British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   9 Years! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/9-years-870266/)

Cookie Jan 7th 2016 6:04 pm

9 Years!

Can hardly believe it's 9 years already! We are in NS but only until our house sells and we are moving to Calgary. OH been commuting every 10 days for over 2 years now so we decided last year to put our house on the market. Fingers crossed we will sell soon, although I will miss NS, the people and it's beautiful beaches and living so close to the ocean :)

Stinkypup Jan 8th 2016 4:43 am

Re: 9 Years!

Good luck! I hope that you don't miss the ocean too much.. I love going once in a while to just sit and watch the ocean- you may both need to head to the West coast for an occasional ocean"fix"!:cool:

Siouxie Jan 8th 2016 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 11830996)
Can hardly believe it's 9 years already! We are in NS but only until our house sells and we are moving to Calgary. OH been commuting every 10 days for over 2 years now so we decided last year to put our house on the market. Fingers crossed we will sell soon, although I will miss NS, the people and it's beautiful beaches and living so close to the ocean :)

Congrats on 9 years - doesn't time fly when you're having fun :)

That's a lot of commuting to do and it must have impacted your lives, how did you cope with it? Was your OH on a 14 on 7 off rotation or something similar?

Calgary will be a bit of a shock after beautiful NS but perhaps you can find a lake to make up for the loss of ocean. Have you been there for a visit yet or are you jumping in with both feet and taking whatever is thrown at you?

Do you think you would go back to NS in the future?

:)

Cookie Jan 8th 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11831392)
Congrats on 9 years - doesn't time fly when you're having fun :)

That's a lot of commuting to do and it must have impacted your lives, how did you cope with it? Was your OH on a 14 on 7 off rotation or something similar?

Calgary will be a bit of a shock after beautiful NS but perhaps you can find a lake to make up for the loss of ocean. Have you been there for a visit yet or are you jumping in with both feet and taking whatever is thrown at you?

Do you think you would go back to NS in the future?

Siouxie he is on a 10/10 rotation up in Fort MacKay so thats a lot of commuting for an old fella. He really enjoys his job and works with a great team so that makes a lot of difference. He worked offshore in the North Sea for 18 years before we moved here so we are used to it. Much easier now the kids are grown.

I have been to calgary twice. Last time was in October. I spent 5 days there alone when my husband went back to work after our cruise. Checked out areas and viewed homes with a Realtor, although now we probably wouldn't buy until house prices stablise. Depending on how things go in Calgary, we can very much see ourselves returning to NS to retire. I would live around Halifax area next time because i enjoy lots of amenities close by and I love that city. I spend time there every airport drop off and pick up. We live a 1.5 hr drive away :)

BristolUK Jan 8th 2016 12:34 pm

I hope it goes as well for you 'over there' as it did over here.

Will you be looking to do the same sort of work you've been doing?

Siouxie Jan 8th 2016 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 11831629)
Siouxie he is on a 10/10 rotation up in Fort MacKay so thats a lot of commuting for an old fella. He really enjoys his job and works with a great team so that makes a lot of difference. He worked offshore in the North Sea for 18 years before we moved here so we are used to it. Much easier now the kids are grown.

I have been to calgary twice. Last time was in October. I spent 5 days there alone when my husband went back to work after our cruise. Checked out areas and viewed homes with a Realtor, although now we probably wouldn't buy until house prices stablise. Depending on how things go in Calgary, we can very much see ourselves returning to NS to retire. I would live around Halifax area next time because i enjoy lots of amenities close by and I love that city. I spend time there every airport drop off and pick up. We live a 1.5 hr drive away :)

That's a tough rotation - no wonder you want to move! It must have been really difficult when the kids were younger, well done you. :) Was he on the rigs in the North Sea?

Would you move to one of the areas on a lake there? After the wild and wide open spaces of 'out East' do you think you will be comfortable living there? Fingers crossed that the move goes smoothly and you find somewhere you like to live.

Good to hear you have long term plans for moving back, I think that having an end game in sight helps in the short term!

Mikeypm Jan 9th 2016 3:54 am

Congrats on the 9 years, hope the Calgary move works for you :)

Cookie Jan 9th 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11831665)
I hope it goes as well for you 'over there' as it did over here.

Will you be looking to do the same sort of work you've been doing?

I think so since there is usually never any shortage of support work jobs. I have been office based for the last 2 years and just returned to working in a group home supporting 4 guys. It's good to be back, although I'll have to get used to working shifts again 24/7 365!

ann m Jan 13th 2016 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 11832785)
I think so since there is usually never any shortage of support work jobs. I have been office based for the last 2 years and just returned to working in a group home supporting 4 guys. It's good to be back, although I'll have to get used to working shifts again 24/7 365!

Best wishes for your move to this neck of the woods. :thumbup: Calgary ain't so bad ;). Definite lack of ocean but find a few lakes and you'll be good.

Tangram Jan 15th 2016 4:25 pm

Best of luck in Alberta, my 9 year is in April.

Cookie Jan 20th 2016 12:06 am

Thanks everyone :)