British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   6 months in the Creek (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/6-months-creek-799768/)

Robin (The Gadget family) Jun 11th 2013 6:58 am

6 months in the Creek

I love being here and still find myself wondering how we managed to get here. Is my stay about to end? Do I have to get on a plane and return to England? Suburban North Surrey seems a million miles away and this life style couldn't be more different.

We live 12 km from the main highway at the end of a very long road. Bears live around here side by side with the deer. Cougars are often sighted. The scenery is staggeringly beautiful and not a day goes by without me appreciating the sea,mountain or lake views.

I have not struggled to adapt in the slightest, maybe because I had a nomadic upbringing. Andy was here 16 months ahead of me along with our daughter and said that he does not want to go back either and loves it here.

Our daughter struggles with living so far away from town but has recently made friends within cycling distance so has friends to hang out with after school. She has a full on Canadian accent at the end of the school day but it still changes back to the English accent by evening. She is excited to have been invited to her friends graduation party at the end of the month. She plays soccer and loves walking the dog.

Our son has moved out of home and lives in a cabin on the main road and has a job locally in the pizza delivery place that is also a coffee stop. We don't see him that often but pop in for a cup of tea from time to time.

I guess for me this move has been about providing an alternative lifestyle in a different country for our kids and reuniting my brothers and me, who live within 300 yards. Our mother is here too now and lives in a converted cabin at the top of one of my brothers property. We are close and enjoy each others company daily.

I have only positive feelings about my last 6 months and have no desire to even visit the UK.

Loving it!

DandNHill Jun 11th 2013 12:42 pm

Re: 6 months in the Creek

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 10751021)
I love being here and still find myself wondering how we managed to get here. Is my stay about to end? Do I have to get on a plane and return to England? Suburban North Surrey seems a million miles away and this life style couldn't be more different.

We live 12 km from the main highway at the end of a very long road. Bears live around here side by side with the deer. Cougars are often sighted. The scenery is staggeringly beautiful and not a day goes by without me appreciating the sea,mountain or lake views.

I have not struggled to adapt in the slightest, maybe because I had a nomadic upbringing. Andy was here 16 months ahead of me along with our daughter and said that he does not want to go back either and loves it here.

Our daughter struggles with living so far away from town but has recently made friends within cycling distance so has friends to hang out with after school. She has a full on Canadian accent at the end of the school day but it still changes back to the English accent by evening. She is excited to have been invited to her friends graduation party at the end of the month. She plays soccer and loves walking the dog.

Our son has moved out of home and lives in a cabin on the main road and has a job locally in the pizza delivery place that is also a coffee stop. We don't see him that often but pop in for a cup of tea from time to time.

I guess for me this move has been about providing an alternative lifestyle in a different country for our kids and reuniting my brothers and me, who live within 300 yards. Our mother is here too now and lives in a converted cabin at the top of one of my brothers property. We are close and enjoy each others company daily.

I have only positive feelings about my last 6 months and have no desire to even visit the UK.

Loving it!

Your life sounds wonderful. I'm so glad it worked out for you :)

I understand about not wanting to go to the UK. I don't either. Recently I had a friend in the UK ask me when I was coming home!! I am home!!! lol

Howefamily Jun 11th 2013 1:32 pm

Sounds fabulous, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

james.mc Jun 11th 2013 6:02 pm

Hey Robin. Glad it's all going well. :)

Quite a long haul from the start of your immigration process, but you got there in the end and family reunited which is what counts. Good luck!

MillieF Jun 11th 2013 10:56 pm

You have only positive feelings...and how could we say anything but...Well done You! The majority of problems that you might encounter, are all due to negative feelings.....you don't have them, and that is wonderful. You are going to be really happy here and your life for you and your family, will be exactly as you wanted:thumbsup: great stuff:thumbup:

Robin (The Gadget family) Jun 12th 2013 12:30 am

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 10751498)
Your life sounds wonderful. I'm so glad it worked out for you :)

I understand about not wanting to go to the UK. I don't either. Recently I had a friend in the UK ask me when I was coming home!! I am home!!! lol

Yes, home is here and it's just taken 33 years to be able to say that since being here in 1979.

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10751557)
Sounds fabulous, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

:)

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 10751981)
Hey Robin. Glad it's all going well. :)

Quite a long haul from the start of your immigration process, but you got there in the end and family reunited which is what counts. Good luck!

Hi James, I see that you are now down in Sooke, equally happy I hope....

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 10752374)
You have only positive feelings...and how could we say anything but...Well done You! The majority of problems that you might encounter, are all due to negative feelings.....you don't have them, and that is wonderful. You are going to be really happy here and your life for you and your family, will be exactly as you wanted:thumbsup: great stuff:thumbup:

Thanks Millie, yup, cup always half full, no point in negativity. I can't remember when I last had a crap day!

ann m Jun 12th 2013 1:55 am

Hello Robin <waves manically> - lovely update - sooooo glad to hear it's all going well. :thumbup:

Robin (The Gadget family) Jun 12th 2013 2:08 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10752520)
Hello Robin <waves manically> - lovely update - sooooo glad to hear it's all going well. :thumbup:

Aaaaah - Ann, thought you'd be along sometime, especially since you were one of my first contacts on BE.

I have thought about doing a book-keeping course because a lot of people don't seem to be able to put their books together or to do their tax returns. I have done 4 tax returns now and am pleased to report that they make more sense after the 4th one.

Off to taste the contents of my slow cooker.....another Canadian habit....

bcmama Jun 12th 2013 4:37 am

That's a great update, hope you continue to enjoy for many years!

Mikeypm Jun 12th 2013 11:35 am

Great update and glad to hear that it is all positive and you have such a postive outlook on everything :)

Clematis Jun 12th 2013 11:00 pm

So happy to hear that (still) Robin, great update, lots of love to you all :)

izzi81 Jun 13th 2013 3:37 pm

Great post :) your life sounds perfect, so glad it's all worked out for you! Hopefully we'll be posting something similar in 6 months or so. Your life sounds idyllic :thumbsup: