6 months

Old Sep 19th 2012, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months

Originally Posted by helcat12
I really do feel parents' frustration when they have issues with this sort of thing in school and teachers don;'t handle it well, but please don't tell him to hit back at school.

He will only get into trouble as well as the guilty party, which is so unfair on him.

Get the Principle involved straight away if the teacher won't/can't sort it out.
Our experience of schools in Canada is that they simply do not want to deal with the issue when it is raised. As with most things, I assume it is due to their reluctance for confrontation.

I have told my kids to hit back if they are hit. We will deal with the fall out as and when. We have spoken to the principals, all of whom have simply refused to do anything.

Fortunately, the principals can at least spell words correctly
Old Sep 19th 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Our experience of schools in Canada is that they simply do not want to deal with the issue when it is raised. As with most things, I assume it is due to their reluctance for confrontation.

I have told my kids to hit back if they are hit. We will deal with the fall out as and when. We have spoken to the principals, all of whom have simply refused to do anything.

My son's *Principal* is so nice... too nice - and I could see him running a mile from a confrontation....

Thanks for the spelling lesson... All these new words I have to get used to...
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:30 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
My son's *Principal* is so nice... too nice - and I could see him running a mile from a confrontation....

Thanks for the spelling lesson... All these new words I have to get used to...

Sorry, had typed "Headteacher" and then thought "That is not the Canadian term" and defaulted to UK spelling while correcting!

No-one likes confrontation, but if that is what Canadian Principals are like then they do not deserve to be in the role. Personally, I would rather have a Headteacher with some b******s about him/her than one who could spell!
A Principal should inspire confidence and above all IMHO, be a strong character with some level of natural authority. They don't have to teach, but they do have to lead.

Children who hit need to be taught that it is wrong and sanctions need to be set if they do it.
I have had to deal with this in the UK as a teacher and it is a universal issue. You just cannot ignore it - that sends the message it is right.

I would be in there raising merry Hell every time it happened until the Principal got their finger out if it was my child.
I would take the flak for that - but I just wouldn't teach my child that violence is the right solution. For me, that is descending to the lowest common denominator.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, had typed "Headteacher" and then thought "That is not the Canadian term" and defaulted to UK spelling while correcting!

No-one likes confrontation, but if that is what Canadian Principals are like then they do not deserve to be in the role. Personally, I would rather have a Headteacher with some b******s about him/her than one who could spell!
A Principal should inspire confidence and above all IMHO, be a strong character with some level of natural authority. They don't have to teach, but they do have to lead.

Children who hit need to be taught that it is wrong and sanctions need to be set if they do it.
I have had to deal with this in the UK as a teacher and it is a universal issue. You just cannot ignore it - that sends the message it is right.

I would be in there raising merry Hell every time it happened until the Principal got their finger out if it was my child.
I would take the flak for that - but I just wouldn't teach my child that violence is the right solution. For me, that is descending to the lowest common denominator.
I have experience of mutiple parents complaining about the same child and nothing being done. I agree that those in charge should take the necessary steps but, more often than not, they don't as they don't want to upset anyone. I have experience of the victims having to move classes rather than their assailant.

Ivory towers are great but, after my kids hit back, the bullies evidently decided to pick on someone else. Not ideal but it worked for us. Wouldn't be necessary if those tasked with keeping the peace did so.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:26 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a similar experience, my kid has had problems in High School and I just got, 'well it happens to most kids that come through the school' In Hindsight I should have pulled her out of that school then and there...
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmm....sorry, spelling and grammar pendant hat is on....

Principle is not the UK spelling, it means something different. It would be Principal in either country if referring to a Headteacher. Principle means 'basic truth' or 'rule' - it's the same spelling for both these words and their respective meanings in either country.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:28 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I have experience of mutiple parents complaining about the same child and nothing being done. I agree that those in charge should take the necessary steps but, more often than not, they don't as they don't want to upset anyone. I have experience of the victims having to move classes rather than their assailant.

Ivory towers are great but, after my kids hit back, the bullies evidently decided to pick on someone else. Not ideal but it worked for us. Wouldn't be necessary if those tasked with keeping the peace did so.
I am completely with you on the abdication of responsibility issue, but I have to say that I believe that parents who tell their child to hit back are doing exactly the same thing - abdicating responsibility for protecting their child.

Just because it "worked" for your child doesn't make it right.

If you tell your child to hit back, you are effectively making it their problem to solve it, which IMO is unfair .
As a teacher, I feel that is my job because I am an adult and I should
a) be protecting my children and
b) teaching them the right way to behave in the world.

Why should I let a child be drawn into violence by another child whose parents clearly cannot bring up their child properly?
That isn't ivory towers, it is not letting ignorant people dictate your life.

If you tell your child to hit back, you are starting a whole lot more trouble for your kid.

What if you have a kid who is scared as the child is much bigger than them?
What if they don't want to hit back?
What if they do hit back and it is rubbish and they get the c**p kicked out of them in the resulting fight?
What if they are punished for doing so alongside the instigator and get that sort of thing on their school record?

