British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   The ex-long distance commuter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/ex-long-distance-commuter-783457/)

Robin (The Gadget family) Jan 12th 2013 4:41 am

The ex-long distance commuter

1 Attachment(s)
I sit here in my living room in Black Creek listening to 'Train' loudly with no concern for disturbing neighbours like I would in the UK because our neighbours here are too far away to disturb even if I screamed very loudly. My other half Andy, is on a training course in Vancouver, my daughter is socializing at Courtenay swimming pool, my son is in his cabin below the house and I am home alone quite contentedly.

I still can't quite believe that I don't have to jump on a plane back to work in the UK again. I am officially a lady of leisure now, though loosely, because there are just aren't enough hours in a day and my 'to do' list just gets longer as the days go by, not shorter.

Can you believe that our journey to Canada has taken 6 years and 3 months from the point of deciding to look into how we could immigrate, to my permanent arrival last month? The waiting list was predicted to be 48 months when we applied so we just planned for a long process.

I am happy here, our house needs alot of work, a bit like our house in the UK 20 years ago but we have time on our side now that I am not working. We have 1.1 acres of land which to us is huge, and plenty to build a workshop, a vegetable patch, have a greenhouse and still plenty of undeveloped garden to enjoy. We have a 27' C & C sailing boat for summer sailing at a marina 45 mins away and we have Colin the camper, an ancient 20' motorhome that will do us for landbased weekends away. We also have 3 old vehicles for transport and when I say old I mean that the two cars cost $1,000 a piece and the truck about double that.

Andy got a job in November and started earning a decent wage so that the downward slide of our savings has stopped at last, (just as well cos there wasn't much left in the pot). During the 16 months that he was here with the kids he started a property maintenance business but there wasn't enough work around to stop the slide so he had to get a 'proper' job.

I visited for long periods 3 times during the 16 months, including 7 weeks during the summer and each time it was so heart-wrenching to have to get on that plane to leave my family yet again.

My income helped to support them too, I lodged with friends and Andy's parents to keep my living costs down.

My daughter has formed a much closer bond with Andy and my son and is quite a bit more protective of them both than she was before. I think that she has spent more time with them here than she would have done in the UK. On that subject, since I've been here she and I have spent much more time together than we would have done in the UK because of where we live here. We live at the end of a 17km road with only a bus service and no shops.......It means that I am a pretty busy free taxi service now...

Both kids have been snowboarding quite alot, Mount Washington is about an hours drive away and despite the cost, we wanted to encourage more of an outdoor life and this is all part of that. My daughter plays on a soccer team 3 times a week and is very proud of her fitness level and flat stomach!

We have allowed the kids dog and a cat here, that our lifestyle in the UK prevented us from having due to being out at work all day and travelling abroad for weeks at a time during the summer. Dakota is a german shepherd/malamute mix that is Max's responsibility and Carlos is a grey cat chosen by Kelda.

I struggle with bank terminology here, out go direct debits and standing orders and in come pre-authorised payments. There are lots of other differences that I haven't figured out yet. I like the RBC online banking services, which includes a pie chart of how we spend from our account over a selected period. I'm still exploring how we can best make use of the account that we have to pay monthly for......

I've handed in my UK driving licence, received my BC one and promptly had to return it because they omitted to include my motorbike licence and in BC this is a category included in the exchange.

My mother is here now too, my brother sponsored her soon after we decided to come here and she got her visa last July. My brother is just completing altering a cottage/cabin that he has on his property that he lived in whilst building his house many years ago. This will be home for mum who is now 81 and in need of our support increasingly as her mental faculties seem to be deteriorating.

We've had quite a good fall of snow this winter so far and I have learnt that it's a good idea to park the car on the roadside rather than find that you can't get the car out of the drive.....

I've learnt to bring wood for the stove in well in advance and dry it out by the side of the stove.

I love that I see my brother every day and that I'll be here to see my twin nieces turn 16 next week.

I love the scenery both towards the mountains and across the sea to the distant mountain range along the BC coast.

Most of all I love that I am a part of family life again and no longer a long distance commuter.

Reidies Jan 12th 2013 3:17 pm

Re: The ex-long distance commuter

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 10478440)
I sit here in my living room in Black Creek listening to 'Train' loudly with no concern for disturbing neighbours like I would in the UK because our neighbours here are too far away to disturb even if I screamed very loudly. My other half Andy, is on a training course in Vancouver, my daughter is socializing at Courtenay swimming pool, my son is in his cabin below the house and I am home alone quite contentedly.

I still can't quite believe that I don't have to jump on a plane back to work in the UK again. I am officially a lady of leisure now, though loosely, because there are just aren't enough hours in a day and my 'to do' list just gets longer as the days go by, not shorter.

