Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Kuwait Invasion Aug 2nd 1990

Kuwait Invasion Aug 2nd 1990

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kuwait Invasion Aug 2nd 1990

Twenty Three years ago today Suddan Hussein invaded Kuwait...:thumb down:

Twenty Three years ago today we invaded Canada..

How time flies ... we must have been having fun..

We've also been citizens for over seventeen years.

In 1996 it cost $600 for four of us which was a lot then. So I shudder to think what they charge now.

Incidentally the weather in the UK on August 2nd 1990 was also very hot, very much like it has been there recently. I recall that our Jumbo was late taking off that afternoon with the excuse that the plane was sinking into the melting tarmac on the runway... My husband said it had nothing to do with the really hot weather, more over it was to do with the amount of luggage I had brought.

We had eight very large suitcases and far more weight than our allowance. But to our surprise, because we were emigrating, British Airways never charge us a penny in excess baggage. Bet that doesn't happen now .. huh?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kuwait Invasion Aug 2nd 1990

Originally Posted by Blossom23
Twenty Three years ago today Suddan Hussein invaded Kuwait...:thumb down:

Twenty Three years ago today we invaded Canada..

How time flies ... we must have been having fun..

We've also been citizens for over seventeen years.

In 1996 it cost $600 for four of us which was a lot then. So I shudder to think what they charge now.

Incidentally the weather in the UK on August 2nd 1990 was also very hot, very much like it has been there recently. I recall that our Jumbo was late taking off that afternoon with the excuse that the plane was sinking into the melting tarmac on the runway... My husband said it had nothing to do with the really hot weather, more over it was to do with the amount of luggage I had brought.

We had eight very large suitcases and far more weight than our allowance. But to our surprise, because we were emigrating, British Airways never charge us a penny in excess baggage. Bet that doesn't happen now .. huh?
Wow, that's quite an achievement. Funny how you remember big events based on your own experiences. My sister got married the day of tchernobyl!

Congrats once again..
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:47 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and it's funny how you remember world events and how your life was at the time. I remember having recentley moved to Scotland just the week before 9/11
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:11 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Many Congratulations, I would think that these have been happy years...I wish you continued happiness

Your post reminds me where I was, I was on a flight from London to Muscat that changed in Cairo...But I was on Air Kuwait and the Egyptians stopped the flight while they took a week to decide what to do
Old Aug 5th 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for your kind words...

You are all so correct ... it's funny how we do that

And I do recall lots of planes being turned back, cancelled or delayed especially the one's headed to the middle east. Heathrow was on high alert, they had armed soldiers patrolling the terminals ... but it was quite the opposite when we arrived at YYZ... I don't think any of the north American airports took security very seriously .. until 9/11 thats is. But that's a whole other story best left alone I think..
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

23 years - long time Happy Canniversary to another Ancasterite (with considerably less time here!!)
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
23 years - long time Happy Canniversary to another Ancasterite (with considerably less time here!!)
Thank you ... I can hardly believe it myself. I don't really know where the time went. It's just flown by

And I read your thread a couple of weeks back now... I really enjoyed your comments and was so happy to hear how delighted you've been with your decision to come here and how much you've embraced all the differences... and yes ...Tim Hortons is usually on the list of things new comers like ..

That's the secret I think .... embrace the differences, go with the flow and give it time. Then if you find you can't settle you can always go back. But somehow I don't see that happening to you ... so welcome to your new home...

Last edited by Blossom23; Aug 5th 2013 at 11:04 am.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Thanks Blossom!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

I was on leave from the army, on the second day of my honeymoon at Primrose Valley. Knew immediately what my immediate future held . Playing in the sand for a few months.
Just coming up on our 2nd Canniversary.
Congrat on 23 years .