Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Almost missed my Canniversary

Almost missed my Canniversary

Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:12 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost missed my Canniversary

Originally Posted by BEVS
Congrats on your Canniversary Siouxie.

16 yrs is a fair old stint & certainly worth the reward of a bit of a road or train trip to see more of your adopted land.

I hope your UK trip is fun and happy. 13 yrs is a long time so I am sure you will make every single moment and day count for the very best possible.

You're a smashin' mod and a stalwart ambassador for the Canada forum.

Long may your Canada life rise to the best it absolutely can be.

Erm..... have crab sandwich with gritty bits for me when you go back to the UK and also a good proper ramble in the hedgerows. See a fox . A robin.
Eat great cheese and a huge plate of gammon

Ok I might have a sniffle now.. thank you for your very kind words, they really are appreciated.

I'm hoping to go back towards the end of September as it's my big brothers 70th birthday (shock horror, where did the years go) and then a week later one of my sisters 68th. It's also my eldest sisters 50th wedding anniversary in November, but she is in Canada.

Yes, I'm the baby, the afterthought, the unexpected one!

I'm looking forwards to meandering along a few coastal paths and beaches, a few bevvies in a country pub or two and a wander around the odd castle.. mixed in with meeting my great, great nephews for the first time and seeing the rest of the clan. I might take a trip down memory lane and visit the house I was born in in Bromley, the schools I attended and a few of the pubs I went into under age, lol. I'd love to spend a month there but economically it's not viable but if I had the time I'd also take a trip to a few old haunts in Kensington; Rye and Camber Sands, Bristol (waves at Bristol, no not you), Hastings, Worthing and Plymouth. Basically I'd love to do a tour of the country, lol.

It's going to be a sad trip as well as it's probably the last time I will see my brother - he's not in the best of health and doesn't travel anymore. My sister has the travel bug and will probably come out for her 3rd trip to Canada in the next year or tow (fingers crossed).

As for food - there's too many things that I will indulge in to name but I think I will be starting out with a really good pathia and balti!

Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think, with a bit of organization and just a little cheek, you could manage an almost free B&B trip across Canada - using all us BE contacts as your bases to see the areas on your list!
Old Jan 17th 2016, 12:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I think, with a bit of organization and just a little cheek, you could manage an almost free B&B trip across Canada - using all us BE contacts as your bases to see the areas on your list!
Oooooh now you are putting ideas in my head!

Old Jan 17th 2016, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oooooh now you are putting ideas in my head!

You'd certainly be very welcome in Kamloops......you wouldn't be the first strangers we have put up over the years, caught in bad snow storms etc lol.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 8:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AlvicBC
You'd certainly be very welcome in Kamloops......you wouldn't be the first strangers we have put up over the years, caught in bad snow storms etc lol.
We're not strangers - we're virtual acquaintances! (Does that count?)

You all know I'm keeping track of these offers don't you - and I thank you very much for them...

Old Jan 18th 2016, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Congrats on your Canniversary Siouxie.

16 yrs is a fair old stint & certainly worth the reward of a bit of a road or train trip to see more of your adopted land.

I hope your UK trip is fun and happy. 13 yrs is a long time so I am sure you will make every single moment and day count for the very best possible.

You're a smashin' mod and a stalwart ambassador for the Canada forum.

Long may your Canada life rise to the best it absolutely can be.

Erm..... have crab sandwich with gritty bits for me when you go back to the UK and also a good proper ramble in the hedgerows. See a fox . A robin.
Eat great cheese and a huge plate of gammon
Seconded, heartily, & with bells on!

Originally Posted by ann m
Brilliant idea .

A 'virtual acquaintance' (good description!) from another -completely unrelated - forum I belong to did something similar a couple of years ago & "blogged" it on the forum. We all had the most amazing fun following along . I think in the whole 2 month trip he only spent 3/4 nights in accommodation not provided by forum friends.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 4:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Seconded, heartily, & with bells on!

Brilliant idea .

A 'virtual acquaintance' (good description!) from another -completely unrelated - forum I belong to did something similar a couple of years ago & "blogged" it on the forum. We all had the most amazing fun following along . I think in the whole 2 month trip he only spent 3/4 nights in accommodation not provided by forum friends.
Aww thank you

I'll have to start a blog of my trip, should it ever happen! Good idea!

Old Jan 20th 2016, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

The 10th January was my 6th Canniversary as a PR; my almost 11th Canniversary of applying to become a PR; my 14 years and 7 days Canniversary of residing in Canada and my 16th and a bit Canniversary of first coming to Canada to visit.

Doesn't time fly when you are having fun (and even when you are not, lol).

I'm hoping to visit the UK later this year which will be my first trip back in 13 years, I've very mixed feelings about it as Canada is my home even if the UK is my homeland. I think the only things I really miss (even after all this time) are country pubs and historic castles! It will probably be my last trip back.. though I miss my sister and brother there's nothing else in the UK for me and I will spend the rest of my days in Canada.

