Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

It's our 1st Canniversary

It's our 1st Canniversary

Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's our 1st Canniversary

Congrats Yes ! Time flies. Hoping we can get to ours too ( mine in April, family in August ) so I guess we will count the landing date instead so we are all together so that makes it October !!

Just hope we can make it. If it wasn't for my job we would all be ecstatic living here.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:13 pm
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice

What an uplifting post, congrats on your Canniversary
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:32 pm
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I can hardly believe it, but it's our 1st Canniversary already

After a very busy Christmas and New Year we left Aberdeen, Scotland on the 7th January 2007 and arrived at Halifax airport via Toronto on 8th January (long long story which shall remain in the past). Drove 1.5 hours north to the town that has become our new home - New Glasgow.

We didn't know a soul in Nova Scotia before we came here but within a week we had been invited to a party at someone's house. A few days later Mr Y-C-D started his new job and my youngest son started school. Our older son had to wait 4 weeks as it was exam time for Grade 10. Poor soul - he was chomping at the bit to start.

We moved into a temp 2-bedroom apartment for a couple of months and moved into our new home in March 2007. We had shipped over a 20ft container and it was great being reunited with our belongings.

Survived winter temps that went as low as -30C. You get used to it really quickly. Now find myself saying "oh, its not that cold today - it's ONLY -10C"

I started working p/t around July and also started voluntary work at the local foodbank.

We got a lovely new deck and pool built and spent fabulous days enjoying it. Our outdoor space looks fab and the weather here was really lovely all summer long. I spent many a day floating in my pool looking up into the lovely blue sky watching the transatlantic flights flying high above, leaving their vapour trails behind....... bliss (until the kids jumped in and ruined my peace and tranquility )!

Had my mum and my aunt over for 2 weeks at the end of August. They had a great time and we explored the countryside and popped over to PEI too.

In September I started an evening class studying Medical Terminology which I love and hope will lead me to a new job.

In October we left the very beautiful fall colours of NS and headed to Orlando. Upon our return we landed as Canadian PRs in Toronto and headed home to NS........ WOOHOO

Early December saw the arrival of the Dignans - our new friends (and adopted rellies)! Celebrated our first Christmas and New Year here and went sledding for the first time in years......... yeehaaa, or was it more like arrrrgggghhhhh - what a fab day !

We have all settled in so well everything has gone very smoothly. There has been no homesickness from any of us at all (thank goodness) and we are all much more relaxed here. Kids love their schools and activities. Our 13 year old has a lovely Canadian accent - 16 year still sounding Scottish. OH getting on great with his job and is spreading his Scottish humour wherever he goes.

We are hoping to have some of our friends visiting this year. Thank goodness for MSN and webcam. It's a great way to keep in touch with everyone.

The people here are incredibly friendly, warm and have a great sense of humour - just the way we like it.

So Canada - we are here to stay!

Here's to the future and our Citizenship in a few years time
What a fantastic story - congratulations and here is wishing you and your family many more years of happiness in your new home.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Congrats Yes ! Time flies. Hoping we can get to ours too ( mine in April, family in August ) so I guess we will count the landing date instead so we are all together so that makes it October !!

Just hope we can make it. If it wasn't for my job we would all be ecstatic living here.
Shame about your job Tangram. Just start counting down the months til you are free .

I am really glad that you are all loving NB though
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:17 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations

It does seem to fly by. We are past our second and on the way to the third!

We can completely relate to the temperature comment. I remember at the end of last Feb when the weather man said it was going to be -12c today and both my wife and I looked at each other and said with complete sincerity ."hmmm, quite mild today then"

I had to laugh when Tangram posted the BBC weather warning from the UK ... Severe weather warning up to 5cm snow in England and temperatures just above freezing
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Ditto - (as you put on my previous post about hubby!). Hope things aren't too horrendous
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Ditto - (as you put on my previous post about hubby!). Hope things aren't too horrendous
You can hope....but I dread going in every morning.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATULATIONS!

Well done you guys. Seems you have settled in perfectly and love it.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:44 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I posted my Canniversary announcement a couple of days ago because it was just to let you all know how our first year went. We feel very lucky to be living here and we are all happy with our new lives.

However, yesterday didn't quite turn out as planned. I did not have a very good day at work and this triggered a meltdown when I came home. This is because one of my friends back in Aberdeen died on New Years Day aged 45. She was diagnosed with cancer only 5 months ago and we have kids the same age. Her funeral is not til tomorrow and I will not be there. It all feels surreal and has been an emotional week for me but things came to a head for me when I sat down to write out a card for her husband and kids.

I felt that my friend's death was such a personal thing that I did not want to post the news but now I feel the need to because I wish I could have flown home to pay my respects along with my other friends. Her funeral in at 11am GMT tomorrow (7am here) so at least I am able to spend some quiet time here at home.

Sorry for the emotional post but life has good and bad moments. One thing for sure, wherever you live, I hope that you all find your piece of happiness. Life's too short not to.

Last edited by Cookie; Jan 9th 2008 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:07 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I posted my Canniversary announcement a couple of days ago because it was just to let you all know how our first year went. We feel very lucky to be living here and we are all happy with our new lives.

