8 month update!

Old Oct 12th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 8 month update!

Hi all,

Sorry about so few posts since arriving. It's been manic!

Living in Saskatchewan. Arrived at end of Jan and was so so so cold! All of us handled it well, right down to our three year old who was out in the yard blowing bubbles when it was -20!

Hubby's work were amazingly helpful after our arrival & a month after we arrived, another UK family arrived so we've been going through it all together.

We were living in a not-so-good place(North Battleford) anyone in Saskatchewan will know! Have now moved more into the countryside and it's wonderful! Had a fire on outside of our house 2 days after moving in & community was so lovely & helpful. Thankfully no major damage & all peeps & belongings were ok.

Now settling into Autumn, the colours are amazing, even though we're out in the prairies.

Schools have been great & kids have settled in so well. Our youngest(now 4) has already developed a Canadian twang!

Things about this area and things we miss would be;

Canadians aren't as friendly as they try to portray to the world.

Due to living in SK, we don't get majorly interesting shopping as they seem to think we're not worth being near.

Car insurance costs make me want to cry.

House prices are good in the towns(or villages as we would call them in the UK).

Food costs are slightly ridiculous.

Clothing costs aren't too good either, thankfully Next is available online here. Need a Sports Direct too! Importing adds 50% to the costs of whatever you buy from the UK.

Online shopping seems like an all-to-complicated & foreign thing to Canadians.

I miss Sainsburys! The food & the clothing.

I do find the pricing not including taxes bizarre, it's not like the rate changes on a regular basis.

I can't understand why they don't have cordials like the UK and lime cordial doesn't count! Have found Ribena concentrate in No Frills but that's all. I'm not paying $15 for imported ones!

Being out in the prairies, flights can be interesting & costly. Also, we are a sizable distance from most things of interest.

Love popping down the road to the lake whenever we want to go canoing.

Why no ceiling lights in front rooms here!? Floor lamps do not count! And unfortunately due to the recent fire & lengthy wait for it to be fully sorted, come 5pm it's like the dark ages in my living room!

Summers are wonderful & toasty & winters are amazing, if not damned cold like nothing you've experienced before! Dress well is the only answer!

The Northern Lights are amazing.

Paperwork & post is so so slow here & everywhere I go I see inefficiency a double-handling!

Wildlife is amazing, as long as it's not trying to blend with your car! I thought Moose were mythical creatures until recently, seeing as there are allegedly so many & yet so many people have never seen one! Have seen Bison, Moose, lots of kinds of deer, big cats etc.

Not looking forward to our 1st tax return though, looked at the forms & thought I was going to cry, it was a nightmare and I was a Civil Servant for 15 years!

Future plans are that we are currently preparing for our CEC visa to go in at the end of January. We are going to be buying our house in the next 6-12 months. Lots of renovations to do, so should keep us occupied!

Good luck to all those who are coming to Canada, research & preparation is the answer! Also, bring everything, things are shockingly expensive here & lots of people on here have said the same & they really are telling the truth!

Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 month update!

I forgot to add, what is the deal with fluorescent colourings in everything! Also lots of additives not allowed in the UK. I do find it hard to navigate my shopping with regards to my kids.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know you, where have you been hidden? ...I feel like I have made a friend. I too cannot understand any of this 'lamp' need in the front room and we are groping around like you come dusk. Why do Canadians want to hide in the dark?

Please keep coming back and writing about the irony of this whole silly move because you made me, and no doubts many others, smile thank you and
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillieF
I don't know you, where have you been hidden? ...I feel like I have made a friend. I too cannot understand any of this 'lamp' need in the front room and we are groping around like you come dusk. Why do Canadians want to hide in the dark?

Please keep coming back and writing about the irony of this whole silly move because you made me, and no doubts many others, smile thank you and
Thank you MillieF! Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but sometimes I just want to bang my head against a wall!

The problem is, since our little fire, we have no wall sockets in the living room either, so no lamps. We have the kitchen cooker light(galley kitchen) and the front door light. I feel like I'm living in ancient times! Before the fire wasn't much better though. The laptop is the brightest thing at one end of our house & we eat our dinner with a camping light and battery operated candles!