I've a bucket list of things I want to see across Canada and am determined that one day (perhaps if I win Lotto Max!) I will take a leisurely tour across this great Country, stopping off to meet up with people that I've chatted with and visit places I've heard about on BE.

I've made some great 'virtual' mates on here - so thank you one and all, when times got a little lonely or low you were always there to cheer me up with your inane and insane threads and comments!

Congratulations on your various Canniversary milestones!!

Whenever i read your posts i always feel I have to same outlook and opinion of my new life in Canada and my old life in the UK that you hold.

You appear to embrace everything about your new home for what it is, and have had no trouble settling in and making Canadian friends, which many expats seem to have a real issue with.

I love exploring this country, what it lacks in "architecture and history" it makes up for in stunning natural beauty. So like you I have many bucket lists of places to visit and things I want to do here!

Like you Canada is my home now, and im happy here, and funnily enough the only thing i miss form the UK except for a few family members are the country pubs and the history side of things, ive always thought the UK has a very proud and rich history. Your trip over there after 13 years will certainly be an eye opener! but i think it will be enjoyable too.

I have visited the UK more times than you, but i think that is because my circumstances are different, as i have no kids of my own, i really miss my two nephews growing up, so that draws me over there, I dont want them to forget me!

Again, well done on your Canniversary, and heres to many more!

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jan 20th 2016 at 5:03 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Congratulations on your various Canniversary milestones!!

Whenever i read your posts i always feel I have to same outlook and opinion of my new life in Canada and my old life in the UK that you hold.

You appear to embrace everything about your new home for what it is, and have had no trouble settling in and making Canadian friends, which many expats seem to have a real issue with.

I love exploring this country, what it lacks in "architecture and history" it makes up for in stunning natural beauty. So like you I have many bucket lists of places to visit and things I want to do here!

Like you Canada is my home now, and im happy here, and funnily enough the only thing i miss form the UK except for a few family members are the country pubs and the history side of things, ive always thought the UK has a very proud and rich history. Your trip over there after 13 years will certainly be an eye opener! but i think it will be enjoyable too.

I have visited the UK more times than you, but i think that is because my circumstances are different, as i have no kids of my own, i really miss my two nephews growing up, so that draws me over there, I dont want them to forget me!

Again, well done on your Canniversary, and heres to many more!
Thanks so much, kindred spirits it seems!

I've great, great nephews I have yet to meet, so that is on my agenda for my next trip home - it's more finances than anything else that has stopped me from going back before - my only son is an adult.

I'm sure your nephews enjoy your visits, perhaps they could come and visit when they are older?

I think one of the reasons I settled relatively easily is because I had moved abroad before - to Hong Kong - when I was in my 20's and to be honest, I felt at home in Canada from the very first day I arrived as a visitor! Compared to moving to Hong Kong, this was a doddle.

Thanks again for your kind words and I hope that you continue to enjoy our life in Canada..

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:41 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Siouxie;11844546]Thanks so much, kindred spirits it seems!

I've great, great nephews I have yet to meet, so that is on my agenda for my next trip home - it's more finances than anything else that has stopped me from going back before - my only son is an adult.

I'm sure your nephews enjoy your visits, perhaps they could come and visit when they are older?

I think one of the reasons I settled relatively easily is because I had moved abroad before - to Hong Kong - when I was in my 20's and to be honest, I felt at home in Canada from the very first day I arrived as a visitor! Compared to moving to Hong Kong, this was a doddle.

Thanks again for your kind words and I hope that you continue to enjoy our life in Canada..

You have aged amazingly well- what is your secret??
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 5:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
\ Thanks so much, kindred spirits it seems!

You have aged amazingly well- what is your secret??
Cheeky blighter, I don't know whether to thank you or slap you!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 22nd 2016 at 5:59 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:42 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky blighter, I don't know whether to thank you or slap you!

Slap please
Old Jan 12th 2019, 3:39 pm
Banned

Woops, I did it again!
Another year has flown past.. but I'm still here and still loving living in this beautiful country. Not much else to report that hasn't been reported elsewhere, suffice to say that if anyone needs any info on the Hamilton area I've lived here 'quite a long time' lol

I never did make it back to the UK and sadly my brother passed away a few months after his 70th Birthday. My 'middle' sister turned 70 in 2018 and I didn't make it back for that either.. mitigating circumstances though because of the stroke and issues pertaining to that, I'm not supposed to fly... so a trip back to blighty is off the cards for the foreseeable future. Sadly that also means I can't fly to Van or NS - so I'll have to plan a train / road trip instead.............. roooooooooooooooooooood trip! One day!!!

Onwards and Upwards and don't let the bar stewards grind you down!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 12th 2019 at 3:55 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 5:18 pm
Banned

20 years ago I came to Canada - 10 Years today I landed as a PR -
Old Jan 13th 2020, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It got reopened again. Or is that opened again?

Congrats for another year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.