However, yesterday didn't quite turn out as planned. I did not have a very good day at work and this triggered a meltdown when I came home. This is because one of my friends back in Aberdeen died on New Years Day aged 45. She was diagnosed with cancer only 5 months ago and we have kids the same age. Her funeral is not til tomorrow and I will not be there. It all feels surreal and has been an emotional week for me but things came to a head for me when I sat down to write out a card for her husband and kids.

I felt that my friend's death was such a personal thing that I did not want to post the news but now I feel the need to because I wish I could have flown home to pay my respects along with my other friends. Her funeral in at 11am GMT tomorrow (7am here) so at least I am able to spend some quiet time here at home.

Sorry for the emotional post but life has good and bad moments. One thing for sure, wherever you live, I hope that you all find your piece of happiness. Life's too short not to.
Oh YCD...I am so sorry to hear about your dear friends death. I had been reading your thread and felt so happy and uplifted and encouraged by it as we move to Sask next Thursday and I am finding it tough going at the minute with all the leaving parties, but your encouraging post really helped.

But then when I got to your last post I felt genuinely shocked and upset for you, life has a funny way of knocking you down when you least expect it.

Take time to reflect tomorrow and have some quiet time to yourself - I know it will be a very very difficult day for you and I am sending you a cyber hug <<<< xo >>>
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:59 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.... our Canniversaries are very close together.... Mine is 3 years today...

Two more years in, and you'll be an old pro like me
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:36 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by Alvic
Oh YCD...I am so sorry to hear about your dear friends death. I had been reading your thread and felt so happy and uplifted and encouraged by it as we move to Sask next Thursday and I am finding it tough going at the minute with all the leaving parties, but your encouraging post really helped.

But then when I got to your last post I felt genuinely shocked and upset for you, life has a funny way of knocking you down when you least expect it.

Take time to reflect tomorrow and have some quiet time to yourself - I know it will be a very very difficult day for you and I am sending you a cyber hug <<<< xo >>>
You should still feel uplifted and encouraged about your move. We have had a great year here and this is where we will remain.

Even if I lived in the UK, I would still feel the same about my friend. The difference would be that I would be there tomorrow. I am actually feeling a bit better since my meltdown. It certainly lifted the pressure I have been carrying around the last week.

It's not an easy time saying your farewells to everyone but the world is a smaller place these days. Contacting friends and rellies by cheap phonecalls, MSN and a webcam helps you keep in touch too. Remember that you are not dropping off the end of the planet - just moving across the pond.

Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniverary - Well Done!
Yoong
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

I hope today hasn't been too difficult for you its so hard to loose someone that means a lot too you,

your post was just so inspiring, lovely to here someone who is enjoying there new life so much, hope you find your happy place again soon, im sure your friend would be very happy for you.

Happy Canniversarie,

sue
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:23 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

I can hardly believe it, but it's our 1st Canniversary already

After a very busy Christmas and New Year we left Aberdeen, Scotland on the 7th January 2007 and arrived at Halifax airport via Toronto on 8th January (long long story which shall remain in the past). Drove 1.5 hours north to the town that has become our new home - New Glasgow.

We didn't know a soul in Nova Scotia before we came here but within a week we had been invited to a party at someone's house. A few days later Mr Y-C-D started his new job and my youngest son started school. Our older son had to wait 4 weeks as it was exam time for Grade 10. Poor soul - he was chomping at the bit to start.

We moved into a temp 2-bedroom apartment for a couple of months and moved into our new home in March 2007. We had shipped over a 20ft container and it was great being reunited with our belongings.

Survived winter temps that went as low as -30C. You get used to it really quickly. Now find myself saying "oh, its not that cold today - it's ONLY -10C"

I started working p/t around July and also started voluntary work at the local foodbank.

We got a lovely new deck and pool built and spent fabulous days enjoying it. Our outdoor space looks fab and the weather here was really lovely all summer long. I spent many a day floating in my pool looking up into the lovely blue sky watching the transatlantic flights flying high above, leaving their vapour trails behind....... bliss (until the kids jumped in and ruined my peace and tranquility )!

Had my mum and my aunt over for 2 weeks at the end of August. They had a great time and we explored the countryside and popped over to PEI too.

In September I started an evening class studying Medical Terminology which I love and hope will lead me to a new job.

In October we left the very beautiful fall colours of NS and headed to Orlando. Upon our return we landed as Canadian PRs in Toronto and headed home to NS........ WOOHOO

Early December saw the arrival of the Dignans - our new friends (and adopted rellies)! Celebrated our first Christmas and New Year here and went sledding for the first time in years......... yeehaaa, or was it more like arrrrgggghhhhh - what a fab day !

We have all settled in so well everything has gone very smoothly. There has been no homesickness from any of us at all (thank goodness) and we are all much more relaxed here. Kids love their schools and activities. Our 13 year old has a lovely Canadian accent - 16 year still sounding Scottish. OH getting on great with his job and is spreading his Scottish humour wherever he goes.

We are hoping to have some of our friends visiting this year. Thank goodness for MSN and webcam. It's a great way to keep in touch with everyone.

The people here are incredibly friendly, warm and have a great sense of humour - just the way we like it.

So Canada - we are here to stay!

Here's to the future and our Citizenship in a few years time
congrats to you and your family its so good to hear how well you have all settled in.enjoy many more years to come, all the best and have a few beers on me
kate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.