Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 years, one child and loving it... Mostly:)

6 years, one child and loving it... Mostly:)

Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough
Default 6 years, one child and loving it... Mostly:)

I thought that I'd be homesick within the first year of leaving England and was prepared to deal with it when it raised it's ugly head... But nothing, not a pang! Can't explain it other than this. We moved to a small town and made an effort to get to know people. Work came quickly for my wife (3 months) and within 10 months for me. Our network grew to the point where we felt like we knew everyone in town (this has its drawbacks though). Can't just nip down the shops for a pint of milk... you'll be drawn into at least 3 conversations in the store... So very friendly town. Work is local for me and pays well for the area, it's in the next town for the wife and her education fits her new job perfectly. Our hobbies really take advantage of living in the mountains and we never get bored. But best of all, we had the surprise of our lives when we were blessed with the arrival of our daughter Phoenix. We're going back to the UK for the first time next month to show her off to friends and family... and if it wasn't for this, I don't think I could find another reason to return. Canada... loving it
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 years, one child and loving it... Mostly:)

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
I thought that I'd be homesick within the first year of leaving England and was prepared to deal with it when it raised it's ugly head... But nothing, not a pang! Can't explain it other than this. We moved to a small town and made an effort to get to know people. Work came quickly for my wife (3 months) and within 10 months for me. Our network grew to the point where we felt like we knew everyone in town (this has its drawbacks though). Can't just nip down the shops for a pint of milk... you'll be drawn into at least 3 conversations in the store... So very friendly town. Work is local for me and pays well for the area, it's in the next town for the wife and her education fits her new job perfectly. Our hobbies really take advantage of living in the mountains and we never get bored. But best of all, we had the surprise of our lives when we were blessed with the arrival of our daughter Phoenix. We're going back to the UK for the first time next month to show her off to friends and family... and if it wasn't for this, I don't think I could find another reason to return. Canada... loving it
Congratulations Polar Bear! It's nice to read your post as it is very similar to our situation. We are also in a smaller town in beautiful BC and have been here for just over 6 years. We have never been homesick and never been back to the UK yet. We also take advantage of living in the mountains so there is never a dull day. Anyway, best of luck for the next 6 years