There are so many reasons why it is unfair on the child to expect them to handle it.
I would have more respect for a parent that went round and had it out with the offending child's parent - at least that parent is standing up for their child - than one who just told their child to hit back and then left it to their child to fight it out on their own.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I am completely with you on the abdication of responsibility issue, but I have to say that I believe that parents who tell their child to hit back are doing exactly the same thing - abdicating responsibility for protecting their child.

If you tell your child to hit back, you are effectively making it their problem to solve it, which IMO is unfair .

Why should I let a child be drawn into violence by another child whose parents clearly cannot bring up their child properly?

If you tell your child to hit back, you are starting a whole lot more trouble for your kid.

What if they do hit back and it is rubbish and they get the c**p kicked out of them in the resulting fight?
What if they are punished for doing so alongside the instigator and get that sort of thing on their school record?

There are so many reasons why it is unfair on the child to expect them to handle it.
I would have more respect for a parent that went round and had it out with the offending child's parent - at least that parent is standing up for their child - than one who just told their child to hit back and then left it to their child to fight it out on their own.
I can see both sides on this one. Yes it's wrong to hit anyone - my rules are simple - if he hits you once you don't hit back - twice - you hit back. Ideal? absolutely not. I hate violence of any sort.

However there is nothing more soul destroying/upsetting than seeing your well mannered child be hit by an out of control non rule following child. Teachers can be *very* ineffective at dealing with it and if the kids has parents who don't care then what else are you supposed to do?

My son hasn't hit anyone for over 4 years. A "friend" was being overly handy with him and in desperation after him crying 3 times at his own party I told him to hit him back. His friend hasn't hit him since. I told the mum and she was like "good". Sometimes it's the only thing that works I am afraid.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:20 pm
Island life at last

I can see both sides on this one. Yes it's wrong to hit anyone - my rules are simple - if he hits you once you don't hit back - twice - you hit back. Ideal? absolutely not. I hate violence of any sort.

However there is nothing more soul destroying/upsetting than seeing your well mannered child be hit by an out of control non rule following child. Teachers can be *very* ineffective at dealing with it and if the kids has parents who don't care then what else are you supposed to do?

My son hasn't hit anyone for over 4 years. A "friend" was being overly handy with him and in desperation after him crying 3 times at his own party I told him to hit him back. His friend hasn't hit him since. I told the mum and she was like "good". Sometimes it's the only thing that works I am afraid.
I despair of Canadian teachers if this is the norm.

Nothing is ideal in this situation and I do very much sympathise with parents who try trusting the school only to be let down.

I'd be having it out with the parent at the gates, for preference. The Principal wouldn't like duelling parents on his/her doorstep - maybe then they would step in.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I despair of Canadian teachers if this is the norm.

Nothing is ideal in this situation and I do very much sympathise with parents who try trusting the school only to be let down.

I'd be having it out with the parent at the gates, for preference. The Principal wouldn't like duelling parents on his/her doorstep - maybe then they would step in.
Come to my son's school and sort them out Helcat.

Teacher to child who hit my son "Oh come on honey you know you shouldn't hit"... oh ok then... Tell explaining that when you get home to my son who got punched in the stomach the other day...

Ends justify the means... if they can't deal with it properly and it happens again I am going straight to the top. If they don't like that I tell him to hit back - tough... They can tell me off! I've said to him to tell them that I said it was ok and to call me if they have a problem! I'm very mild mannered when it comes to most things - not this tho!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:58 pm
Island life at last

Come to my son's school and sort them out Helcat.

Teacher to child who hit my son "Oh come on honey you know you shouldn't hit"... oh ok then... Tell explaining that when you get home to my son who got punched in the stomach the other day...

Ends justify the means... if they can't deal with it properly and it happens again I am going straight to the top. If they don't like that I tell him to hit back - tough... They can tell me off! I've said to him to tell them that I said it was ok and to call me if they have a problem! I'm very mild mannered when it comes to most things - not this tho!
Get out there and give them a slap!
If they don't like confrontation, then go and give them one they will never forget - they will be so frightened of you, they may just be moved to sort it out.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Get out there and give them a slap!
If they don't like confrontation, then go and give them one they will never forget - they will be so frightened of you, they may just be moved to sort it out.
LOL! I wonder how that would go down!! Canadians are so very polite all the time aren't they?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:43 pm
Island life at last

LOL! I wonder how that would go down!! Canadians are so very polite all the time aren't they?
Yes, but their weakness is our strength.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, but their weakness is our strength.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would happily "protect" them, but the law doesn't allow me to. If the teachers won't, please tell me what should my child do?

I never said it was right. It was not right for the bully to assault my child.

It is their problem and those tasked with ensuring they are secure, didn't.

Please tell me what you would do: write a strongly worded letter?

No I am not. They were not the aggressors. They attend martial arts classes and are not shrinking violets. They told the teacher/school and the teacher/school didn't deal with it in any way. They asked me what they should do if it happened again and I told them.

Again, what would you do when the school chooses to do nothing? Would you advocate keeping the child from school due to the fear they feel?

Do you live in the real world? I have tried this in the past and have been told to f*&k off. Again, what would you do in such a situation?

What if the bully travels to school via bus, or the parent never attends the school?

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 20th 2012 at 11:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.