Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by dollface
I really rather doubt that we'd move in the same circles
I think the idea preposterous.

Meanwhile, back on point, where do you suppose the immigrants get their money? Most of them are from poor countries, they come to join their relatives, relatives who have likely supported them financially where they lived before. How can it be that they have cash to support themselves for months without working? Come to that, if they can live without working, how come so many toil in sweatshops or drive taxis?

The OP is doubtless in dire straits, but they're not unusual dire straits, especially not for an immigrant.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:43 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the idea preposterous.

Meanwhile, back on point, where do you suppose the immigrants get their money? Most of them are from poor countries, they come to join their relatives, relatives who have likely supported them financially where they lived before. How can it be that they have cash to support themselves for months without working? Come to that, if they can live without working, how come so many toil in sweatshops or drive taxis?

The OP is doubtless in dire straits, but they're not unusual dire straits, especially not for an immigrant.
At least we agree on something.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Quite off topic - and although some may not agree with dbd's sentiment about immigrants moving from poverty to come to Canada - the figures on the CIC website speak for themselves (link here):

Country of Origin of Permanent Residents 2010
Philippines - 36,578
India - 30,252
China - 30,197
Switzerland - 507

And so the list goes on. An even though my mathematics is atrocious, those first three countries may be up and coming, but right now their people are leaving in droves and arriving in Canada at over three times the rate of UK citizens.

Interestingly, the next highest numbers from three source countries are UK (9499), US (9,243) and France (6,934) - which I take as an easy option with language and similarities?

And the remaining high-number countries are Iran, Korea, Columbia, Pakistan, Haiti, Bangladesh, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Algeria, Mexico (more than 50,000 between them) - none of which are exactly known for their high standards of living.

So not ALL people move here from poverty - but I think it's more than fair to say that MOST do.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Quite off topic - and although some may not agree with dbd's sentiment about immigrants moving from poverty to come to Canada - the figures on the CIC website speak for themselves (link here):
TBH I didn't think anyone would disagree with the idea that most people come to Canada poor, though I did think some might take exception to the idea that, if you weren't poor at home, there was no reason to come. I came poor, I know other posters here did too. Arguably, people who come poor but eager are the best immigrants for the host country.

I understand moving because you have family, perhaps new family, in Canada. I understand moving for economic opportunity, long term, or for a contracted period. I understand moving if you come from a place where it's just not safe. But I'm stumped by people who say they were doing nicely wherever they were, who have children older than five or so and who move because they like the idea of Canada, or Australia, or Outer Mongolia. You're going to be the immigrant, like the guy who takes your order for curry, where's s the responsibility in doing that when you have a family to support?

Again, immigrants mostly come poor but keen, educated better than their contemporaries so the morality of taking them is questionable. The country takes them because it's good for the country in the long term but it's nonsensical to think they can support themselves without having work right away.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ann m
Switzerland - 507
Oh, and I think this odd statistic relates to the manner of inheritance in Switzerland and the value of land there. The eldest son gets everything so, if you're the second son of a farmer, there's no life for you. But, if the elder brother will lend you 1% of the value of the father's farm, you can buy a Canadian province. There are enough Swiss farmers in Canada that gugelmusik troupes tour.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:21 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface
Are you suggesting that Canada is a haven for MOSTLY refugees and or the poverty stricken? I'd say that wasn't the case.

What DBD said was :

"even discounting refugees, most people only look at Canada as a step out of proper poverty"

and I don't agree.
I don't agree either. I had a McMansion in Kent before I came here.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I don't agree either. I had a McMansion in Kent before I came here.
Well there we have it, Miss Clinique, Dollface, The Only Way Is Burlington!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I didn't think anyone would disagree with the idea that most people come to Canada poor,
The thing is, most people on here think that most people who immigrate to Canada are British (because that's going to the dogs).

... it's nonsensical to think they can support themselves without having work right away.
I've said before that anyone who immigrates here (or anywhere else for that matter) who needs to work to survive, but doesn't have a well paying (whatever that means to them) job to come to, should be shot.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:36 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The thing is, most people on here think that most people who immigrate to Canada are British (because that's going to the dogs).

I've said before that anyone who immigrates here (or anywhere else for that matter) who needs to work to survive, but doesn't have a well paying (whatever that means to them) job to come to, should be shot.
But they don't listen. Brits are a stuck up bunch who believe the likes of Canada NZ and Oz are crying out for labour and everything is cheap.

It's a notion that you get from somewhere, and cling on to even after you've done all the research.

Then moan when you find out the truth.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

But I'm stumped by people who say they were doing nicely wherever they were, who have children older than five or so and who move because they like the idea of Canada
That was us then ... and I'm stumped too.

People don't want to hear your stumped opinions though - it delves too far into the recesses of their insecurities ...

Slowly but surely though, for us, it IS working out OK. The things that have flummoxed us were not even our radar when we comtemplated moving. And things that we thought we might wish to return to were not enough when push came to shove.

(Interesting about Switzerland)
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

Consenting adult does stupid thing, doesn't harm bystanders, good luck to them. Parent, not so much.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Consenting adult does stupid thing, doesn't harm bystanders, good luck to them. Parent, not so much.
Yes, fair enough. Especially if they're only doing it to give the kids a better life. I mean, ferchrissake.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:59 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

It's a notion that you get from somewhere.

I blame those emigrate shows (whatever they are).
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:25 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I blame those emigrate shows (whatever they are).
Taf Can should be able to tell you
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
But they don't listen. Brits are a stuck up bunch who believe the likes of Canada NZ and Oz are crying out for labour and everything is cheap.

It's a notion that you get from somewhere, and cling on to even after you've done all the research.

Some Brits maybe, not all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.