Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 Months Today and going back

6 Months Today and going back

Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Months Today and going back

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Of course. But it's obvious BEFORE you leave a country to settle a new one that children are going to have difficulty and a painful readjustment period. That's par for the course. But 6 months is not long enough to settle into a new country. 16yrs is an awkward age anyway and most teenagers want their own way. I'm not suggesting that this is the case in this situation but that isn't long enough a period to have given settling into a new country a proper chance of success. So I hope there are other reasons of more substance so that later down the line the parents wont regret their decision to pull out before giving it a proper chance.
And being judgmental help how exactly?

Ideally longer than 6 months would be better, but they did first post about problems a couple of months ago, so its no flash in the pan. Its their kids, their life, their decision.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
And being judgmental help how exactly?

Ideally longer than 6 months would be better, but they did first post about problems a couple of months ago, so its no flash in the pan. Its their kids, their life, their decision.

That's right and good luck to them. I hope that everything works out for them. I just hope anyone reading this thread who is thinking of making the move takes into account that sometimes children will difficult time readjusting and that it takes more time, sometimes (oftentimes).

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 8th 2012 at 10:00 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:15 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

It has been said on here a lot by other posters that they went through a few times when they were so homesick and/or disillusioned with Canada that they would have gone back to the UK if they had been able to.
Two years has not been an uncommon timescale for people to begin to feel that they are at all settled.

Children at that age can be quite resistant to change and also more sensitive to being different and not fitting in.

Giving up your new life due to a teenagers feelings isn't necessarily helping them or "taking into account their happiness", any more than a responsible parent would give in to a child's demands for sweets at every supermarket checkout.

Adults have the benefit of experience and can see past the immediate difficulties to the good things that are ahead and reassure themselves and their children that things will resolve.
Parents can help children to understand their feelings, put them into context and support them in working through issues in the early days when they are feeling lost.

If the OP would prefer to stay, maybe they and their children could be put in touch with some other local immigrant children who have made the transition successfully so that they have a positive input from folk who have had the same experience.

Most people feel sad and lonely and alien when they get to a new place and it takes a long time to fit in.
Teenagers can be stubborn and I know the emotional drain on parents during this time can be huge and it is hard to be strong, but if you do want to stay and think it is in the long term interests of you and your children to do so, try to explain that to them, get support and weather it through.

Hope everything works out for you all.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:06 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helcat12
It has been said on here a lot by other posters that they went through a few times when they were so homesick and/or disillusioned with Canada that they would have gone back to the UK if they had been able to.
Two years has not been an uncommon timescale for people to begin to feel that they are at all settled.

Children at that age can be quite resistant to change and also more sensitive to being different and not fitting in.

Giving up your new life due to a teenagers feelings isn't necessarily helping them or "taking into account their happiness", any more than a responsible parent would give in to a child's demands for sweets at every supermarket checkout.

Adults have the benefit of experience and can see past the immediate difficulties to the good things that are ahead and reassure themselves and their children that things will resolve.
Parents can help children to understand their feelings, put them into context and support them in working through issues in the early days when they are feeling lost.

If the OP would prefer to stay, maybe they and their children could be put in touch with some other local immigrant children who have made the transition successfully so that they have a positive input from folk who have had the same experience.

Most people feel sad and lonely and alien when they get to a new place and it takes a long time to fit in.
Teenagers can be stubborn and I know the emotional drain on parents during this time can be huge and it is hard to be strong, but if you do want to stay and think it is in the long term interests of you and your children to do so, try to explain that to them, get support and weather it through.

Hope everything works out for you all.
Helcat12 how old were your children when you moved to Canada?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:08 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Helcat12 how old were your children when you moved to Canada?
Don't have my own, gilly, just deal with other people's
I know how hard it is when children get something into their heads and parents are put in an emotional nightmare of trying to do their best for their children but appear to be upsetting them by doing so.

I hope the OP can find a way through this.

Last edited by helcat12; Feb 9th 2012 at 10:10 pm. Reason: addition
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:09 pm

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't have my own, gilly, just deal with other people's
Ah right, enough said.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:12 pm
Island life at last

Ah right, enough said.
Do you think they can weather it through or that they should pack up? - not sure from your post.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Adults have the benefit of experience and can see past the immediate difficulties to the good things that are ahead and reassure themselves and their children that things will resolve. Parents can help children to understand their feelings, put them into context and support them in working through issues in the early days when they are feeling lost.

I absolutely agree, this is excellent advice.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:26 pm

Do you think they can weather it through or that they should pack up? - not sure from your post.
As parents only they know what they have been through, the emotions and heartache that have brought them to this decision. No-one can truly understand how hard it is unless they have lived through the same situation. I am sure Sarah will do what she thinks best for her family.
It really isn't as black and white as some people think it is.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:49 pm
Island life at last

As parents only they know what they have been through, the emotions and heartache that have brought them to this decision. No-one can truly understand how hard it is unless they have lived through the same situation. I am sure Sarah will do what she thinks best for her family.
It really isn't as black and white as some people think it is.

It is true, it isn't black and white and here she will get all shades of in between thoughts and advice from all different standpoints.

Has she definitely made her decision?
She presumably posted on here for the thoughts and support of others.
That's what people use this forum for - to get some feedback and see what others have to offer.

It isn't about telling people what they should do, but offering something to help the OP in her struggle with her current choices and situation.

It is facile in the extreme to say that only someone who has been through something can understand it.
If that was true, no physiotherapist could help an amputee without having lost a limb, no psychiatrist could help a schizophrenic without having a dual personality and in fact no-one could help anyone on this forum unless the exact same thing had happened to them......

As a professional who has supported children and their parents through some very difficult life transitions, I have something to offer the in the way of positive outlook and encouragement, as others on this forum do also from their own unique perspective.

I don't have to have used my womb to have something pertinent to say to a parent.

Maybe instead of commenting on the posts of others, you could offer the OP something to ease her situation from your unique perspective?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for the love.....
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:17 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Oh for the love.....
Nothing useful to the OP?
Is her thread going to be hijacked by people bitching?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:22 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Oh for the love.....
Fight...fight...fight!

Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:23 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno..is it?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Fight...fight...fight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.