Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Whoever is telling you there is NO other possibility may be wrong. Take a step back and try to review your situation from a different situation - what would YOU advise your best friend to do in a similar situation?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Dear TJ

I just wanted to say I hope and pray that a path opens up for you and your family. I have remembered you in my prayers and hope that they are
answered

Wishing you the best in whatever you decide

Mhut
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:40 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Please go to the church, I am sure they will help you through this problem, what a shame that many do not know what they can do in times like this, i don't mean have a little prayer either. Try it, you won't have to sell you soul either, honest. Some of those that attend church regularly will have property unused, they would be happy to help if they can. If anyone knows where to get help it will be the church. You are prepared to bare your soul to all these strangers on here, do it to the local vicar, you won't have to suffer the banter either. fletch.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Well said fletch! Gives you a warm feeling to offer useful advice to a person in trouble no doubt.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Just after we arrived in Canada last year, a teacher at our childrens' Elementary school, discovered his son had a tumour. The school and the community rallied around and the amount of gifts and money that flowed in was amazing. That would never have happened at their school in the UK. It would have been a case of "sorry, bad luck, but I'm not giving them my money"(not that they would have asked)

A family in our neighbourhood lost everything 10 days ago in a house fire, there has been a similar outpouring.
You can't say that wouldn't happen in the UK. That's unfair.

Maybe TJ can go ask her neighbours, local community, and the kids school attendees to help out with some Canadian Compassion.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I found these jobs in MR within 1 minute. Worth a look.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...807742818.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...786296570.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...816053172.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...815043025.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...814698497.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...814690578.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...812336357.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...811904181.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...810745547.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...799158780.html
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:20 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
No worried about the banter it's no problem. I'm happy to hear any suggestions if they might stop me getting on that plane.
To reiterate, dh can only work for one company and they lied to us and asked my husband to drive something his license didn't cover and they knew it. He refused and politely told them he couldn't work there any more.
He has another job lined up, and I'm still now searching for any work anywhere local enough that I don't waste all the wages in fuel. Doing anything but there's nothing -or that's what I'm being told when I go in there anyway.
Most people here don't like to commute for a part time job...most people will try to find something local. That becomes a problem when you're desperate to find work, don't restrict yourself to the local malls or whatever is handy, get your cv together, and dish it out. Good luck, It's a nightmare finding work when you've no Canadian Experience....
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:28 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
You can't say that wouldn't happen in the UK. That's unfair.

Maybe TJ can go ask her neighbours, local community, and the kids school attendees to help out with some Canadian Compassion.
I can't think of anywhere I have lived in the UK where complete strangers have dipped into their pockets to help, say someone whose house had burnt down- most people would think sod them they had no insurance that's their problem.

I wasn't suggesting for one moment that TJ should do that...just pointing out that IMHO certain posters should be a little more caring in their responses, rather than their holier than thou attitudes.A point echoed by several others for sure
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of anywhere I have lived in the UK where complete strangers have dipped into their pockets to help, say someone whose house had burnt down- most people would think sod them they had no insurance that's their problem.
That's a consequence of there being a social safety net in one country and not in the other. Canadians are accustomed to seeing people who had misfortunes through no fault of their own, they fell out of fashion at work, they slipped on the ice and broke a leg, suffer grim consequences; unpayable medical bills, loss of income, loss of house. Canadians are used to seeing people literally living, and occasionally dying, on the streets. This leads them to a narrowly focussed charity, to efforts to prevent God fearing church going neighbors ending up with the people of meth. They don't offer charity to the existing people of meth, it's just about keeping the Desperate Housewives in Stepford.

In the UK, by contrast, people have to read Dickens to know real poverty, they don't have quite the same motivation to keep the right sort of person above water. They don't have the fear.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Beatrix Kiddo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been reading this thread with interest because I'm just at the start of the process myself. I hope you manage to turn things around, _TJ_. I think it does seem possible.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:45 pm
Beep

How many people did you know in the UK who have had their house burned down and had no insurance coverage?

How many teachers at your childrens school in the UK did you know who had had a tumour and needed financial support?

I personally believe most people would help if they were needed, and would have sympathy for the family involved in those situations.

It's a shame Canadians living so close to a family in dire need of financial support before losing their new Canadian home and life can't dip into their pockets and rally round those in need. I really hope they'd not think, "sod them, it's their problem".
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:12 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
How many people did you know in the UK who have had their house burned down and had no insurance coverage?

How many teachers at your childrens school in the UK did you know who had had a tumour and needed financial support?

I personally believe most people would help if they were needed, and would have sympathy for the family involved in those situations.

It's a shame Canadians living so close to a family in dire need of financial support before losing their new Canadian home and life can't dip into their pockets and rally round those in need. I really hope they'd not think, "sod them, it's their problem".
Canadian society is of course very different to British. British do not like to ask for help, stiff upper lip and all that. But I disagree that most Brits (in the UK) would be happy to hand over their hard earned cash to help others in need (and I'm talking hundreds of $ here, not five bucks)

I personally find Canadians, as individuals, on the whole to be caring and willing to help financially in times of need. That is my opinion. I have witnessed it time after time since we arrived last year.

You carry on, I refuse to get drawn into a lengthy arguement over this, it will not help _TJ_.

Period.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But I disagree that most Brits (in the UK) would be happy to hand over their hard earned cash to help others in need (and I'm talking hundreds of $ here, not five bucks)
Off topic I know, but I completely disagree. We have a very disabled boy in our village whose parents were desperately trying to raise £16,000 for some special treatment in the US for him. They mentioned it to neighbours/friends, and within 2 weeks word had got round the entire village and they had the amount needed, purely from donations and fundraising done by everybody here.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:50 pm
Beep

Canadian society is of course very different to British. British do not like to ask for help, stiff upper lip and all that. But I disagree that most Brits (in the UK) would be happy to hand over their hard earned cash to help others in need (and I'm talking hundreds of $ here, not five bucks)

I personally find Canadians, as individuals, on the whole to be caring and willing to help financially in times of need. That is my opinion. I have witnessed it time after time since we arrived last year.

You carry on, I refuse to get drawn into a lengthy arguement over this, it will not help _TJ_.

Period.
So i'm guessing you didn't know anybody in your street who's house burned down in the UK, or a teacher at your childs school with such an illness.

The young son of my cousin, who has now died, had a severe illness for many years. The support his family got, both financially and emotionally was amazing. They were donated tens of thousands of £'s over the course of his short life to fund trips, necessary house modifications, non NHS covered trial treatments, etc.

A very close friend of my father-in-law in Vancouver has a daughter with a life debilitating illness not that dissimilar. They get nothing near the support from the community.

So i wholly disagree with your generalisation of both countries.

If community spirit, and giving, was so imprinted in the Canadian psyche then surely TJ's neighbours would be willing to step in financially to support their family from losing their house, and having their life turned upside down.

TJ, i'm out in MR early next week...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.