British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   North Shore Nova Scotia - 10 years on (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/north-shore-nova-scotia-10-years-842254/)

Ontheboatout Sep 1st 2014 9:39 pm

North Shore Nova Scotia - 10 years on

Well, we still love it here on the North Shore of Nova Scotia. It still holds the same attraction as it always has.....warm sea, log hours of sunshine, no fog, sports, fresh air, clean water, people, scenery, wildlife, free of crime, there are just some things I appreciate more now than I did back then.....

The traffic-free trip to the nearest large towns takes an hour on good roads. Bliss being able to do 60 miles in an hour for the first couple of years, now....just getting tired of the trip.

Jobs - well, I have been selling Real Estate successfully for 6 years now and more agents needed (and happy to answer any questions) but in general jobs are hard to find with companies etc. Still every type of contractor needed though very seasonal. Lots of opportunities for private enterprises and small business but if you have a specific job in mind you will find it hard to find the exact one.

Winter - embrace it or hate it. Our first Christmas we were on the deck having beers, the last two were very cold and very long and the fun of building snow castles and clearing driveways soon wears off.

Changes.....big improvements in Pugwash waterfront, and Tatamagouche the nearest small town (15 minutes), lots of organics, free range, farmers markets, brewing company, just had the best tourist season for 10 years. No fracking - currently banned. Lots of soft-top cars, new homes being built, increasing property values annually though prices still very low - you can still buy a home for under $90,000. Lots of younger people moving to the area... according to Stats Canada the only area outside of Halifax Region to be showing growth. Still no public transport or taxi services.

Overall....love it, would never go back. A struggle for the first three years but worth it. Any questions, fire away.

Novocastrian Sep 1st 2014 10:31 pm

Re: North Shore Nova Scotia - 10 years on

^Business a bit slow, is it?

Ontheboatout Sep 1st 2014 11:38 pm

Thanks for your interest in property sales statistics. In my area, the first three months showed a 10% increase on sales over the same period last year, whereas the 2nd quarter showed a 50% increase in sales. Since July sales have eased which is usual for the end of school year and vacations. (Source DMS REALTORĀ® database).

Novocastrian Sep 2nd 2014 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout (Post 11389386)
Thanks for your interest in property sales statistics. In my area, the first three months showed a 10% increase on sales over the same period last year, whereas the 2nd quarter showed a 50% increase in sales. Since July sales have eased which is usual for the end of school year and vacations. (Source DMS REALTORĀ® database).

Good to hear. How's the Feng Shui?