Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Scotland to Ancaster Ontario

Glasgow Scotland to Ancaster Ontario

Old May 5th 2013, 4:54 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasgow Scotland to Ancaster Ontario

Originally Posted by midnight007
My wife is Canadian, and I have permanent residence now. We already knew that the teaching profession here was oversubscribed and that it would be nearly impossible to find a teaching job, but we were optimistic that If I were to get my OTC (which I have) that other job opportunities in admin work etc would come up, when the teaching route failed. I have applied to quite a few admin jobs now, and not heard anything back which is quite surprising really.
Have you followed up on your applications?
Old May 6th 2013, 2:46 am
Just Joined

midnight007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have followed up with most of my applications in terms of ringing up and/or emailing. Perhaps the main issue is lack of a strong network, and lack of suitable jobs.
We are doing what we can because we would like to stay here, it's just a difficult situation with my work history being mainly in teaching. Also, lack of Canadian experience may also be a contributing factor to the lack of interest. I am honestly at a loss, because in my mind, there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to get something.
Old May 6th 2013, 6:08 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have followed up with most of my applications in terms of ringing up and/or emailing. Perhaps the main issue is lack of a strong network, and lack of suitable jobs.
We are doing what we can because we would like to stay here, it's just a difficult situation with my work history being mainly in teaching. Also, lack of Canadian experience may also be a contributing factor to the lack of interest. I am honestly at a loss, because in my mind, there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to get something.
I think that in some cases the Canadian experience thing is just a way of saying thanks but no thanks. I've found that even when company's say no it's worth pushing the issue and trying to get in front of them. Have you suggested meeting for a coffee just to chat about the market for that particularly job sector. Determination can go along way and meeting for that coffee can go along way to being able to sell yourself in front of them. You have come along way to get to Canada and it would be a shame if it didn't work out.

I'm in a different industry but I'm happy to ask my contacts if they may consider you for a junior position if that's something you would consider?
Old May 6th 2013, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

Congratulation guys on your move. Its really nice to read some positive feedback and useful info too, for those of us who are going through the process or about to make the move. Really glad its working well, good luck and I look forward to reading your 1yr canniversary
Old May 6th 2013, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

midnight007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which industry do you work in? My degree is in chemistry. If that is something you think would be advantageous to the field you work in, I'd definitely be interested in applying.
Thanks for the advice as well. I appreciate it.
Old May 6th 2013, 6:27 pm

Which industry do you work in? My degree is in chemistry. If that is something you think would be advantageous to the field you work in, I'd definitely be interested in applying.
Thanks for the advice as well. I appreciate it.
I work in the insurance industry so if you don't mind a career change I can ask around , I hope the advice helps and I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you
Old May 17th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all

Loved reading your thread Alissa and Dave glad you are loving it x
Old May 17th 2013, 5:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a piece in the Toronto paper this week about a murder in Ancaster. The place was described as "a faith based community" which I thought was horrifying. Is it like Bountiful BC or more in the manner of Saudi Arabia?
Old May 20th 2013, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Another month in and still happy as the proverbial pigs in $hit!

Yesterday we took the boys to Motor City Comic Con over in Novi, Michigan. worth it just to here my 14 years old turn and say "You know its an awesome day when a Jedi walks past you...!"

Stopped on the way home at Port Huron and Sarnia, stunning view of lake Huron. Car broke down on the way home - , but we joined CAA and they were with us in no time, we also got to meet a cute policeman who stopped to make sure we had help coming!

We got our PR paperwork through shortly after my original post on this thread and "landed" a few days later. So we are now officially PR's which is a nice feeling. Landing was a long boring day with tetchy kids and long boring border crossings, very much an anti climax after all the waiting, but very worth it for the peace of mind!!

Just over a week till we get the keys for our house and finally get all of our things back out of storage, its been a long time since it shipped (4 months) and we are very much looking forward to having our own space and own things!

