Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:41 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,307
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Wow, another year...

Much quieter than the first but no complaints there... Still in south western Nova Scotia in our house on the lake and still working hard.. Been having lots of fun too and have made some great friends... I also trained as a hypnotherapist this summer! Having tons of fun with that too!

Plans ahead though. Maybe big changes ahead but not until next year.

We have reached the conclusion that living in the middle of nowhere has its limitations... My skill set is transferable to many businesses but hubby is stuck in his job. If he wants to change jobs, we have to move to another area...so that's what we will be doing...

Question is Halifax or Toronto? Hmmm...
DandNHill is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2013, 10:16 pm
  #2  
BE user by choice
 
MillieF's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
Posts: 4,854
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Oh nice to hear your update D&N, I remember your first Canniversary, as it was just after I arrived and was feeling discombobulated!

Have you visited Halifax? I haven't, but I've heard very good things about it. Lots of the Canadians who I like tell me it's a really super City. I hope to get there shortly. I have a DIL in Toronto, and she's very happy. Very best of luck with your decisions
MillieF is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:41 pm
  #3  
Pondering a career change
 
Mikeypm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
Posts: 2,595
Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Congrats on another year
Mikeypm is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:21 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,307
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh nice to hear your update D&N, I remember your first Canniversary, as it was just after I arrived and was feeling discombobulated!

Have you visited Halifax? I haven't, but I've heard very good things about it. Lots of the Canadians who I like tell me it's a really super City. I hope to get there shortly. I have a DIL in Toronto, and she's very happy. Very best of luck with your decisions
Halifax is where we go shopping...3 hours away. These days there is nowhere in Yarmouth to buy kids clothes other than Superstore and Walmart...choices are very limited for other things too... maybe with the ferry coming back things will improve...

We spoke to a realtor about selling the house (2 units) we have in town as our first step to leaving the area. Unfortunately we paid $110,000, spent approx $10,000 modernising it and it is now estimated to be worth $80,000 so it looks as though we will be keeping it for a while... the economy is so depressed down here!
Hopefully our house out of town, where we live might do better!

Halifax is a lovely little city...I would be very happy there I believe...there is even a job for me there if that is where we chose but my hubby wants to go somewhere larger with more choices so who knows where we will end up...
But isn't that part of the adventure?
DandNHill is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:06 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Almonte, ON
Posts: 1,061
ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

I would choose Halifax over Toronto.

1) proximity to the Ocean
2) smaller = less commute
3) you could live in a suburb and still have only a shortish commute.
4) still NS so no change in health care

I love Toronto but would never want to live there unless I won the lottery and could live near High Park with Lake view

Congratulations on your 2nd Canniversary and I hope the house will sell well when you need/want to sell.

Good luck where ever you go or stay
ninaDGBCA is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:07 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Posts: 1,190
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Halifax is where we go shopping...3 hours away. These days there is nowhere in Yarmouth to buy kids clothes other than Superstore and Walmart...choices are very limited for other things too... maybe with the ferry coming back things will improve...
I am currently feeling your pain on this one.

And is it my imagination, or is George at Walmart a lot worse than George at Asda? Asda - well, we'd get 3 months out of trainers. Here - 3 weeks and they fall apart! Son's joggers lasted about the same time. The kids are still wearing Asda George clothes that we bought last year. Now I don't expect much, but 3 weeks...!

We are now testing Joe at Atlantic Superstore - see if their stuff lasts any longer.

Here in Bridgewater it is the same - kids clothes only in Walmart, AS and Giant Tiger. Haven't tried GT yet.

Husband has taken to shopping at Frenchys.
Kaye5 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:25 am
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Tortilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Congratulations on year number 2!

I am really interested in your hypnotherapy training - would you message me some details? I am living in the Annapolis Valley, so not too far away.

As for your next step, the idea of driving in and around Toronto sends chills down my spine. We were there last year and the roads are not for the faint hearted. That being said, it would offer a great contrast to Yarmouth in size, pace and clothing retailers!

Good luck with your decision, hope it all continues to work out well for you.
Tortilla is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:13 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,307
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by Kaye5
I am currently feeling your pain on this one.

And is it my imagination, or is George at Walmart a lot worse than George at Asda? Asda - well, we'd get 3 months out of trainers. Here - 3 weeks and they fall apart! Son's joggers lasted about the same time. The kids are still wearing Asda George clothes that we bought last year. Now I don't expect much, but 3 weeks...!

We are now testing Joe at Atlantic Superstore - see if their stuff lasts any longer.

Here in Bridgewater it is the same - kids clothes only in Walmart, AS and Giant Tiger. Haven't tried GT yet.

Husband has taken to shopping at Frenchys.
Everybody swears by Frenchys down here...I used to love charity shops in the uk but I can't get my head around Frenchys. Maybe I could get some training from your other half?
DandNHill is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:07 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Posts: 1,190
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Everybody swears by Frenchys down here...I used to love charity shops in the uk but I can't get my head around Frenchys. Maybe I could get some training from your other half?
...and my 13 year old. I can never find a thing! I see young beautiful ladies coming out with armfuls and my OH and son always come out with something.

