Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 Months in Rural Manitoba - loving it!

6 Months in Rural Manitoba - loving it!

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

KJCMedora2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 Months in Rural Manitoba - loving it!

Well, my family and I arrived in Manitoba 6 months today and so far everything has been amazing.
We seem to have been very lucky that my OH's employer has lived upto expectations and we have not had any problems on that front as many seem to have on BE.
So far I have not worked as I cannot get a work permit until we get PNP - the application goes in tomorrow . I thought that I would find this very difficult as I have never been unemployed since the age of 16 when I started my first Saturday job but after the first couple of weeks I have managed to keep busy renovating the house, meeting new people (and networking for when I can work), getting all of our paperwork sorted and walking the dog twice a day! We knew that I wouldn't be able to work though and so ensured that we had sufficient funds to cover several months.
We have purchased a house - many would advise against this as my OH is only on a TWP but it was a risk we discussed and decided to take as we are pretty confident on obtaining PNP and PR. I suppose the fact that we are in rural Manitoba helped too as the price was very good and we still have funds in the bank for back up in case everything does go wrong.
Our 12 year old daughter has settled into school brilliantly and has many new friends and lots of sleepovers! She has taken up figure skating and seems to be a complete natural at skiing - both pursuits that we would not have done in the UK. I have asked her several times if she regrets anything about moving to Canada and she has assured me that she is very happy and loves it here.
We have come to terms with travelling 70 miles to get the weekly shopping and also with the lack of choice/competition compared with the UK.
We do miss family and friends in the UK but regularly Skype and e-mail and find that in some relationships we actually keep in better touch than we did in the UK
Manitoba is a beautiful place, the sunrises and sunsets are fantastic, the fresh air is wonderful and we are certainly all leading a much healthier life.
In summary, we have gone the whole hog - moved our whole life over here and so far have no regrets whatsoever.
I would add though that we came over here after an exploratory visit, extensive research and sufficient funds in case things don't work out and also very importantly a positive attitude to a new life.
I hope that this shows that things can be good out here and wish luck to all others looking at coming to Canada and in particular Manitoba as it is a wonderful place.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all
Default Re: 6 Months in Rural Manitoba - loving it!

What a lovely post! So glad to hear things are going well.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:03 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCMedora2011
Well, my family and I arrived in Manitoba 6 months today and so far everything has been amazing.
We seem to have been very lucky that my OH's employer has lived upto expectations and we have not had any problems on that front as many seem to have on BE.
So far I have not worked as I cannot get a work permit until we get PNP - the application goes in tomorrow . I thought that I would find this very difficult as I have never been unemployed since the age of 16 when I started my first Saturday job but after the first couple of weeks I have managed to keep busy renovating the house, meeting new people (and networking for when I can work), getting all of our paperwork sorted and walking the dog twice a day! We knew that I wouldn't be able to work though and so ensured that we had sufficient funds to cover several months.
We have purchased a house - many would advise against this as my OH is only on a TWP but it was a risk we discussed and decided to take as we are pretty confident on obtaining PNP and PR. I suppose the fact that we are in rural Manitoba helped too as the price was very good and we still have funds in the bank for back up in case everything does go wrong.
Our 12 year old daughter has settled into school brilliantly and has many new friends and lots of sleepovers! She has taken up figure skating and seems to be a complete natural at skiing - both pursuits that we would not have done in the UK. I have asked her several times if she regrets anything about moving to Canada and she has assured me that she is very happy and loves it here.
We have come to terms with travelling 70 miles to get the weekly shopping and also with the lack of choice/competition compared with the UK.
We do miss family and friends in the UK but regularly Skype and e-mail and find that in some relationships we actually keep in better touch than we did in the UK
Manitoba is a beautiful place, the sunrises and sunsets are fantastic, the fresh air is wonderful and we are certainly all leading a much healthier life.
In summary, we have gone the whole hog - moved our whole life over here and so far have no regrets whatsoever.
I would add though that we came over here after an exploratory visit, extensive research and sufficient funds in case things don't work out and also very importantly a positive attitude to a new life.
I hope that this shows that things can be good out here and wish luck to all others looking at coming to Canada and in particular Manitoba as it is a wonderful place.
What a fabulous, positive post!
I am really happy for you reading this!