Can you believe that our journey to Canada has taken 6 years and 3 months from the point of deciding to look into how we could immigrate, to my permanent arrival last month? The waiting list was predicted to be 48 months when we applied so we just planned for a long process.

I am happy here, our house needs alot of work, a bit like our house in the UK 20 years ago but we have time on our side now that I am not working. We have 1.1 acres of land which to us is huge, and plenty to build a workshop, a vegetable patch, have a greenhouse and still plenty of undeveloped garden to enjoy. We have a 27' C & C sailing boat for summer sailing at a marina 45 mins away and we have Colin the camper, an ancient 20' motorhome that will do us for landbased weekends away. We also have 3 old vehicles for transport and when I say old I mean that the two cars cost $1,000 a piece and the truck about double that.

Andy got a job in November and started earning a decent wage so that the downward slide of our savings has stopped at last, (just as well cos there wasn't much left in the pot). During the 16 months that he was here with the kids he started a property maintenance business but there wasn't enough work around to stop the slide so he had to get a 'proper' job.

I visited for long periods 3 times during the 16 months, including 7 weeks during the summer and each time it was so heart-wrenching to have to get on that plane to leave my family yet again.

My income helped to support them too, I lodged with friends and Andy's parents to keep my living costs down.

My daughter has formed a much closer bond with Andy and my son and is quite a bit more protective of them both than she was before. I think that she has spent more time with them here than she would have done in the UK. On that subject, since I've been here she and I have spent much more time together than we would have done in the UK because of where we live here. We live at the end of a 17km road with only a bus service and no shops.......It means that I am a pretty busy free taxi service now...

Both kids have been snowboarding quite alot, Mount Washington is about an hours drive away and despite the cost, we wanted to encourage more of an outdoor life and this is all part of that. My daughter plays on a soccer team 3 times a week and is very proud of her fitness level and flat stomach!

We have allowed the kids dog and a cat here, that our lifestyle in the UK prevented us from having due to being out at work all day and travelling abroad for weeks at a time during the summer. Dakota is a german shepherd/malamute mix that is Max's responsibility and Carlos is a grey cat chosen by Kelda.

I struggle with bank terminology here, out go direct debits and standing orders and in come pre-authorised payments. There are lots of other differences that I haven't figured out yet. I like the RBC online banking services, which includes a pie chart of how we spend from our account over a selected period. I'm still exploring how we can best make use of the account that we have to pay monthly for......

I've handed in my UK driving licence, received my BC one and promptly had to return it because they omitted to include my motorbike licence and in BC this is a category included in the exchange.

My mother is here now too, my brother sponsored her soon after we decided to come here and she got her visa last July. My brother is just completing altering a cottage/cabin that he has on his property that he lived in whilst building his house many years ago. This will be home for mum who is now 81 and in need of our support increasingly as her mental faculties seem to be deteriorating.

We've had quite a good fall of snow this winter so far and I have learnt that it's a good idea to park the car on the roadside rather than find that you can't get the car out of the drive.....

I've learnt to bring wood for the stove in well in advance and dry it out by the side of the stove.

I love that I see my brother every day and that I'll be here to see my twin nieces turn 16 next week.

I love the scenery both towards the mountains and across the sea to the distant mountain range along the BC coast.

Most of all I love that I am a part of family life again and no longer a long distance commuter.

Congrats to another 2007er! It sounds as if everything is working out. I still feel sorry for some of the other 2007ers who couldn't come over.
Hope it continues to go well for you.

luvmeboys Jan 12th 2013 8:09 pm

Hi, what a great post:thumbup:
we arrived on Vancouver Island in June last year. The first six months were not great, not for any particular reason, I just couldn't settle - didn't like the house we rented, missed my kids etc.

Anyhoo, we have had our gorgeous boys over for Christmas which was a blast :thumbsup: and we are about to move into our new place on Shawnigan Lake in a fortnight (love using that word, my Canadian pals don't know what it is!).

We also have 1.5 acres and I also want to have a veg patch and berries but Oh is worried that it will attract bears :thumbdown:
How to get around that :confused:

burton bunch Jan 14th 2013 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 10478440)

Oh Robin I could have just balled my eyes out darling reading that post.

I really really cant believe that you are really now here and able to enjoy this beautiful country - I seem to have been here a life time now. I have learnt so much and changed so much with my experience of living the Canadian Lifestyle.

For you and me life can only get better as we are finally all here together with all of our families.

Be sure to take every day as it comes and enjoy this new life that you so rightly deserve.

God bless to you all xxx

ann m Jan 14th 2013 1:36 am

Wow Robin - finally girl - at long bloody last! :D

I had no idea your family were already here - I must have missed out on quite a few posts somewhere along the line. That must have been soooo hard.

