewan is, that its far enough away that those relatives that you really never liked coming over for tea, think its WAY too far to go on holidays
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This one is for Caretaker!! 16 months in!! :-)

Originally Posted by missieleah
Well, after being prompted that I havent ran a sequel to my original posting of being here 2.5 months.. I felt that it deserved a response. Just so you all know, I have been checking in and out and its good to see you all chit chatting about life

Well I am still here, which I think is a sign in itself, but boy was this a rough Canadian winter! I feel sometimes that I am now more Canadian than the Canadians, I seem to be able to wear a t-shirt in -20, a jumper in -30 and get away without gloves and touque at -40.. Touque I hear you say, what the hell is a touque!! See, Ive even had to start using Canadian words - simply because my children are now established in the school system and unless I use words like sidewalk, touque, awesome and the like, they simply zone out and dont listen to me!

I know various things about vinyl siding, sump pumps, blown in insulation and mudding... and I can probably recite the entire Tim Hortons Drive Thu menu to you backwards...

I still dont get a lot of things, and you know what, thats ok. Some people still stare at me funny when I start waffeling off in my Irish twist, but I can get away with it, because Im Irish. Actually, I think Ive started a trend in town... You see, where we used to live, if you didnt wave at every god darn stranger you passed in the car, there was something wrong with you... So I started this a few months ago when no-one waved, and now I have at least 20 to 30 waves a day. Im not sure what exactly they are thinking when they wave at me, but thats ok too!

Ive decided that Canada has the most expensive butter, milk and bread in the world, but then when I do the conversion rate back to Euro, I realize that we are actually quite lucky.

We sold our house in Ireland, which made us sad, but Id rather be sad than broke. At least we can afford to go back for a holiday if we want, but strangely we dont want to. Well actually I dont want to, hubby is way too busy with work to even think about going to Banff for a weekend!

Im going to buy a camper this Spring, something that I can pull with my truck, so if any of you are on the roads of Saskatchewan or east Alberta this year, WATCH OUT... I cant reverse without a camper, so Im sure I will need to find somewhere that I can drive in and drive out of

Ive made a bucket load of friends, and Ive found their sense of humour that I knew was there somewhere. I cant wait to get my PR because I want to go back to college here, and maybe do something arty farty.

Aside from that, I think its probably quite obvious that Im so happy here, and I still think that Ive made a super decision. We miss family and friends, but who doesnt. Actually, if we went home everyone would be delighted to see us for the first 20 minutes, and then they would be wondering who we were going to visit next, and when!

The great thing about Saskatchewan is, that its far enough away that those relatives that you really never liked coming over for tea, think its WAY too far to go on holidays

Great to hear that you are happy! And that you are using words like toque correctly

With regards to the prices of butter, milk, and bread - you cannot say 'Canada' as prices vary across the country. They might be expensive where you live, but they are not expensive everywhere. Sorry to quibble, but so many people claim things cost X amount in Canada when the reality is that they only cost that where they happen to live. Gauging prices for essentials in Canada based on one's location in Saskatchewan is like gauging house prices in Inverness based on house prices in London.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:15 am
Collector of Junk!

missieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud ofmissieleah has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by colchar
Great to hear that you are happy! And that you are using words like toque correctly

With regards to the prices of butter, milk, and bread - you cannot say 'Canada' as prices vary across the country. They might be expensive where you live, but they are not expensive everywhere. Sorry to quibble, but so many people claim things cost X amount in Canada when the reality is that they only cost that where they happen to live. Gauging prices for essentials in Canada based on one's location in Saskatchewan is like gauging house prices in Inverness based on house prices in London.
Quite true Colchar... I shouldnt generalise. So I will amend that to say that when you live in a small town in Saskatchewan, you will find that prices vary over larger cities. For example, I can buy something here in Walmart, and in Walmart in Saskatoon it will be cheaper, when you would assume that prices are fixed even just within Provinces with the variation of PST and GST. However, I cant quibble too much about it, we have jobs that are sufficient to pay for what we need, so we are very lucky
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar

Prices are strange in Canada though, Costs us $4 for a bag of spinach grown in BC and bought in BC, yet in the middle of nowhere in Montana the exact same bag of Spinach imported from BC is $1.50 and its the same for a lot of items. We get seriously ripped off for a lot of items. I do still love Canada, I just do my shopping in the States
Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:32 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Missieleah - thank you, what a nice exuberant post, you sound thoroughly happy. Well done to you and your family, I hope all continues to go swimmingly.

I shall drive for the nearest ditch if I see you and your camper in my vicinity
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 12:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

What about the sausages? Did anyone ever bring deer sausage like I predicted?
(And that waving thing - pure Saskatchewan. The casual salute. It's great when you're driving strangers around 'cause you can bs them you know all those people.}

Last edited by caretaker; Mar 22nd 2014 at 12:41 pm.