Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:48 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes. I wrote it, I mean it. Unless Canada offers a job, prearranged, that pays more than the one at home there's no reason to go there. Similarly, if you're in Canada, there's no good reason to move to, say, Scotland, unless a better job beckons.

Since most jobs in Canada don't pay especially well and there aren't that many of them compared with the rest of the world this implies that most people going to Canada will be in a fairly grim situation at home. They're not likely to have any money so it silly to ask that of them.
Utter nonsense.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Utter nonsense.
Ahem.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...rmanent/10.asp

Rich in the Philipines are they? Seeking to move up from a semi in the People's Republic of China to a McMansion in Mississauga?

Nah, even discounting refugees, most people only look at Canada as a step out of proper poverty.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:26 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...rmanent/10.asp

Rich in the Philipines are they? Seeking to move up from a semi in the People's Republic of China to a McMansion in Mississauga?

Nah, even discounting refugees, most people only look at Canada as a step out of proper poverty.
Bet you ALOT of people on here did not. I am one of them.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but MOST people coming to Canada now, are not from Europe, but third-world countries, so Canada is a very big step-up from real poverty.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
Please go to the church, I am sure they will help you through this problem, what a shame that many do not know what they can do in times like this, i don't mean have a little prayer either. Try it, you won't have to sell you soul either, honest. Some of those that attend church regularly will have property unused, they would be happy to help if they can. If anyone knows where to get help it will be the church. You are prepared to bare your soul to all these strangers on here, do it to the local vicar, you won't have to suffer the banter either. fletch.
I though dbd talked utter hogwash, perhaps not!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:14 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, but MOST people coming to Canada now, are not from Europe, but third-world countries, so Canada is a very big step-up from real poverty.
Yes, and these people are coming from economies that are booming, anyone with anything about them should have a superb life in China, India and so on, but they are professionals, they see that the future can be brighter still in Canada. If they were once char whallahs in Delhi, how did they afford to pay for the uni education and doctorates.

Do you really think that my wife and i come from deprived backgrounds, and if we did, the 30 or 40 k you need to get our family over to Canada and settled, where did that come from, the tooth fairy when we lost our bad teeth through taking heroin and crack! Try not to generalise about those that come to Canada, I can assure you, many do it with ideas other than the big house and the toys, perhaps they are ready to start a fresh, to move out of the cave and into the light. Oh yes, perhaps they will try not to break the law whilst at it too. Because they know the difference between right and wrong and choose to do the right thing.

If you are in doubt, look at the professions that have filled up first for Skilled workers, doctors, dentists, professionals. Get a grip! Rant over.

Last edited by fletcher m; Jan 26th 2012 at 9:20 pm. Reason: calming down a bit.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:17 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aviator
I though dbd talked utter hogwash, perhaps not!
OK, are you suggesting that I do? If I flew planes for a living I would be very close to God. I choose to drive trucks and I do my best to edge my bets....
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Are you suggesting that Canada is a haven for MOSTLY refugees and or the poverty stricken? I'd say that wasn't the case.

What DBD said was :

"even discounting refugees, most people only look at Canada as a step out of proper poverty"

and I don't agree.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:30 pm
Banned

Are you suggesting that Canada is a haven for MOSTLY refugees and or the poverty stricken? I'd say that wasn't the case.

What DBD said was :

"even discounting refugees, most people only look at Canada as a step out of proper poverty"

and I don't agree.
.............and neither do I! (still think you might be rude though) i'm getting over it.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

when we lost our bad teeth through taking heroin and crack!
Get those fixed before coming to Canada, dentistry is expensive.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:34 pm

If I flew planes for a living I would be very close to God.
Close to clouds maybe, but I see bugger all else up there, other than another aircraft and some distant stars.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:35 pm

.............and neither do I! (still think you might be rude though) i'm getting over it.
Not rude, just like a bit of a laff, but sometimes (ok mostly ) not that funny
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Crikey, I've read 100's of threads on here but this one has literally left me a little stunned and bewildered...and of course sympathetic to the OP. I'll probably have to read it all again to get the facts in place but....as others have said, the financial cost of going back to the UK is surely more perilous than sticking it out for the sake of $5000 or so. Has he got a Class1 Licence? I know he would need a new WP but there are companies crying out for drivers there if you can just tough it out. Go to the trucking forum and speak to some of the drivers there that are near you, I'm sure that there will be lots of advice and help there. I'm not being flippant by saying it must be bad to want to come back over here (more horrible GDP figures this week!!). And does your locality know of your plight at all? To say that Brits are more giving in such circumstances is just plain wrong IMO. My cousin and his family had a lovely big house in Saskatchewan which was completely razed to the ground in a fire about 12 months after emigrating, luckily they all escaped injury but were just left with what they were sleeping in!! The offer of support from the community in the aftermath was unbelievable, offers of a small house, clothes, cash, a car. The genorosity of the locals was a major factor in them staying in Saskatchewan and thankfully now thriving. Food for thought. Hope it works out for you. Where theres a will, theres a way!!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes, we know you're Mrs. Bucket but, in the general case, people coming here are poor but good at spelling.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:29 pm

Yes, yes, we know you're Mrs. Bucket but, in the general case, people coming here are poor but good at spelling.
Get a grip just because one doesn't agree with you, must you always attempt to ridicule? it's boring you silly man. You don't know me at all, I really rather doubt that we'd move in the same circles given your point of view on EVERYTHING.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.