Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

First week in Canada so far! (SK)

Old May 5th 2013, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

pbut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First week in Canada so far! (SK)

...And things are going great! Currently in White City, Regina and going to be living somewhere near Ituna for the next few months.

I love how different things are over here to back in the UK. I think you get a much better perspective of how things work over here by actually coming out to work for a few months instead of coming out on holiday.

The left hand drive/driving on the right has taken me a week to figure out, but getting there slowly. And EVERYONE around here seems to drive a truck with a big old engine, Dodge, GMC, Ford.

Next on the list is to figure out what the deal is with running a vehicle over here, as there doesn't seem to be road tax alike what the UK has...and insurance prices are more based on the age of the vehicle rather than the drivers capabilities? And you don't get charged a fortune to run a 6.7l v8 either it seems.

Such a different way of life. Could I live out here permanently? Time will tell
Old May 5th 2013, 11:00 am
Just Joined

fcbayern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First week in Canada so far! (SK)

I think you get a much better perspective of how things work over here by actually coming out to work for a few months instead of coming out on holiday.
Old May 5th 2013, 1:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

No MOT only emissions test every 2 years (ON) there is road tax in Ontario, it is a TAG sticker on the top right of the rear plate, on cars, cost $80 a year. That's bout it plus insurance costs.
Old May 5th 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

In SK insurance is standardised so no point shopping around as every broker will be the same price, no road tax or MOT`s here either
Old May 5th 2013, 5:29 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pbut
...And things are going great! Currently in White City, Regina and going to be living somewhere near Ituna for the next few months.

I love how different things are over here to back in the UK. I think you get a much better perspective of how things work over here by actually coming out to work for a few months instead of coming out on holiday.

The left hand drive/driving on the right has taken me a week to figure out, but getting there slowly. And EVERYONE around here seems to drive a truck with a big old engine, Dodge, GMC, Ford.

Next on the list is to figure out what the deal is with running a vehicle over here, as there doesn't seem to be road tax alike what the UK has...and insurance prices are more based on the age of the vehicle rather than the drivers capabilities? And you don't get charged a fortune to run a 6.7l v8 either it seems.

Such a different way of life. Could I live out here permanently? Time will tell
Wow that is a very small town. All the best.
Old May 6th 2013, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Ituna. Regina will seem a metropolis in comparison. I drove through Ituna once when I was doing my fieldwork in Fort Qu'Appelle.

If you can get a decent summer (minus the crazy humidex, millions of mozzies, random tornado etc.) it won't be too bad. My relatives still live in some of the small towns out there, little further east though.

Last edited by Japonica; May 6th 2013 at 9:18 am.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Canada!

We are 8 weeks in and LOVING it.

Bought two cars (so far) lol, so the process is fresh in my head if you have some questions.

In my opinion, car insurance is based on how mangled you will get in an accident, so a truck with a huge V8 is going to be cheaper than a smart car. I have to laugh at that name over here

Emissions test is NOT a probe up the exhaust. It's an OBDII plug test. They plug in a diagnostic tool and check for errors. If your "check Engine" light is on, that's a fail. I plan to buy my own reset tool ;-)

I have joined a couple of car clubs, so I'm getting loads of local knowledge.

And yes, I bought a truck
Old May 7th 2013, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

pbut is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd love a dodge ram. That noise! OOOooooooo Wouldn't be the most practical thing to run though considering were currently doing 100k one way travelling to the place of work.

Been looking at something like a ford f-150, 1990-ish. still has a 4.7l but that may be slightly cheaper than a full blown 6.something lol.

Currently using a works vehicle until we purchase our own..