British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   7 Years.............. Itch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/7-years-itch-820643/)

Cookie Jan 7th 2014 10:41 am

7 Years.............. Itch?

Well here we are, 7 years today since we made the giant leap across the pond.

Kids now 19 and 23 while I of course get younger ;)

Seen a bit of a change this past year. Older son who lives down Halifax way finished college and is now employed in his trade (electronics). Younger son at college doing carpentry. Mr Cookie desperately needed to change job and is now working out at the oil sands way way up at the Kearl Field on a 10/10 day rotation. As for me, I had a change of job but still with the same organization. No more shifts, weekends or working holidays yayyyyy :thumbsup:

Big decisions to be made this year though. Do we stay or move to either Calgary or Vancouver????? Oh ma heid!

Mikeypm Jan 8th 2014 4:35 am

Re: 7 Years.............. Itch?

Congrats :), I am biased but pick Vancouver a bit wet in winter but no real big drops of snow and no real big drops in temp either

Pupsiecola Jan 8th 2014 8:44 am

Cookie I'm interested in how your kids adjusted to the move to Canada. Am I correct in assuming that they were 12 and 16 when you moved from the UK? (The sums are simple enough, but I mean had you moved around a lot before that or was it UK living up until Canada living?).

Our sons are almost 11 and almost 9. We had a very stressful year in SE Asia last year where schooling for the younger one was horrific. Sadly we had to come back a year early. We want to try the US or Canada (Vancouver) but we need to make sure the school is a good fit. And also I'm thinking that if the eldest is older than say 12/13 it will be very hard to make the move for education/friendship reasons so that adds some time pressure...

Thanks.

Cookie Jan 8th 2014 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Mikeypm (Post 11068276)
Congrats :), I am biased but pick Vancouver a bit wet in winter but no real big drops of snow and no real big drops in temp either

We visited Vancouver and Whistler last June and loved it - very beautiful. The non-freezing temps are a big consideration since Mr Cookie works in the frozen north

Cookie Jan 8th 2014 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola (Post 11068451)
Cookie I'm interested in how your kids adjusted to the move to Canada. Am I correct in assuming that they were 12 and 16 when you moved from the UK? (The sums are simple enough, but I mean had you moved around a lot before that or was it UK living up until Canada living?).

Our sons are almost 11 and almost 9. We had a very stressful year in SE Asia last year where schooling for the younger one was horrific. Sadly we had to come back a year early. We want to try the US or Canada (Vancouver) but we need to make sure the school is a good fit. And also I'm thinking that if the eldest is older than say 12/13 it will be very hard to make the move for education/friendship reasons so that adds some time pressure...

Thanks.

Our kids did remarkably well. We always spoke to them about our move and involved them on each step we took. We also kept positive because I always think that kids feel safer when parents are happy.

Our 13 years old went to middle school and since soccer is a big sport here it wasn't long before he was playing on the school team. Our 16 year old had already sat his exams in Scotland and joined Grade 10 at the start of the second semester at high school. He is the more confident of the 2 and also settled in quickly.

We all settled in pretty easily and made friends quickly. Living in a small community has big advantages but you still have to put yourself out there and make a big effort to get involved in community events and sports. I also did some volunteer work. It's the fastest way to settling in, making new friends and feeling comfortable in your new surroundings.

missieleah Feb 6th 2014 2:24 am

Hey Cookie, congrats on the big 7... :thumbup: I'd pick Vancouver too...its pretty cold down the centre!

Simon Legree Feb 6th 2014 2:52 am

Congratulations and best wishes for whatever you decide to do. :)

ExKiwilass Feb 7th 2014 3:37 pm

if he's working in the 'sands you could totally do somewhere in the lower mainland. good luck!

swoops Feb 10th 2014 12:54 am

Grats Cookie

Nelson1805 Feb 17th 2014 8:28 pm

Congrats! Ideally I've got my eyes on Vancouver too, primarily on the basis it should have the least snow of any Canadian cities :D

Applied for a couple of jobs tonight too :)

Cookie Feb 17th 2014 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nelson1805 (Post 11134402)
Congrats! Ideally I've got my eyes on Vancouver too, primarily on the basis it should have the least snow of any Canadian cities :D

Applied for a couple of jobs tonight too :)

Loved Vancouver area when we went there last year. Has beautiful lakes and ocean and stunning mountains. The temperate climate certainly appeals after a 7 years of freezing winters. Much longer winters in AB so that kinda puts me off moving there even though my husband commutes there for work.

Good luck with your applications!

Nelson1805 Feb 17th 2014 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 11134474)
Loved Vancouver area when we went there last year. Has beautiful lakes and ocean and stunning mountains. The temperate climate certainly appeals after a 7 years of freezing winters. Much longer winters in AB so that kinda puts me off moving there even though my husband commutes there for work.

Good luck with your applications!

Thanks, hopefully somebody bites in the next few months!!

Vancouver with the surrounding mountains sounds great, I love the outdoors and walking so I'm sure I'd be able to find some mountain trails to hike up on a good summer's day. Here's hoping!! :D

Cookie Feb 17th 2014 9:56 pm

OMG I just notice you are from Aberdeen. So am I :thumbsup:

Nelson1805 Feb 17th 2014 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 11134506)
OMG I just notice you are from Aberdeen. So am I :thumbsup:

Hahaha, you're kidding?? Yeah I'm afraid I've had enough of the Granite City! Don't get me wrong its nice, but I've just had enough of the UK in general! I'll always love dear Britannia aha, but right now my Canadian blood is stirring and I just want to get out to Canada :D

Cookie Feb 17th 2014 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11118197)
if he's working in the 'sands you could totally do somewhere in the lower mainland. good luck!

Yeah we could move anywhere. Most of my husband's workmates commute from other provinces and a couple even live in Ireland! We are not pressurised to make a quick decision so we can weigh up our options