Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Been Here a Year.....

Been Here a Year.....

Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

PROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant future
Default Been Here a Year.....

Good Afternoon All

It's been a Year (Sat) Since my wife & I moved Lock, Stock and LeedsUnited Barrel's to Canada and I thought I might share my year.

Leaving the Motherland wasn't as hard as I thought It would be, I guess if you have spoken about it for so long, my brain was ingrained to think that at some point I would be moving to Alberta. After tear's & beer's were finished, Custom's on the Canadian side isn't hard what so ever, in fact the warm welcome at Calgary Airport was brilliant. 1 tip I would give...We stayed overnight at ***Chester Airport and it just relaxed us....Saying goodbye, getting a send off and more tears leaving/arriving at the airport didn't appeal to me so we stayed at belays, nice meal and had a sleep etc...Won't work for everyone but worked for us

1st couple of weeks are tough, no getting around it. I have been coming to Canada for the last 7 years yet I still found it hard! Losing all the ingrained British things take time (Driving, Phrases, Accent etc...) Best thing I did was get out and explore and just take everything as it comes, simple advise but it works.

I made sure to get SIN, Banking, Drivers Licence, Health etc... sorted ASAP. Get it out of the way, meet some locals and start to network, the accent is an Ice breaker everytime (The Ladies love it ) RBC is great so go there.

As home sickness ebbed away, I decided to look for a job or at least look like I am! One thing I learned, don't undersell yourself, Don't apologize for being British (Qualifications etc) The firms I spoke to, Loved the fact that i had oversea's experience. Interviews are pretty cool, Go with a smile and tell them your experiences, I was 2 for 2 in Job offers (I like to think my looks helped!).

I found getting some independence helped, the wife was coming home, living with the In laws until the house is built etc... For the spouse who's emigrating, its great to get some interaction away from the family. I joined the local golf club and went from there. Hard I know but it had to be done

Getting a SUV/Car was pretty simple, Make sure you get a veichle that fits your enviroment! Snow & Soft tops not a good mix!

Banking is different to the UK - But getting help is so easy but RBC are great (Do you get the feeling that I work for them?? )

Above are just a few thoughts, still miss

1) Good TV (BBC is brilliant compared to North America)
2) A Curry
3) Going to the Footie
4) Family

But I wouldn't change it for anything - Canada is a different pace of life, I don't get judged on how much my Suit cost, People Smile and I feel welcome. Thank you for anyone who helped us move/offer advice etc...and good luck to anyone who is moving...enjoy it.

1 year and counting

Phil & Kyla
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been Here a Year.....

HAPPY CANNIVERSARY!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to hear how you are enjoying living the dream. Thanks for sharing. I like your comment about not being judged by how much your suit cost even though you work for RBC and still have to look the part by wearing one.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:31 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I was 2 for 2 in Job offers (I like to think my looks helped!)
Pics please

Sorry, just realised you are a bloke.. cancel that request.

Last edited by Danny B; Oct 10th 2007 at 10:49 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PROLLINSON
Good Afternoon All

It's been a Year (Sat) Since my wife & I moved Lock, Stock and LeedsUnited Barrel's to Canada and I thought I might share my year.

Leaving the Motherland wasn't as hard as I thought It would be, I guess if you have spoken about it for so long, my brain was ingrained to think that at some point I would be moving to Alberta. After tear's & beer's were finished, Custom's on the Canadian side isn't hard what so ever, in fact the warm welcome at Calgary Airport was brilliant. 1 tip I would give...We stayed overnight at ***Chester Airport and it just relaxed us....Saying goodbye, getting a send off and more tears leaving/arriving at the airport didn't appeal to me so we stayed at belays, nice meal and had a sleep etc...Won't work for everyone but worked for us

1st couple of weeks are tough, no getting around it. I have been coming to Canada for the last 7 years yet I still found it hard! Losing all the ingrained British things take time (Driving, Phrases, Accent etc...) Best thing I did was get out and explore and just take everything as it comes, simple advise but it works.

I made sure to get SIN, Banking, Drivers Licence, Health etc... sorted ASAP. Get it out of the way, meet some locals and start to network, the accent is an Ice breaker everytime (The Ladies love it ) RBC is great so go there.

As home sickness ebbed away, I decided to look for a job or at least look like I am! One thing I learned, don't undersell yourself, Don't apologize for being British (Qualifications etc) The firms I spoke to, Loved the fact that i had oversea's experience. Interviews are pretty cool, Go with a smile and tell them your experiences, I was 2 for 2 in Job offers (I like to think my looks helped!).

I found getting some independence helped, the wife was coming home, living with the In laws until the house is built etc... For the spouse who's emigrating, its great to get some interaction away from the family. I joined the local golf club and went from there. Hard I know but it had to be done

Getting a SUV/Car was pretty simple, Make sure you get a veichle that fits your enviroment! Snow & Soft tops not a good mix!

