6 months

Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:20 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months

Wow! Is it six months already - congratulations!

I don't have experience with school age kids just yet, but another idea might be considering alternative programs? As well as French immersion, there's Spanish immersion, Mandarin immersion, Traditional Learning Centres (still don't quite understand what these are), Charter Schools e.g. Westmount, even private schools if you have the cash (some of them are cheaper for a year than daycare costs!!!)

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/prog-choice.asp
http://liveincalgary.com/schools-and...rivate-schools

Good luck!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Think hard before doing that, it gives them no academic advantage in the end, they graduate a year early and then what? It puts them into a group socially more mature, when they get to grade 10, many of their friends can start driving and they can't.
Moving very advanced and/or bright kids up a year is not just about academic advantage though. A child that remains unchallenged can easily become very disillusioned with schooling, and do worse in the long run.

And as bright children get older, they can sometimes stand out like a sore thumb among their own-age peers, which can lead to plenty of social problems too, whereas moving a child up in the early years means that by the time they get to high school age they are well integrated and have developed firm friendships among their (slightly!) older peers.

Remember there is a considerable difference in age and maturity even among a single year group, and not everyone goes through puberty at exactly the same time, so moving up one academic year is not neccesarily going to be a social disaster. A childs social maturity depends somewhat on the social norms of their peer group, and they will adjust their bahaviour to fit in. If they are surrounded by slightly more mature kids, chances are they will start behaving as such.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Moving very advanced and/or bright kids up a year is not just about academic advantage though. A child that remains unchallenged can easily become very disillusioned with schooling, and do worse in the long run.

And as bright children get older, they can sometimes stand out like a sore thumb among their own-age peers, which can lead to plenty of social problems too, whereas moving a child up in the early years means that by the time they get to high school age they are well integrated and have developed firm friendships among their (slightly!) older peers.

Remember there is a considerable difference in age and maturity even among a single year group, and not everyone goes through puberty at exactly the same time, so moving up one academic year is not neccesarily going to be a social disaster. A childs social maturity depends somewhat on the social norms of their peer group, and they will adjust their bahaviour to fit in. If they are surrounded by slightly more mature kids, chances are they will start behaving as such.
Your post sums up how I felt about the whole situation. Thanks for your reply
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of working out whether we will move to Canada or not. Our son is 9, so I worry about him in the early days, settling in and moving away from his friends here. But I also think the opportunities it may open up for him in the future could be well worth it.

Where did you move to Geordie Lass?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:46 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

As a teacher, I am worried I will find the curriculum here boring and too easy, never mind the kids!

I would say that at the ages of children we are discussing here it isn't about whether academics get jobs or not, or the merits of vocational training over academia, it is about stimulation of the mind and fostering an enthusiasm for learning.

If your child is hungry for knowledge and enjoys meeting new concepts and learning new facts then being forced to repeat things they already know or always doing work which is far too easy for them is boring, demoralising and ultimately likely to turn them off education or result in a deterioration in their behaviour in class.

I would not want that for any child in my class.

It amazes me that the teachers here need to be told that is the case - if I was in the UK teaching I would certainly not need the parent to tell me their child was finding the work too easy!
Differentiation and extension of the curriculum to meet the needs of all the children in the class, including the higher achievers is part of my job.
In the UK, I have had classes with children at levels of achievement which vary from Level 1 to Level 5 (UK NC levels) at age 9 and I am expected to accommodate and stretch them all.
Moving children up age groups just isn't really considered as an option for high achievers in the UK, as it seems to be here.

However, from working with Canadian kids in a non-school but educational context, my experience is that they are also lower in maturity than children of the same age in the UK, so I might not have the worries about moving a UK child up in year group here from that point of view.

It just worries me that this seems to be the common solution offered when IMHO the teacher should be using differentiation to manage attainment across their whole range of ability.
Can't teachers here do that?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I am quite interested by the idea of kids being a little behind at school than they are here in the UK. Our son isn't 'behind' here but he's not a natural academic and is certainly not one of the highest achievers, and he is also one of the very youngest in his year group, which sometimes shows. I wonder whether he would benefit hugely from repeating stuff he has already done, but without having to repeat a year or appear to be behind where he is meant to be, if that makes sense. I guess I would have to go and check out how things seem to be in the schools in the area we are looking at... but it's not putting me off....
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:01 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Actually I am quite interested by the idea of kids being a little behind at school than they are here in the UK. Our son isn't 'behind' here but he's not a natural academic and is certainly not one of the highest achievers, and he is also one of the very youngest in his year group, which sometimes shows. I wonder whether he would benefit hugely from repeating stuff he has already done, but without having to repeat a year or appear to be behind where he is meant to be, if that makes sense. I guess I would have to go and check out how things seem to be in the schools in the area we are looking at... but it's not putting me off....
Of course, you must make a choice depending on your own child's needs and aptitudes.
If he is of moderate attainment, as you suggest and is at the younger end of the year group in the UK, maybe he would fit in very well with his own year group here.
As he is "not a natural academic" he might enjoy the diversity of extra-curricular activities that seem to be available at Canadian schools.

I am certainly not one of those teachers for whom academic attainment is the be-all and end-all. I think that in the UK there is too much emphasis on year-on-year grades improvement at such a young age.
But, I do believe that if the child wants and has the capacity to learn they shouldn't be held back by the expectations or abilities of the teacher to provide for their needs.

I worry that moving high-achieving children up a year (with its associated potential social issues) just because they are above the academic attainment for their age expectations is being used as a get-out of properly managing teaching and learning and that leads me on to worrying that the other children are not being properly catered for, either.
I suppose I will find out shortly.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

No I'm with you really. I was a high achiever, but I am so glad I was never moved up a year; I think studying alongside peers is really important. It's a huge shame if teaching can't provide for those at the top and the bottom as well as in the middle.

