Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Can't believe we have been here 15 months and what a journey

Can't believe we have been here 15 months and what a journey

Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future
Default Can't believe we have been here 15 months and what a journey

It all started in Sept 2008 we landed in Calgary as hubby is an electrician and managed to secure a job whilst still in the UK. When we arrived at first it was euphoric as there was so much to do and sort out. Luckily, a realtor was recommended to us from the UK who found us somewhere to rent whilst we were still in the UK which took a lot of pressure off us. We went out and had a spending spree purchasing a car, furniture, etc.... Everything seemed exciting and meeting new people was great fun. The schooling was easy to sort out when you knew how and health care etc... but it took a while to find simple items in the supermarkets as they are named differently and getting used to the food as well. The weather was exciting at first seeing so much snow and especially at Christmas as it looked so magical. But after Christmas 2008 things started to become a strain as the company my hubby worked for started laying off people and we were so heavily reliant on our work permit it became quite stressful and living day for day as we didn't know what was going to happen. Some days we would plan our way back to the UK which was always a plan b or even c but life really did go on hold. I tried to find a job but to no avail. Some days I would send my resume out to over 25 or more companies and would hear from only 2 if I was lucky. Life felt quite bleak for a while and then on 21st July we had the best news ever our permanent residency. All the heartache and stress ebbed away from us as if someone had lifted the lid off a pressure cooker and we could finally look forward to the future. We moved into a small town just outside Calgary and bought our house and puppy that the kids wanted so much. Life just felt so good and then I managed to get a job as a bank teller. So for anyone out there who feels like giving up try to hang in there if you can as the reward is amazing and makes all the hardwork and stress worth it. I wish everyone good luck with their venture and hope that there canadian dream comes true
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't believe we have been here 15 months and what a journey

Originally Posted by amardan
It all started in Sept 2008 we landed in Calgary as hubby is an electrician and managed to secure a job whilst still in the UK. When we arrived at first it was euphoric as there was so much to do and sort out. Luckily, a realtor was recommended to us from the UK who found us somewhere to rent whilst we were still in the UK which took a lot of pressure off us. We went out and had a spending spree purchasing a car, furniture, etc.... Everything seemed exciting and meeting new people was great fun. The schooling was easy to sort out when you knew how and health care etc... but it took a while to find simple items in the supermarkets as they are named differently and getting used to the food as well. The weather was exciting at first seeing so much snow and especially at Christmas as it looked so magical. But after Christmas 2008 things started to become a strain as the company my hubby worked for started laying off people and we were so heavily reliant on our work permit it became quite stressful and living day for day as we didn't know what was going to happen. Some days we would plan our way back to the UK which was always a plan b or even c but life really did go on hold. I tried to find a job but to no avail. Some days I would send my resume out to over 25 or more companies and would hear from only 2 if I was lucky. Life felt quite bleak for a while and then on 21st July we had the best news ever our permanent residency. All the heartache and stress ebbed away from us as if someone had lifted the lid off a pressure cooker and we could finally look forward to the future. We moved into a small town just outside Calgary and bought our house and puppy that the kids wanted so much. Life just felt so good and then I managed to get a job as a bank teller. So for anyone out there who feels like giving up try to hang in there if you can as the reward is amazing and makes all the hardwork and stress worth it. I wish everyone good luck with their venture and hope that there canadian dream comes true
What a lovely post - just shows that if you roll with the punches things do work out right.

Good luck with the rest of your new life
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:22 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!

Lovely post.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Well done - best of luck for the future
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:41 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

A nice post. Good luck for your future.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:27 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

What a nice post, glad you are settled and enjoying life in Alberta.

Congratulations
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Fab post very inspiring good luck for the future
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:41 am
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Wow what an adventure for you so far. I am so glad that things worked out well for you.

Congratulations and good luck for you future
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:40 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

so nice to hear that its all worked out so well for you
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

well done and a nice thread to read

Just a quick question i am also a electrician and find it very hard to get a job or a response from the companies where i sent my cv as i do not not have the crenditials or the red seal as most canadians firms have asked for. Any tips would be great

Many thanks

Graham
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:51 pm
MSM
Forum Regular

MSM will become famous soon enough

So pleased everything worked out for you. All the best for the future.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

What a nice post! So glad its worked out for you and that you are all very happy!

Take care

Lisa

Old May 13th 2010, 7:25 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Lovely to hear that things have worked out for you!