Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

5 years in Nova Scotia

5 years in Nova Scotia

Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future
Default Re: 5 years in Nova Scotia

Congratulations and all the best with the citizenship stuff. Here's to hoping you have many more happy years
Old Jun 19th 2012, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HELLIE
Hi Cookie - many congratulations on your 5 year Canniversary. I stumbled across your post by searching for Nova Scotia weather! We are hoping to come to NS within the next year or 2 and I wondered if you could tell me a little more about the winter weather
Don't know if you noticed, but this thread is six months old so Cookie may not see your response.

It would be better to start a new one of your own asking about NS winters in the main Canada forum, where no doubt loads of NS'ers will be happy to help, or even PM Cookie.

Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:11 pm
active again

amherstburgmac is an unknown quantity at this point

10 years in Canada later this year... 8 and a bit in Southern Ontario, and 1 and a bit in Nova Scotia, so far. We loved Ontario, and we love Nova Scotia just as much (if not more). We like the idea of being snowbirds (6 months in NS and 6 months in Florida or South Carolina) for retirement.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 12:17 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amherstburgmac
We like the idea of being snowbirds (6 months in NS and 6 months in Florida or South Carolina) for retirement.
thats exactly what we are planning for!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 12:58 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
thats exactly what we are planning for!
And that's exactly what I have been fortunate enough to be able to do for the past 12 years. From November to the end of March in Arizona. I highly recommend it !
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:02 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
And that's exactly what I have been fortunate enough to be able to do for the past 12 years. From November to the end of March in Arizona. I highly recommend it !
I have noticed in a slightly jealous way that you do this
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:26 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HELLIE
Hi Cookie - many congratulations on your 5 year Canniversary. I stumbled across your post by searching for Nova Scotia weather! We are hoping to come to NS within the next year or 2 and I wondered if you could tell me a little more about the winter weather as it is my main concern - I am a nurse and so would be working nights! So glad you have settled so well, we lived in Australia for a while but returned to the UK for family reasons - I am really hopeful that NS will work out for us - lovely to see so many expats supporting oneanother!..by the way, we in the UK have been told not to expect much sun until September!!
If I were a nurse, working nights then I would not live very rural. You can still live outside the towns or city but be aware the route you would take to work. I have never been stuck in the snow. I live on the edge of town but like many people we all use winter tires and I also drive a 4x4. My son drives a Honda Civic and hasn't been stuck either. They are pretty good at clearing the roads but the more rural areas are not priority over main routes. Seriously consider the length of your driveway when picking a house because it will need to be cleared in the winter.

This winter was an easy one. Not very cold, only down to about -15C or so instead of -20 to -30C. Not much in the way of snow either. We haven't had too much rain which is a worry. Normally it chucks it down in May but it's been quite dry. Spring came early and we have just received the start of our summer humidity which will last until September. Not bad at the moment but can be a real struggle for me (more so than the cold). Having lived in Australia then I am sure the summer here will be fine.