British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   5 years in Nova Scotia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/5-years-nova-scotia-744113/)

Cookie Jan 7th 2012 11:56 am

5 years in Nova Scotia

5 years ago today we touched down on Canadian soil to begin a new chapter in our lives.

Today we are still very happy and none of us have had any homesickness yet. I have been home twice on my own and Mr Cookie went home once. Both still love our homeland but both are happy here too. We have enjoyed many vacations usually to the USA. One of my favourite local places has to be PEI. I just love it and could even see myself living there. I still have lots of Nova Scotia to explore too though.

We live in a great wee town and the locals helped us immensely in settling in very quickly. We have many friends and have a great social life, indoors and outdoors.

I changed careers over 3 years ago and I am still loving my job (mental health support worker). Mr Cookie is still very busy in the same job (telecommunications) he landed prior to us arriving.

My boys are now 21 and 17 and still students. I asked the younger one if he feels British or Canadian and in this short time he replied half and half! It's been a year since we applied for citizenship and we expect it to happen this summer. It will be good to have dual nationality but I am still British and always will be.

I really like the weather here. Great summers (compared to the UK) and guess what........ it snows in Canada, shock horror!!!! We just get on with it like everyone else and enjoy the beauty of it all, especially when the sun is shining down. Life is for the living :D

So here's to the next 5 at least :thumbsup:

Zhanna Jan 7th 2012 5:12 pm

Re: 5 years in Nova Scotia

Thank you for an inspirational post Cookie! Well done to you and your family! We're hoping to move to New Brunswick in near future, but who knows, we may change our minds after visiting Nova Scotia :) Best of luck to you!

Auld Yin Jan 7th 2012 6:14 pm

A great post and pleased your life is good. Thank you for not complaining about the lack of a Waitrose and a John Lewis store.

chobert Jan 7th 2012 7:03 pm

Great post and well done on the 5 year Canniversary :thumbsup:
(We're coming up to 5 months and loving it all!)

Niobii Jan 7th 2012 9:19 pm

We are hoping to move to NS in 2014 and it's so nice to hear how much you are enjoying it. Thanks for sharing and keep us all posted, it's lovely to hear about it. :)

Simon Legree Jan 7th 2012 9:56 pm

A nice post. Congratulations and best wishes for many more happy years in Nova Scotia. :)

GandH Jan 7th 2012 11:01 pm

Sounds like you're all having a great time and here's to hoping the next 5 years are as good to you as the first :thumbsup:

Merry Jan 8th 2012 1:11 am

Congratulations! That's a lovely post and you sound very contented. Another couple of weeks and I'll be posting our 2yr canniversary - doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself. Best wishes for 2012.

ann m Jan 8th 2012 4:57 pm

Good for you! Congrats and here's a raised cup of tea (it's too early you see) to the next five! :D

rossandvi Jan 8th 2012 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 9826654)
5 years ago today we touched down on Canadian soil to begin a new chapter in our lives.

Today we are still very happy and none of us have had any homesickness yet. I have been home twice on my own and Mr Cookie went home once. Both still love our homeland but both are happy here too. We have enjoyed many vacations usually to the USA. One of my favourite local places has to be PEI. I just love it and could even see myself living there. I still have lots of Nova Scotia to explore too though.

We live in a great wee town and the locals helped us immensely in settling in very quickly. We have many friends and have a great social life, indoors and outdoors.

I changed careers over 3 years ago and I am still loving my job (mental health support worker). Mr Cookie is still very busy in the same job (telecommunications) he landed prior to us arriving.

My boys are now 21 and 17 and still students. I asked the younger one if he feels British or Canadian and in this short time he replied half and half! It's been a year since we applied for citizenship and we expect it to happen this summer. It will be good to have dual nationality but I am still British and always will be.

I really like the weather here. Great summers (compared to the UK) and guess what........ it snows in Canada, shock horror!!!! We just get on with it like everyone else and enjoy the beauty of it all, especially when the sun is shining down. Life is for the living :D

So here's to the next 5 at least :thumbsup:

Hi
So good to hear how happy you are.I live on PEI been here 6ys and although the island is beautiful its far from perfect.The health system is a nightmare and very little work for ''us incomers'' it seems job go to relatives or friends of friends ec.
Some of the Ilanders are nice .but most will not mix with outsiders at all and although you may invite them to your home etc they will come if there is free food or wine but dont expect an invite back.Having met many Brits here the story is always the same.
The say e Scots are mean.......wow give this place a try. Great for a holiday but to live here ....think twice.Mainlanders are much nicer people.

rossandvi Jan 8th 2012 8:38 pm

How things have changed.

heading-west Jan 8th 2012 9:40 pm

Cookie, I loved your post, it reflects what we are experiencing here on the South Shore. We have been here a mere 3.5 months and love it so much. No day is ever dull!

keep up your good lives and 'cheers' to the next 5 years :thumbsup:

Arty Jan 22nd 2012 9:19 pm

Congratulations on your Caniversary :D

Arty & Family

HELLIE Jun 18th 2012 9:22 pm

Hi Cookie - many congratulations on your 5 year Canniversary. I stumbled across your post by searching for Nova Scotia weather! We are hoping to come to NS within the next year or 2 and I wondered if you could tell me a little more about the winter weather as it is my main concern - I am a nurse and so would be working nights! So glad you have settled so well, we lived in Australia for a while but returned to the UK for family reasons - I am really hopeful that NS will work out for us - lovely to see so many expats supporting oneanother!..by the way, we in the UK have been told not to expect much sun until September!!

Skimom Jun 18th 2012 9:33 pm

Great post. Congratulations on your first 5 years! Hope life in Canada continues to treat you well.