Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

5 Years and has moved so fast

5 Years and has moved so fast

Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 Years and has moved so fast

5 years ago I arrived by myself in Toronto on a TWP and moved down to Waterloo to start my new job, 2 months later my wife and 2 dogs arrived.

Within 3 months we lost a dog (heatstroke), before the year was complete we lost the second (heart problems).

After 2 years we had PR and were driving across country to start a new life in Saskatoon, with a heavily pregnant wife (expecting twins). A few months later we have 2 wonderful daughters.

After 2 years we're travelling again, this time to Edmonton, another City another job.

At last, 6 months ago we buy our first property over here.

It's been an 5 exciting years, lets hope the next 5 are more stable
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:40 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Years and has moved so fast

thats a lot to happen in that time. I hope you like it in Edmonton x
Old Apr 14th 2012, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF
5 years ago I arrived by myself in Toronto on a TWP and moved down to Waterloo to start my new job, 2 months later my wife and 2 dogs arrived.

Within 3 months we lost a dog (heatstroke), before the year was complete we lost the second (heart problems).

After 2 years we had PR and were driving across country to start a new life in Saskatoon, with a heavily pregnant wife (expecting twins). A few months later we have 2 wonderful daughters.

After 2 years we're travelling again, this time to Edmonton, another City another job.

At last, 6 months ago we buy our first property over here.

It's been an 5 exciting years, lets hope the next 5 are more stable
That's a very concise report, lol

Sorry about the dogs , happy about the new kids

Can you be more specific about the heatstroke incident please. I have a big hairy dog who's never really fealt natural heat (we're in Glasgow) so being prepared would be good.

Thanks,

Dave.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
That's a very concise report, lol

Sorry about the dogs , happy about the new kids

Can you be more specific about the heatstroke incident please. I have a big hairy dog who's never really fealt natural heat (we're in Glasgow) so being prepared would be good.

Thanks,

Dave.
The dog's were a pug and a doberman, the pug was the one we lost with heatstroke.

It was my fault really, didn't realise how hot it was and how it would effect him. We went for a walk one sunday on the outskirts of Waterloo, it was just over 30 degrees I think. The pug was struggling (a bit overweight), something he usually did in the UK too.

In the UK he had a habit of sitting down and then following as we waited for him, ending up with a lie down when we got back.

We had some water which we occasionally gave.

Thing was this was far hotter than the UK and I didn't realise how it was effecting him, when we got back to the car he couldn't walk properly, his back legs were all over the place. We gave him more water by the car and drove home.

When we got home I put him in the basement where it was cool with water expecting it to be like the UK and after half hour or so to be recovered.

But instead he still couldn't walk, we put him in cold water but no effect, after another 20 minutes he was dead.

I never knew what heatstroke looked like, if I had known the I could have probably have saved his life, maybe by picking him up during the walk and putting him in the cool stream in the shade when he started going 'funny'. I could have got him to a vet as my wife suggested (it was sunday, we didn't know where vets were etc, had no cause to go to one in our short time) and I was too convinced he would be OK in a minute or 2.

The extra heat and really dry air is a lot different to the UK, should have taken this into account.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so sorry you had to write all that and bring those memories back. I had a 3 year old dog die, so I know how heartbreaking it is.

But, if your story helps to prevent it from happening to someone else's dog, then it was worth it

Dave.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 6:41 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

oh that is awful, how terrible for you. Like D & A said though, if it helps someone else avoid it then its always worth sharing.

We have a dog now, and I shall be on the lookout for this kind of thing