Although, I'm not completely sure that it works all that well here either...
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:41 pm
Island life at last

No I'm with you really. I was a high achiever, but I am so glad I was never moved up a year; I think studying alongside peers is really important. It's a huge shame if teaching can't provide for those at the top and the bottom as well as in the middle.

Although, I'm not completely sure that it works all that well here either...
Only in some classrooms!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of working out whether we will move to Canada or not. Our son is 9, so I worry about him in the early days, settling in and moving away from his friends here. But I also think the opportunities it may open up for him in the future could be well worth it.

Where did you move to Geordie Lass?
Calgary. We have hit more problems with his school today.

It seems to be and I might be way over generalising here but most Canadian boys who my son is in contact with struggle to keep their hands to themselves.... sigh. I've spoken to his teacher tonight as he came out in floods of tears. Its not all rosey in the education system here that's for sure.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh no Georgie Lass

Might he benefit from doing some martial arts? My son (and my husband and I) do Goju Ryu Karate, and it's absolutely BRILLIANT for self confidence, and self defence obviously, although it's intended to be used only as a last resort of course! Our son has benefitted enormously from it, and whilst he has never actually used it on anyone, he has had some bullying behaviour from some classmates who have been really physical with him, and the Karate has allowed him to stand up to them really well, not just physically but mentally too.

The federation of Goju Ryu karate that we belong too is very stong in Canada (the World Chief Instructor is Japanese but lives in Burlington, ON), and I believe there is a dojo in Calgary. It's a traditional martial art too, not a sporting style, which means it is non competitive, and taught in a very traditional way. More info here www.iogkf.com, and in Canada specifically here http://www.iogkf.ca/

I highly recommend it - it's been such a positive thing for me, and for the past few months I've been helping teach the kids' class once a week, and I can see the good it does for those kids. Might be worth looking into?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:11 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Hey

So we have been here 6 months now and what a rollercoaster.

I love living here but homesickness hits hard sometimes. My parents are due their second visit in a month so that's cool.

The Rockies and their beauty still have us in awe every time we visit the mountains - you can see them from our house. The air here is so clean and we all feel healthy. Husband works a lot less hours than the UK.

There are things here that drive me crazy - the usual that everyone talks about - esp the post. It took 7 weeks for our police checks to land in the UK. We are applying for PR when we get them back. Not because we are definitely staying but just to keep the door open.

I have made some really nice friends - some off here, others from school, others from husband's work. I have Canadian friends, British, Kiwis and South African so that's great.

Schooling - it's ok now but we had a pretty shaky start. We are considering moving our son up a grade as he's way ahead of his peers. We are meeting with his teachers this week. We underestimated how homesick our son would get and this has caused me a lot of upset. He was 6 when we landed.

We are very happy here but it's not for the faint-hearted. Would I do it again? absolutely. In hindsight I wish we had done it when our son was younger as seeing him upset has been really hard on us.

7 months back for us. Still adjusting and missing home a lot, which is weird for me. I feel so different to the first time i came.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh no Georgie Lass

Might he benefit from doing some martial arts? My son (and my husband and I) do Goju Ryu Karate, and it's absolutely BRILLIANT for self confidence, and self defence obviously, although it's intended to be used only as a last resort of course! Our son has benefitted enormously from it, and whilst he has never actually used it on anyone, he has had some bullying behaviour from some classmates who have been really physical with him, and the Karate has allowed him to stand up to them really well, not just physically but mentally too.

The federation of Goju Ryu karate that we belong too is very stong in Canada (the World Chief Instructor is Japanese but lives in Burlington, ON), and I believe there is a dojo in Calgary. It's a traditional martial art too, not a sporting style, which means it is non competitive, and taught in a very traditional way. More info here www.iogkf.com, and in Canada specifically here http://www.iogkf.ca/

I highly recommend it - it's been such a positive thing for me, and for the past few months I've been helping teach the kids' class once a week, and I can see the good it does for those kids. Might be worth looking into?
He can defend himself I've just taught him not to hit back. He's never needed to really. He did hit one of his friends a couple of weeks ago after I told him if he did it again he had my permission to hit back. Proper walloped him he did. His friend hasn't hit him since. I am toying with the idea of telling him to do this at school too... Not ideal but I'm not having this carry on.

Originally Posted by Londonuck
7 months back for us. Still adjusting and missing home a lot, which is weird for me. I feel so different to the first time i came.
I think we all get homesick from time to time. Whereabouts in Canada are you?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:28 am
Island life at last

He can defend himself I've just taught him not to hit back. He's never needed to really. He did hit one of his friends a couple of weeks ago after I told him if he did it again he had my permission to hit back. Proper walloped him he did. His friend hasn't hit him since. I am toying with the idea of telling him to do this at school too... Not ideal but I'm not having this carry on.
I really do feel parents' frustration when they have issues with this sort of thing in school and teachers don;'t handle it well, but please don't tell him to hit back at school.

He will only get into trouble as well as the guilty party, which is so unfair on him.

Get the Principle involved straight away if the teacher won't/can't sort it out.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think we all get homesick from time to time. Whereabouts in Canada are you?
Thanks Helcat. I needed to hear that really... As a mum all you want is to stop the hurt and if that means hitting a kid that's lashed out first then so be it. I will talk to him again and tell him normality ie don't hit has resumed. He's such a lovely kid with a good heart that this is really upsetting. He has his faults but there isn't a mean bone in his body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.