40 years ago

Old Jan 16th 2018, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute
Default 40 years ago

Arrived in Toronto January 16, 1978 by way of New York.
Stayed one night at the Royal York and flew out to Calgary January 17 where it was -30 with the wind chill.
Spent a few months working in Red Deer and then moved to Edmonton.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 years ago

Where are you now?

I admire those who immigrate in the middle of winter. We arrived in August 2011 so had plenty of time to acclimatize. In fact our first winter was very gentle to us.

Happy Canniversary and wishing you many more to come.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Where are you now?

I admire those who immigrate in the middle of winter. We arrived in August 2011 so had plenty of time to acclimatize. In fact our first winter was very gentle to us.

Happy Canniversary and wishing you many more to come.
Still here in Edmonton.
The climate almost sent me back
I was almost ready to leave on the third day here but lack of funds precluded that. Not much chance of a recce back in those days.
Thanks for the kind wishes.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linotype
Still here in Edmonton.
The climate almost sent me back
I was almost ready to leave on the third day here but lack of funds precluded that. Not much chance of a recce back in those days.
Thanks for the kind wishes.
Congrats

I wonder if there's been any sort of research or something on people emigrating way back when compared to more recent times and one being more "successful" than the other, along with potential reasons.

On the one hand one could argue preparedness is a great advantage these days with access to all the information (although maybe nothing prepares you for 30 below ) while on the other hand there might be "yep, this is as bad/good as I feared/expected" and head home at the earliest opportunity if 'bad'
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Congrats

I wonder if there's been any sort of research or something on people emigrating way back when compared to more recent times and one being more "successful" than the other, along with potential reasons.

On the one hand one could argue preparedness is a great advantage these days with access to all the information (although maybe nothing prepares you for 30 below ) while on the other hand there might be "yep, this is as bad/good as I feared/expected" and head home at the earliest opportunity if 'bad'
Yes, access to information would be quite an advantage these days.

I my case I worked as a Compositor in the printing trade in London.

I applied to come to Canada as a Landed Immigrant in May of 1977.
I needed pre-arranged employment in Canada.
Employment opportunities were advertised on a job board in the Canadian High Commission in London.
Went through the usual medical/background checks.

Was successful with an application for a job in Red Deer and was issued with an immigration visa in December, 1977.
I started off in Edmonton on a salary of $20,000 a year in May of 1978 which was quite an increase from my UK job
and from my first year apprentice salary of £10 a week in 1970.

Seems to me that most items seemed cheaper in Canada back then.

I have not been back to the UK since 1995.
My wife just retired after 35 years as an economist with the Federal Government so its time for another trip.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Employment opportunities were advertised on a job board in the Canadian High Commission in London.

Was successful with an application for a job in Red Deer and was issued with an immigration visa in December, 1977.
I started off in Edmonton on a salary of $20,000 a year in May of 1978 which was quite an increase from my UK job

My wife just retired after 35 years as an economist with the Federal Government so its time for another trip.
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

I hope that this is the start of a very enjoyable retirement.

1995 > 2018 - you may notice a few changes.....

Last edited by GermanytoCanada; Jan 18th 2018 at 9:09 am. Reason: It isn't 2017 anymore...
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the share

You should do a post following your UK visit. It would be interesting to read what you think has changed in the time you've been away!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

I hope that this is the start of a very enjoyable retirement.

1995 > 2018 - you may notice a few changes.....
Thanks,

I expect I will.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Thanks for the share

You should do a post following your UK visit. It would be interesting to read what you think has changed in the time you've been away!
Thank you.