British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   Almost 8 years went by so quickly! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/almost-8-years-went-so-quickly-946864/)

Beckie and Morgan UK Jan 24th 2023 5:09 am

Almost 8 years went by so quickly!

Hi all,

we never did get round to changing our username lol (we are not in the Uk ha!)
Myself and my husband moved from Holmfirth, Huddersfield to Kelowna, BC in 2015.
we did a reccy in 2014 in the big six weeks holidays and travelled to lots of places, Kelowna actually wasn’t one of them BUT we did meet some people from the Okanagan at an hotel in Manchester for one of those Canadian meet up thingys.
We instantly wanted to go. At the time our points for work weren’t enough, I had a degree in education but without the QTS. I did have my NNEB in Nursery Nursing but again, at the time it wasn’t enough. My husband worked as a plumber/gas fitter in the Uk. We decided on the study route (Early Childhood Education) this was good for us because I was so sure I would go home after the two years of having a little adventure in another country. It was expensive though, I definitely remember that, we had to save all the money for the student fees and much more for living.
I almost moved back just before my two year diploma finished after suffering with extreme homesickness. I couldn’t throw it all away without waiting it out and one day it just clicked and although the homesickness can still be there for me, it’s just something that comes with the territory.
My husband started at a HVAC company and challenged the exam to get his red seal and tickets. He now works commercially.
Life in general is good. I own a daycare and enjoy being self employed working mostly outdoors forest school style.
I still love meeting Brits in Kelowna and just instantly warm to them, just love the banter and that connection.
We welcomed a baby girl end of 2019. We finally went home for a visit as a family this summer and it was just amazing. Hopping on trains, going to the pub, going to the Peak District. I definitely thought about moving back but England has changed so much since we left. I know it wasn’t that long but it really felt like that for us.
xx

shelley748 Jan 24th 2023 6:12 pm

Re: Almost 8 years went by so quickly!

Originally Posted by Beckie and Morgan UK (Post 13167796)
Hi all,

we never did get round to changing our username lol (we are not in the Uk ha!)
Myself and my husband moved from Holmfirth, Huddersfield to Kelowna, BC in 2015.
we did a reccy in 2014 in the big six weeks holidays and travelled to lots of places, Kelowna actually wasn’t one of them BUT we did meet some people from the Okanagan at an hotel in Manchester for one of those Canadian meet up thingys.
We instantly wanted to go. At the time our points for work weren’t enough, I had a degree in education but without the QTS. I did have my NNEB in Nursery Nursing but again, at the time it wasn’t enough. My husband worked as a plumber/gas fitter in the Uk. We decided on the study route (Early Childhood Education) this was good for us because I was so sure I would go home after the two years of having a little adventure in another country. It was expensive though, I definitely remember that, we had to save all the money for the student fees and much more for living.
I almost moved back just before my two year diploma finished after suffering with extreme homesickness. I couldn’t throw it all away without waiting it out and one day it just clicked and although the homesickness can still be there for me, it’s just something that comes with the territory.
My husband started at a HVAC company and challenged the exam to get his red seal and tickets. He now works commercially.
Life in general is good. I own a daycare and enjoy being self employed working mostly outdoors forest school style.
I still love meeting Brits in Kelowna and just instantly warm to them, just love the banter and that connection.
We welcomed a baby girl end of 2019. We finally went home for a visit as a family this summer and it was just amazing. Hopping on trains, going to the pub, going to the Peak District. I definitely thought about moving back but England has changed so much since we left. I know it wasn’t that long but it really felt like that for us.
xx

nice update!

Beckie and Morgan UK Jan 29th 2023 4:10 am

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 13167971)
nice update!

Thank-you x

mdonald1987 Feb 21st 2023 11:11 am

I love reading these updates. We're aiming to move to Vernon, once my wife converts her nursing qualifications (which is now funded in BC!). The BC provincial government are coming to Manchester in a couple of weeks to sell the dream and help us to properly start the process. We're coming for a reccy next summer and will be visiting Salmon Arm, Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, and as far as Nelson :-)

the_tones_guy Apr 25th 2023 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by mdonald1987 (Post 13174430)
I love reading these updates. We're aiming to move to Vernon, once my wife converts her nursing qualifications (which is now funded in BC!). The BC provincial government are coming to Manchester in a couple of weeks to sell the dream and help us to properly start the process. We're coming for a reccy next summer and will be visiting Salmon Arm, Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, and as far as Nelson :-)

Hey, Manc (Ashton) in Vernon here, hello - immigrated 2008 (to Newfoundland), was there 10 years, PR 2010, citizen 2012, we moved to Vernon in 2017 or 2018 (I think), best thing we ever did, we looked at all the places you mention, Vernon is by far the best of those places I think (IMHO). Only thing to remember coming to this area (to any of the places you mention), houses are 'really' expensive, rentals are 'very' hard to come by (certainly in Vernon) and if you have pets, even harder, and getting a family Dr I think in any place in Canada is next to impossible and getting harder, I don't know why there is such a shortage of Dr's in Canada?! There are the walk-in Dr's and that's what a lot of folks use now, and a service called Telus Health, telephone service. Anyways, if you have any questions, just ping me a DM and I'll be happy to help. Good luck with everything.