Missing friends and family from Glasgow, but overall just love love love it here, can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

Last edited by Ailsa n Dave; May 20th 2013 at 2:21 pm.
Old May 20th 2013, 2:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
Another month in and still happy as the proverbial pigs in $hit!

Yesterday we took the boys to Motor City Comic Con over in Novi, Michigan. worth it just to here my 14 years old turn and say "You know its an awesome day when a Jedi walks past you...|" lol

Stopped on the way home at Port Huron and Sarnia, stunning view of lake Huron. Car broke down on the way home - lol, but we joined CAA and they were with us in no time, we also got to meet a cute policeman who stopped to make sure we had help coming!

We got our PR paperwork through shortly after my original post on this thread and "landed" a few days later. So we are now officially PR's which is a nice feeling. Landing was a long boring day with tetchy kids and long boring border crossings, very much an anti climax after all the waiting, but very worth it for the peace of mind!!

Just over a week till we get the keys for our house and finally get all of our things back out of storage, its been a long time since it shipped (4 months) and we are very much looking forward to having our own space and own things!

Missing friends and family from Glasgow, but overall just love love love it here, can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.
Old May 20th 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, ailsa!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

3 months today since we got here...

We got the keys to our new house last week and finally got all of our things back out of storage, 4 and a half months felt a long time to be without all our stuff. Very happy to sleep in our bed again! and sit on our couch (and of course wear the rest of my shoes!!)

The new house is lovely, its about 3 times the size of what we had in the UK and we love having a basement!! So much space!! Its definitely nice to be back in a place we can call home.

Work is going well, I have to go back next week to Glasgow to do some work in my old job, I'm going to stay with my parents for the week. Feels weird to be going back so soon, not sure I'm really ready... will see how that goes.

3 months today means we should now be covered by OHIP... unfortunately that got messed up by us "landing" to activate our PR 6 weeks after we got here. The service Canada PC's insisted that we had got here that day (even though our driving licences, tax record etc show earlier) We can appeal but the appeal takes 6 weeks so kinda pointless. We had to renew the private cover, which they only do in 90 day blocks. Costly mess up!! So advice to others is register for OHIP first, don't wait!!

Weather has been entertaining! Today and yesterday it has been very "Glasgowy" outside (ie: grey and wet) I'm told this is very unseasonal for here at this time of year. Both David and I feel like we already had a great summer though... lol... We've had much more sun since we got here than we did all year last year, infact for about the last 3 years.. and we still have proper summer to go!! My head is struggling to accept that!!

Emotionally I've had a few real down spots of missing people back home, not the place just the people, close family and friends... we are starting to get a few friends over here, but nothing will replace lunch at my parents house or meeting my best mate for a hot chocolate... Just need to deal with that one and look forward to them visiting (and ofcourse see them next week... but this won't be a common thing)

Kids seam to be settling in well, they are both just back from there school trips away and both had a great time.

David has his hotrod project started (well... hot rod shell at least, will be a while before its a car - lol) so he's happier than a happy thing on happy day!

All in all still absolutely love it here
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Great that you're still loving it we've been here 2 weeks and its been excellent so far, I hope we are the same! I'll be really interested to read how you get on back in Glasgow. At the moment I couldn't imagine going back but we've not been out here very long. Let us know how it goes!

We get our belongings next week and I know I can't wait to see all our own stuff again and I've only been without it for 3 weeks, over 4 months is quite a while to be without all your own things...
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Matt hudds is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, im new to this site but couldnt help read about your move to Ancaster! Ive visited my fiance 8 times in Ancaster and i love it too. Hopefully ill be living there too 18 months time! We are getting married 27 sept this year then apply via spousal visa.
If you ever go to the KFC at westcliffe mall on mowhawk road west thats where she works part time aside doing her degree at McMaster. (pretty shitty old mall compared to limeridge lol).

Thanks i enjoyed reading your updates
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I assumed I was allowed, maybe I'm not

Of course you are, I've never heard of anyone not being allowed to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.