Banking is different to the UK - But getting help is so easy but RBC are great (Do you get the feeling that I work for them?? )

Above are just a few thoughts, still miss

1) Good TV (BBC is brilliant compared to North America)
2) A Curry
3) Going to the Footie
4) Family

But I wouldn't change it for anything - Canada is a different pace of life, I don't get judged on how much my Suit cost, People Smile and I feel welcome. Thank you for anyone who helped us move/offer advice etc...and good luck to anyone who is moving...enjoy it.

1 year and counting

Phil & Kyla
Congratulations on your first year !!!! doesnt time fly.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary!

Glad it's going well.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 2:04 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy Canniversary!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Phil and Kyla

Can't believe that it is already a year for you guys - Congratulations

I understand it perfectly well that it is still hard even for Phil even tho Kyla was coming home to her family - people thought that it would be mega easy for me coming here to the Bridge already having a circle of friends and family here. Takes some adjusting doesn't it !

Lethbridge is such a beautiful place to live and a day doesn't go by without me thinking how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful spot.

When will you be in your house ? We nearly bought down on Coulle Creek but ended up on Tudor - we move in on Friday

May the next year bring even more happiness for you both.

Will drop you a line when we have our get together hun so that you two dont miss out.

BTW RBC were great with us for our mortgage but sssshhhhhhhh dont tell the father in law

gaynorx
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

PROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant futurePROLLINSON has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Phil and Kyla

Can't believe that it is already a year for you guys - Congratulations

I understand it perfectly well that it is still hard even for Phil even tho Kyla was coming home to her family - people thought that it would be mega easy for me coming here to the Bridge already having a circle of friends and family here. Takes some adjusting doesn't it !

Lethbridge is such a beautiful place to live and a day doesn't go by without me thinking how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful spot.

When will you be in your house ? We nearly bought down on Coulle Creek but ended up on Tudor - we move in on Friday

May the next year bring even more happiness for you both.

Will drop you a line when we have our get together hun so that you two dont miss out.

BTW RBC were great with us for our mortgage but sssshhhhhhhh dont tell the father in law

gaynorx
Gaynor

We hope to be in my Mid May - Should be digging in the next 10 days or so. The new builds are taking upto 7 months to complete so were going with a conservative time frame. The Sub Division is springing up now, we thought we might be one of the 1st....we will be one of the last.

I hope your possession goes swimmingly and enjoy your 1st Canuk home!

Phil
Old Oct 13th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Gaynor

We hope to be in my Mid May - Should be digging in the next 10 days or so. The new builds are taking upto 7 months to complete so were going with a conservative time frame. The Sub Division is springing up now, we thought we might be one of the 1st....we will be one of the last.

I hope your possession goes swimmingly and enjoy your 1st Canuk home!

Phil
Happy Canniversary from us lot as well. Long may it continue x
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Guitar Fish is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=PROLLINSON;5410710]Good Afternoon All

Leaving the Motherland wasn't as hard as I thought It would be

I joined the local golf club and went from there. Hard I know but it had to be done

Hi Phil,

Happy Leth-iversary... Doesn't sound as good as Happy Canniversary does it, but I was just trying to be different

Gotta to agree on the leaving bit, haven't really missed a thing about it yet.

We finally made it here around 3 weeks ago and after landing we have got a rental place, a car (a temporary measure), and a job!

Just got to sign up to a decent golf club (did I say decent, I mean any )... can you recommend any?... are any still open?!

Congrats and here's too many more and years!!

Sean
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:31 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Easter
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Guitar Fish;5425712]

Just got to sign up to a decent golf club (did I say decent, I mean any )... can you recommend any?... are any still open?!

Congrats and here's too many more and years!!

Sean
Dont ask Phil about Golf - Kyla will be a golf widow

Gaynor

ps - dont you two get my Phil involved either

Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sean

3 in Lethbridge

1) Country Club (Expensive & Tough to walk..next to cemetery)
2) Paradise Canyon (West side, resort type course, you buy rounds rather than a membership I think, bit of a drive and I thought it was also expensive)
3) Henderson Lake (I'm a member here, fitted in well, toughest of the 3 but easy walk, plenty of tourneys thru the year, Mens league as well (Mons & Thurs) and not too expensive....I think I paid about $900 but don't quote me on it.

Most course's are closing on the 21st Oct I think.

Thru the winter - We use Evergreen, they have a Par 3 course that stay's open all year around and is pretty tough.

Hope it helps

Phil
Old Oct 19th 2007, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Guitar Fish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sean

3 in Lethbridge

1) Country Club (Expensive & Tough to walk..next to cemetery)
2) Paradise Canyon (West side, resort type course, you buy rounds rather than a membership I think, bit of a drive and I thought it was also expensive)
3) Henderson Lake (I'm a member here, fitted in well, toughest of the 3 but easy walk, plenty of tourneys thru the year, Mens league as well (Mons & Thurs) and not too expensive....I think I paid about $900 but don't quote me on it.

Most course's are closing on the 21st Oct I think.

Thru the winter - We use Evergreen, they have a Par 3 course that stay's open all year around and is pretty tough.

Hope it helps

Phil
Henderson lake here we come then, although I guess it'll be next year now. Looks like Evergreen for the winter, gotta get my average up from 5 rounds a year!!

Cheers Phil and look out for crazy englishmen on the golf courses!!