You certainly do have a very good attitude and it is so heartening to read that good planning and a genuine wish to fit in and make a happy new life in Canada has served you well!

You also seem to have done/be doing all the right things - having money available for unexpected things, being outgoing and networking even though you cannot work, keeping busy, anticipating potential issues but not letting fear of them hold you back and that is probably why you are thriving.

Your daughter seems to have an outgoing nature and a willingness to embrace new environments and friends as well and no doubt she has inherted and learned some of that from you - so VERY well done there, too!!

You make me want to visit Manitoba and see what all the gushing is about
Long may it continue for you and your family!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks mrsr0binson
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Helcat. Luckily we all have a very positive and adventurous outlook on life
Life is too short to sit wondering 'what if?' and so we decided to jump in with both feet and if all doesn't go as we would like then we will face that when we come to it.
Our motto is that life is for living so enjoy it while you can
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:24 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Helcat. Luckily we all have a very positive and adventurous outlook on life
Life is too short to sit wondering 'what if?' and so we decided to jump in with both feet and if all doesn't go as we would like then we will face that when we come to it.
Our motto is that life is for living so enjoy it while you can
I think that you jumped in with both feet, but with your wellies on, so to speak!
You sound like you assessed the risks, prepared well and considered everything before you came and then took considered risks that you were happy with (like buying the house).

There is a path between recklessly adventurous and boringly safe and you appear to have trodden just a happy medium between the two
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks helcat. I am naturally an organised person although must admit my OH did the majority of research and planning as he worked shifts in the UK. (Thanks GC44 )
I did lots of spreadsheets though with various scenarios so that we had a 'worst' scenario just in case. I am a great believer in checking all routes and you cannot do enough research and planning - it's then you need to take the jump and keep optomistic no matter what life throws at you!
Luckily all is going well at the moment, hopefully due to our extensive research and preparation, but you only need to read BE to see how wrong things can go.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:44 pm
Island life at last

Thanks helcat. I am naturally an organised person although must admit my OH did the majority of research and planning as he worked shifts in the UK. (Thanks GC44 )
I did lots of spreadsheets though with various scenarios so that we had a 'worst' scenario just in case. I am a great believer in checking all routes and you cannot do enough research and planning - it's then you need to take the jump and keep optomistic no matter what life throws at you!
Luckily all is going well at the moment, hopefully due to our extensive research and preparation, but you only need to read BE to see how wrong things can go.
Yes, I did most of the research and planning and come to think of it, ALL the packing and house selling and paperwork!

I admit to being a bit of a control freak myself, but there comes a point when you have to trust that you have done enough, make the jump and hope that if anything you haven't thought of happens and throws a spanner in the works, you will have the flexibility and back-up to deal with it!

Good for you and hope things go up and up for you.
I hope lots of people read your thread and feel happier for it.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Atelman is an unknown quantity at this point

KJCMedora2011, thank you for your lovely post. It really shows that willingness to make changes pay back positively. Can I ask you, did you realize before the exploratory visit that you will settle down in Medora? What places did you explore during EV? Was your job offer paramount in selection of future residence?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi Atelman,
When we came on an exploratory visit we visited several areas of Manitoba including Brandon, Deloraine, Winkler and Winnipeg. Our favourite was the Deloraine area and both my husband and I were lucky enough to make an impression on an employer. We went down the LMO / TWP route with my husband as his experience working at Nestle UK made him a better candidate for a job here. Our future employer was determined and after a year and 3 attempts at an LMO he finally got one and we packed up and moved within 3 weeks. As I am 'only an office worker', and my husband's job didn't warrant an open work permit for me straight away then we had to wait until we got PNP nomination before I could start work but I kepy busy renovating our new home and then as soon as we got PNP I we flagpoled and got my work permit on the Friday and I began work at the same employer on the Monday! So far all is working out good and we are now waiting for PR.
After looking around the various areas it seemed that several places would have been willing to offer us jobs but we wanted to live in a rural area and so when a company said that they were interested in employing both of us in an area that we liked when we visited, we decided to go for it.
I hope that you find an area that you are interested in and go for it. It's certainly changed our lives and we all love it! Good Luck.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Atelman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi KJCMedora2011,
Thanks again for your reply. Being a pro in your field, which satisfies an employer is a key factor. It is nice that you are happy with your new location. Wish you success in gaining PR soonest))