So congrats on the move, delighted for you - and it all sounds like the planning and numerous visits have put you in exactly the right place. And what a change from your last home. Pictures eventually please!

After anticipating a 2007/2008 move, I bet you can't quite believe you are here.

Wishing you all so much happiness on the Island - when we finally get off our arses and get out there, I'll be in touch.

Lovely update - cheers m'dear! :drinkwine:

james.mc Jan 14th 2013 9:30 am

Nice write up Robin and so pleased that you have finally made the one way trip!

We're hopefully not too far behind... heading for Sooke.

We must try to catch up one of these days once the dust has settled from our move. :)

All the best
James n Gina

JamesM Jan 16th 2013 12:56 am

Congratulations Robin. Pleased you finally made it!

Robin (The Gadget family) Jan 16th 2013 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Reidies (Post 10479061)
Congrats to another 2007er! It sounds as if everything is working out. I still feel sorry for some of the other 2007ers who couldn't come over.
Hope it continues to go well for you.

Thanks Reidies, You're right about others that didn't make it, espially coffeepot!

Originally Posted by luvmeboys (Post 10479343)
Hi, what a great post:thumbup:
we arrived on Vancouver Island in June last year. The first six months were not great, not for any particular reason, I just couldn't settle - didn't like the house we rented, missed my kids etc.

Anyhoo, we have had our gorgeous boys over for Christmas which was a blast :thumbsup: and we are about to move into our new place on Shawnigan Lake in a fortnight (love using that word, my Canadian pals don't know what it is!).

We also have 1.5 acres and I also want to have a veg patch and berries but Oh is worried that it will attract bears :thumbdown:
How to get around that :confused:

I'm glad that things are more settled for you now though, so pleased for you, having your own home helps, I don't miss anything so far.....

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 10481239)
Oh Robin I could have just balled my eyes out darling reading that post.

I really really cant believe that you are really now here and able to enjoy this beautiful country - I seem to have been here a life time now. I have learnt so much and changed so much with my experience of living the Canadian Lifestyle.

For you and me life can only get better as we are finally all here together with all of our families.

Be sure to take every day as it comes and enjoy this new life that you so rightly deserve.

God bless to you all xxx

Thanks Gaynor, seems along way from our Sherwood Forest Canadian wannabe meet.

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10481314)
Wow Robin - finally girl - at long bloody last! :D

I had no idea your family were already here - I must have missed out on quite a few posts somewhere along the line. That must have been soooo hard.

So congrats on the move, delighted for you - and it all sounds like the planning and numerous visits have put you in exactly the right place. And what a change from your last home. Pictures eventually please!

After anticipating a 2007/2008 move, I bet you can't quite believe you are here.

Wishing you all so much happiness on the Island - when we finally get off our arses and get out there, I'll be in touch.

Lovely update - cheers m'dear! :drinkwine:

Ann, it would be lovely to finally meet you, you and yours would be welcome to come and stay....

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 10481750)
Nice write up Robin and so pleased that you have finally made the one way trip!

We're hopefully not too far behind... heading for Sooke.

We must try to catch up one of these days once the dust has settled from our move. :)

All the best
James n Gina

Hi James n Gina, have you bought a home in Sooke yet? Those pics that you put up on facebook of houses that you'd visited looked absolutely lovely and a far cry from what we have here but we are happy not to have a mortgage anymore. Let me know when you are here.

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 10485339)
Congratulations Robin. Pleased you finally made it!

Thanks JamesM

james.mc Jan 19th 2013 9:55 pm

Hi Robin

Yep.... we are buying the log home (the one in my Facebook album) :) Planning on landing late next month. We'll stay in touch and keep you up to date ;)

Ailsa n Dave Jan 20th 2013 9:46 am

Hi Robin,

Great post very inspiring and shows that all the waiting effort and hard work pays off in the end. Best of luck to you and yours, Enjoy!! You earned it!

My Aunt lives in Naniamo and it was trips there and seeing the Island as a kid made me want to make the move...

Ails xx

Kaye5 Jan 21st 2013 4:07 pm

Just spotted this! Wonderful to hear it is all working out for you at last - and that Max got his dog!

You inspire hope in me that one day it will all work out for us too. Still here.... waiting... nearly 3 years now but nowhere near your 6. Kinda puts it in perspective.

Hope things continue to move onwards and upwards for you, Robin.

:)

emmabell Jan 23rd 2013 4:44 am

Wow what a story, must of been really hard for you.
What a great family you have to cope all that time without you, well done to you all.
We really love the island and are lucky enough to have a winter job caretaking over at a marina near Bamfield (tops up our UK pensions). Think having such a lovely place to live helps you settle down easier.
Well done :D