Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

After 10yrs in Canada-> 1 yr back in the UK

After 10yrs in Canada-> 1 yr back in the UK

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 5:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 10yrs in Canada-> 1 yr back in the UK

Originally Posted by MikeUK
The reason i like to kick it a round is: its so close,
it just depends where your coming from and where your going too.....
and too a point your life style

But.... my major point is.... its not a good reason to justify moving !
In truth, I think very few move based in cost of living. The interminable debates on here simply prove that the costs are broadly the same. It's not like a move to Hungary or Greece, for example. However, depending on location, the cost of property (especially with land) can be quite different, and I think that drives many people. Big house, spacious neighbourhood, access to uncrowded parks or beaches.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 6:23 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Christ! And you moved about 5 years ago didn't you, so it was really that expensive then?

Presuming you weren't living in central London then if you were having to pay that amount to commute, how come your council tax was so expensive? I thought ours was among the most expensive in the country (big house, expensive area), but it's still over £1000 cheaper than that. Which Council was that?
We were in the Royal Borough of Richmond. I must admit I haven't actually looked up the last bill or anything, but that's what my wife tells me and she paid all the bills.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Good to hear Mike that you are doing so well.

After ten years in the GTA also, we will more than likely be heading home this year too. We absolutely have a lovely house on a great street, but just miss being English too much now. Lifestyle is very similar in both countries, but actually find life a bit too empty here. Everyone is all about the work work work and money.

Sure I will find things to grumble about in the UK, and we will have a smaller house, but the luxury of no looooooong cold winter will be great.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

My 2p is this: don't fall for the grass is greener thing. Because there are problems and annoyances everywhere you go. There are things I love and miss about the UK and things that drive me up the wall. Right now there are things I like about Canada and things that drive me up the wall.

For me personally to keep my sanity I take the position that everywhere is sh!te. That way you're not dissapointed if the wheels fall off anything.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

The reason i like to kick it a round is: its so close,
it just depends where your coming from and where your going too.....
and too a point your life style

But.... my major point is.... its not a good reason to justify moving !
Yeah. This is exactly it.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 10:04 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
My 2p is this: don't fall for the grass is greener thing. Because there are problems and annoyances everywhere you go. There are things I love and miss about the UK and things that drive me up the wall. Right now there are things I like about Canada and things that drive me up the wall.

For me personally to keep my sanity I take the position that everywhere is sh!te. That way you're not dissapointed if the wheels fall off anything.
This is a good one. Another way of keeping your sanity is to live for a while in a "challenging" environment, then you think of Canada and the UK being pretty much the same!

(unless you lose your sanity in that challenging environment )
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
We were in the Royal Borough of Richmond. I must admit I haven't actually looked up the last bill or anything, but that's what my wife tells me and she paid all the bills.
Top band according to the RBR website is £3172 a year now, maybe it's reduced since you moved 5 years ago.

And if your annual travel was that amount too, you must have been going via Brighton.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Top band according to the RBR website is £3172 a year now, maybe it's reduced since you moved 5 years ago.

And if your annual travel was that amount too, you must have been going via Brighton.
I would be checking Mrs RP's closet for boxes of new shoes.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Old Jan 7th 2015, 4:15 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Good to hear Mike that you are doing so well.

After ten years in the GTA also, we will more than likely be heading home this year too. We absolutely have a lovely house on a great street, but just miss being English too much now. Lifestyle is very similar in both countries, but actually find life a bit too empty here. Everyone is all about the work work work and money.

Sure I will find things to grumble about in the UK, and we will have a smaller house, but the luxury of no looooooong cold winter will be great.
We feel the same. After 4 1/2 years in the GTA we want to go back. We miss being English and want our children to be English. We don't like the North American way of life. The only thing here we like and will miss is the space, bigger homes and warm summers!

It's going to be tough as my husband is self employed and will have to start again at the age of 53. We like just outside of London so our home is very very small but it's in England. Plus for the children they will leave here in elementary and start there in secondary.

Another long road to travel and there will be things I miss about here and moan about there.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:16 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by oliverjude
We feel the same. After 4 1/2 years in the GTA we want to go back. We miss being English and want our children to be English. We don't like the North American way of life. The only thing here we like and will miss is the space, bigger homes and warm summers!

It's going to be tough as my husband is self employed and will have to start again at the age of 53. We like just outside of London so our home is very very small but it's in England. Plus for the children they will leave here in elementary and start there in secondary.

Another long road to travel and there will be things I miss about here and moan about there.
What are the kids views on returning?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough

What are the kids views on returning?
And 9 and 11 they are happy to go back or stay. They miss family and the food!
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 7:37 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ours did fine at 6 and 9
A bit of work to bring them up to speed with the UK curriculum, other than that no issues

You realise that they are much more flexible than we give them credit for
Old Apr 11th 2015, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Ours did fine at 6 and 9
A bit of work to bring them up to speed with the UK curriculum, other than that no issues

You realise that they are much more flexible than we give them credit for
Mike how do you go about bringing them up to speed, I have printed off the curriculum from here, do I just compare to a print off over there, was planning on having them do some English workbooks etc over summer to help? Going into secondary school and Year 5 over there in September, (have two more but they are preschool and Sk, so not as worried about them)...

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.