Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

54 years ago today ..............

54 years ago today ..............

Old Aug 22nd 2021, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default 54 years ago today ..............

......... we rolled up to the Canadian post at the Pacific Border crossing in our red American Rambler wagon with 2 young UK visitors, and no papers.

It wasn't our fault ............ Canada Post had been on strike for over 6 weeks and thus everything was delayed.

The girls had no problems, of course, but OH and I had to go into the office to be interviewed ..... showing the officer OH's letter of appointment, with date of as of August 1st, meant a big smile appeared on his face. He checked in the back room, but no papers there, so we were told we could enter and go to the Immigration Office in the Marine Building in Vancouver within a couple of days, with or without the papers, which "might" have been sent to the university.

Needless to say they hadn't, the very starchy official at the Marine Building told us that we had to re-enter the US, turn around and come back into Canada, when we "might" be allowed in again

We stopped in a parking lot on this side of the border, walked into the office, explained ourselves, the officer went in the back room and returned with an envelope addressed to OH, with all our papers. He told us to leave.

As a result, we never got a stamp in our passports, nor an apparently necessary slip of paper stapled into the passport.

Nevertheless, we were here, never had any further problems entering or leaving, and have been very happy with our life.

Never been sorry we left the UK, nor had any feeling of homesickness. There was one time when the economy was very bad, 1983, when we considered we might go to Australia or New Zealand, but then OH did not lose his job, the economy began to improve, and any idea of leaving left us.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 7:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 54 years ago today ..............

That's a lot of years! What an adventure you have had... glad to hear that you are still happy with your decision to relocate to Canada Long may it last!
Old Aug 30th 2021, 2:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

A lifetime well and happily lived Scilly. Long may this continue for you all.

Best Wishes
M
Old Aug 30th 2021, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both!

Yes, we still enjoy Canada, and have so many parts of it over the years. The only places we have not been are Labrador, NWT and Nunavut!
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Scilly…54 happy years in your adopted country.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, JerseyGirl.

It was almost by accident that we found "our place". OH was invited to an interview, offered the position at the interview, and we came for a 2 year adventure, that turned into the 54

Just shows how different it was back then
Old Sep 4th 2021, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

I got off the boat on the 28th of February 1967 at Halifax Nova Scotia in a blizzard.

My first thought on landing in Canada was "I want my mum"

Obviously things got better because I'm still here.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
I got off the boat on the 28th of February 1967 at Halifax Nova Scotia in a blizzard.

My first thought on landing in Canada was "I want my mum"

Obviously things got better because I'm still here.
Were you alone when you arrived?? That would be a bit hard.

Glad that everything ogt better and that you are still here.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Two young guys looking for an adventure with no thought of staying permanently.

Jobs and shiftwork meant we didn't see much of each other.

It's a lonely feeling to walk down Yonge Street in Toronto and be certain that you wont see anyone you know.