Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Its been 6 months already!

Its been 6 months already!

Old Nov 24th 2013, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its been 6 months already!

As the first snow flurries are falling outside just now the heat of 36c summer seems a long way away, but it was a surprised to realise we've been here for 6 months already, as of today!

I have yet to feel really homesick. I have had the occasional moment, but they only last an hour or two, and only appear maybe once a month, if that. I feel very fortunate! Honestly I felt more out of place in Glasgow than I do here. I miss seeing my family, and I think that will be at its worst at Christmas, but cheap phone calls and video chatting makes all the difference.

That's not to say the past 6 months have been all plain sailing. As someone who likes to always have savings it has been very difficult to watch the money dwindle away. We both came to start businesses, and seem to be just about at the point where the incomings match the outgoings, which is a relief, but there were some sticky moments around months 4-5. The worst feelings I felt here were not homesickness, but rather terrible fear that things wouldn't work out and we'd have to return to the UK.

We're loving life here in Nova Scotia; I love driving through the countryside (not the grey city) to get places. I love our truck. I love how friendly everyone is. I love the seasons! As soon as we're able to stop worrying quite so much about money things are going to be great. It has been quite an adventure so far, and I'm sure there are loads more to come
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Abster21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its been 6 months already!

Congratulations to you both. That was a lovely, positive and well-balanced post may the next six months + be even better for you!!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Vwera is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by izzi81 View Post
As the first snow flurries are falling outside just now the heat of 36c summer seems a long way away, but it was a surprised to realise we've been here for 6 months already, as of today!

I have yet to feel really homesick. I have had the occasional moment, but they only last an hour or two, and only appear maybe once a month, if that. I feel very fortunate! Honestly I felt more out of place in Glasgow than I do here. I miss seeing my family, and I think that will be at its worst at Christmas, but cheap phone calls and video chatting makes all the difference.

That's not to say the past 6 months have been all plain sailing. As someone who likes to always have savings it has been very difficult to watch the money dwindle away. We both came to start businesses, and seem to be just about at the point where the incomings match the outgoings, which is a relief, but there were some sticky moments around months 4-5. The worst feelings I felt here were not homesickness, but rather terrible fear that things wouldn't work out and we'd have to return to the UK.

We're loving life here in Nova Scotia; I love driving through the countryside (not the grey city) to get places. I love our truck. I love how friendly everyone is. I love the seasons! As soon as we're able to stop worrying quite so much about money things are going to be great. It has been quite an adventure so far, and I'm sure there are loads more to come
So happy for you! Wish you much more joy in your new home. We too are in the immigration process for NS. We loved it so much during our recces. Can't wait to actually move there. Are you in rural NS?
Cheers
Old Nov 27th 2013, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

We're in fairly rural NS. We stay in Canning, in the Valley, which is about 15mins away from some larger towns (by larger I mean 7000 people or so!) and about 1hr15 from Halifax.

We were looking for rural, and it's great the only thing missing in our area are walks we can get to on foot from the house. But then again the beach is 3mins drive away so can't complain!