I think if you are "medium" sized you stand a better chance than if any other size.
Kaye5 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:21 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,307
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by Kaye5
...and my 13 year old. I can never find a thing! I see young beautiful ladies coming out with armfuls and my OH and son always come out with something.

I think if you are "medium" sized you stand a better chance than if any other size.
It's an art form for sure... Some people start in Yarmouth and go to every Frenchys "up the line" which basically means between Yarmouth and Digby. Some other Moms tell me they bought all these amazing clothes there and point at the brand names and so on but I really need more practice!!!!!

BTW didn't your kids start school here this year? How did they get on?
DandNHill is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:38 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Posts: 1,190
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It's an art form for sure... Some people start in Yarmouth and go to every Frenchys "up the line" which basically means between Yarmouth and Digby. Some other Moms tell me they bought all these amazing clothes there and point at the brand names and so on but I really need more practice!!!!!

BTW didn't your kids start school here this year? How did they get on?
Ha ha - yes, they swear by it here too! Designer gear for a few $$s! I clearly lack the knack so to speak. Possibly because I couldn't recognise a designer brand if it was shoved in my face (which they are in Frenchys - apparently).

Yes - all three started this week. One of each - elementary, JH, SH. All seem ok - youngest two were enthusing; eldest too smooth to groove but that's normal.

Hate to say it, but we probably aren't here long term. I'm not really having much success finding work, so will no doubt head to Halifax. Can't face a long commute so we will probably end up moving closer to the city and they will need to change schools. They like it here - and so do I - but 11 to 12 hour days then home to hours of housework really isn't what I came here for.

Thinking somewhere between Chester, towards Hubbards/Upper Tantallon, which was our original plan - still south shore but shorter commute and keeps us out of the city itself (we want to avoid city suburbia). There's a commuter service from Upper Tantallon if you fancy looking around there - 40 mins into the city. I'm trying it out on Monday!

Though probably won't cut it if your OH fancies the big city.
Kaye5 is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:39 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,307
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Ha ha - yes, they swear by it here too! Designer gear for a few $$s! I clearly lack the knack so to speak. Possibly because I couldn't recognise a designer brand if it was shoved in my face (which they are in Frenchys - apparently).

Yes - all three started this week. One of each - elementary, JH, SH. All seem ok - youngest two were enthusing; eldest too smooth to groove but that's normal.

Hate to say it, but we probably aren't here long term. I'm not really having much success finding work, so will no doubt head to Halifax. Can't face a long commute so we will probably end up moving closer to the city and they will need to change schools. They like it here - and so do I - but 11 to 12 hour days then home to hours of housework really isn't what I came here for.

Thinking somewhere between Chester, towards Hubbards/Upper Tantallon, which was our original plan - still south shore but shorter commute and keeps us out of the city itself (we want to avoid city suburbia). There's a commuter service from Upper Tantallon if you fancy looking around there - 40 mins into the city. I'm trying it out on Monday!

Though probably won't cut it if your OH fancies the big city.
We actually made progress tonight. We will probably go to Halifax for the time being... there is an opportunity there for me and I have told him that I am very uneasy at the idea of doubling our mortgage to get a decent house in Toronto... our best friends are trying to move over on the community identified stream so they have to come to NS. I would like to spend time with them and not leave the moment they arrive!!!
You're right about the area you mention, it's close yet not the city... my son lives in Timberlea which is a bit naff but slightly further out is nice...
We have a house on a lake, if we could find similar then OH might be happy!!!
DandNHill is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:02 pm
  #13  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by DandNHill
We actually made progress tonight. We will probably go to Halifax for the time being... there is an opportunity there for me and I have told him that I am very uneasy at the idea of doubling our mortgage to get a decent house in Toronto... our best friends are trying to move over on the community identified stream so they have to come to NS. I would like to spend time with them and not leave the moment they arrive!!!
You're right about the area you mention, it's close yet not the city... my son lives in Timberlea which is a bit naff but slightly further out is nice...
We have a house on a lake, if we could find similar then OH might be happy!!!
Will be nice having you closer
Howefamily is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:04 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,307
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Will be nice having you closer
Thanks... You are another reason I would prefer Halifax over Toronto!
DandNHill is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:16 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Posts: 1,190
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Aug 25th and that's two years for us!

Originally Posted by DandNHill
We actually made progress tonight. We will probably go to Halifax for the time being... there is an opportunity there for me and I have told him that I am very uneasy at the idea of doubling our mortgage to get a decent house in Toronto... our best friends are trying to move over on the community identified stream so they have to come to NS. I would like to spend time with them and not leave the moment they arrive!!!
You're right about the area you mention, it's close yet not the city... my son lives in Timberlea which is a bit naff but slightly further out is nice...
We have a house on a lake, if we could find similar then OH might be happy!!!
What's naff about Timberlea?

I haven't been there and it's probably just past the edge of where we're looking, but worth knowing what's "wrong" with it in case I find a dream home there!
Kaye5 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.