Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Old May 12th 2010, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Larkfield, Kent, Landed Toronto July 09, perm move to Cambridge March 2010
moley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to all
Wink 8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Hi on Friday May 14th will be our 8 week anniversary! Stayed with my uncle for 6 weeks, rented gorgeous farmhouse, and lovinit!
It's been hard, as our settlement funds went really quickly, but luckily I got a job within 4 weeks, and hubby 6!

I still wouldn't return to uk, though, despite the rough times, as life here is good, and there are many opportunities.

;-) xxxx
Old May 13th 2010, 12:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Sounds like its going well. Good luck as you settle in
Old May 17th 2010, 3:00 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have made a good start
Old May 19th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

That's great news We are moving to Cambridge on 15th June... We can't wait. I hope things keep progessing well for you guys.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:15 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moley39
Hi on Friday May 14th will be our 8 week anniversary! Stayed with my uncle for 6 weeks, rented gorgeous farmhouse, and lovinit!
It's been hard, as our settlement funds went really quickly, but luckily I got a job within 4 weeks, and hubby 6!

I still wouldn't return to uk, though, despite the rough times, as life here is good, and there are many opportunities.

;-) xxxx
Good luck and best wishes for the future.
Old May 20th 2010, 3:33 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

well done i have loved living in cambridge since we moved from st catharines xx
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Larkfield, Kent, Landed Toronto July 09, perm move to Cambridge March 2010
moley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to allmoley39 is a name known to all
Smile Re: 8 Weeks in Cambridge, Ontario

Originally Posted by mrsr0binson
That's great news We are moving to Cambridge on 15th June... We can't wait. I hope things keep progessing well for you guys.
Hi! Almost 3 months now and things are soooooo much better as we both have jobs and have settled down really well.

Cambridge area is absolutely fantastic and hope ht your move goes well. Pm me if you need any information etc!!!

Xxxxxx
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

Thank you so much for the offer - it really is appreciated. It's great to hear that things are settled and heading in the right direction for you guys. I will certainly be picking your brains when we arrive....(only 6 days left now ) My head is swimming with the amount of things to check and double check etc.... All my husband seems to be concerned about it how long it will take for Cable to be installed - he has not even considered that unless we have the electricity connected etc he could have a bit trouble...

Take care and I will be contact very soon.... Congrats again....
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:56 pm

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

ha your hubby will be impressed ... they come out up till 9 pm to fit cable !! we had ours done that late at night , lol so tell him not to worry he will get it pretty quick , lol
wheres in cambridge are you gonna be ?? we are getting to know the areas pretty well now so if ya need any help just let me know x
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Installation men that work till late at night, that AMAZING that would never happen here

We are renting a house in Hespelar, just off of Townline Road. When we did our reccy earlier this year, we loved that area, so we were so lucky that a suitable place became available there. The kids will be going to Woodland Park Public School, which is about a 5 minute walk from our house - it will be so nice not to have to drive them everywhere. We also loved Guelph, but sadly it was a little too expensive for us. You seemed to get so much less for your money there. So we now have the best of both worlds; a lovely house and we are less then 10 minutes from Guelph.

Did you ship your possessions over or have you started again? We are living in a sea of cardboard at the moment; it not great, but to be honest we worked it out that it would have cost us at least a kidney to re-buy everything

Oh my goodness, I have so many questions for you.... You may regret offering to help... ,
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

LandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant future

Hi, good to hear that you are settling in and loving it in Cambridge. I was wondering what sort of jobs are available in the area? both myself and partner have a background in IT and other than RIM (Research In Motion - blackberry makers) don't know of any other IT companies out that direction. Having said that my degree was in Genetics so would be willing to pick up any lab work to have a job to start with.

Thanks in advance

L and C
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:27 pm

we live near hespeler , lol we are classed as north galt , we are a 10 min walk away from the cambridge center
if you ever wanna call for a coffee (or tea ,haha) let me know x
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LandC
Hi, good to hear that you are settling in and loving it in Cambridge. I was wondering what sort of jobs are available in the area? both myself and partner have a background in IT and other than RIM (Research In Motion - blackberry makers) don't know of any other IT companies out that direction. Having said that my degree was in Genetics so would be willing to pick up any lab work to have a job to start with.

Thanks in advance

L and C
Hi there -

My husband has had a lot of interest from RIM. Firstly a telephone interview and then emails asking whether he is in the country yet etc.. - but to be honest there does seem to be an amazing staff turnover there; probably due to the fact that they insist on tying you into a contract stating that you can't move forward or even departments until you have been there for a year.

My OH has had interest in several companies within the Guelph\Waterloo area; from manufacturing companies, Insurance HQ's and Pharmaceutical companies. I guess the great thing about IT jobs are that most companies; regardless of what they do, all have an IT infrastructure that requires support.

He has been asked to contact 3 local companies, once we land, to set up proper interviews (he has already had telephone interviews with them from here in the UK).

I know there are lots of opportunities slightly further out too; but to be honest I think he would prefer to work semi local if at all possible - but in saying that, work is work.... it's better to be earning a wage whilst hunting for the 'perfect job' position. We have already discovered that things tend to move VERY slowly over there as far as jobs are concerned. Today he received an email, from a company he contacted at the beginning of May, requesting a telephone interview

Good luck and PM if you would like me to put you in touch with my OH...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

twinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by moley39

;-) xxxx
Congratulations on your first 8 weeks in Cambridge.

We emigrated to Cambridge 29 years ago.... still refer to it as Preston, Hespeler and Galt lol.... at least you have a decent size mall now... when we arrived all we had was John Galt Centre, and used to go to Fairview Mall all the time lol....

Glad you are enjoying it.... summers in Canada are lovley, although wait until the fall and you will really enjoy it.

I am now living in Australia but still refer to Canada as my home !!

Cheers

Karen
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

csmirthwaite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deenailz
well done i have loved living in cambridge since we moved from st catharines xx
We are wanting to move to St Catharines. My husband has family there.
I am currently doing my nursing once qualified hoping to find a job and come over with our two children.

Been over a few times and it seems such a lovely place to bring up your family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.