40 Years

Old Jul 16th 2021, 1:43 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 Years

Originally Posted by Souvy
I can't match 40 but I'm coming up for 21, unless you subtract the two years I've been AWOL.
Souvy Dahling! I missed you
Old Jul 16th 2021, 11:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought this place without visiting it. We were up against a midnight deadline for making an offer. We got my BIL and our son to visit. BIL built his own house and son is an electrician, so we were in good hands. They said it needed a lot of work but to go for it. So we offered full price, cash, and the bank went for it.

Souvette moved in as soon as we closed and I went back to Gatineau to sell our place there. A lot got done in the two months before I came up. All the big stuff has been done. New roof (about 45k), all new windows
Sounds similar in scale to the work here. I fetched the new windows from Jane and Finch in the Mustang with the top down and we replaced the roof shingles with metal (don't roof in Crocs!). Once the house was done we reformatted the garage to get rid of the post in the middle then added two barns and a riding arena. Next job is to replace the chicken coop and fencing. By then the house will need decorating again ...
Old Jul 17th 2021, 1:13 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sounds similar in scale to the work here. I fetched the new windows from Jane and Finch in the Mustang with the top down and we replaced the roof shingles with metal (don't roof in Crocs!). Once the house was done we reformatted the garage to get rid of the post in the middle then added two barns and a riding arena. Next job is to replace the chicken coop and fencing. By then the house will need decorating again ...
I didn't do the roof. It's about 90 feet long, at a 45 degree pitch and has six dormer windows in it, not to mention several vents and a huge granite chimney stack.

We looked into the cost of a metal roof and winced.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 10:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do the roof. It's about 90 feet long, at a 45 degree pitch and has six dormer windows in it, not to mention several vents and a huge granite chimney stack.

We looked into the cost of a metal roof and winced.
This is the second metal roof I've done, the cost of the materials is about the same has having someone shingle but it'll last forever. Lasting forever is great, of course, if you keep the house.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 12:24 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

This is the second metal roof I've done, the cost of the materials is about the same has having someone shingle but it'll last forever. Lasting forever is great, of course, if you keep the house.
Quite. I'm not building a monument to myself. I didn't see the point in spending maybe 80k on something that will last about 50 years longer than I'm going to. We went for high-end shingles that should see me out.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 3:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey. Souvy's back. Good to see!
Old Jul 21st 2021, 5:04 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey indeed! One or two old-timey folks have reared their heads in this thread!

To dbd - not sure whether congratulations on sticking it out or comiserations on having to stick it out are more apropos. I'm only at 15 years in, married to the same woman I came here with, no chickens cats or horses, so can't really compete on the numbers, but can lay claim to one very dense dog and one car without a lid.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 6:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
not sure whether congratulations on sticking it out or comiserations on having to stick it out are more apropos.
Me neither, thanks either way.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 1:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Made a reasonable job of it. Probably wouldn’t do it again.

By the numbers, some approximated:

40 - years resident
36 - years of citizenship
4 wives - Swiss, Newfie, American, Irish (no more than 2 concurrently)
3 children - two grew up and emigrated, one’s in Vancouver, all have the same mother
3 grandchildren - all in Vancouver, francophone, all have the same parents
1 - child, completely handicapped, non-verbal, aged out of government support in Canada, moved on
4 - cars, two convertibles
3 - horses
2 - dogs
2 - cats
10 - chickens
48 - States worked in
2 - employers in Canada, last one in 1985
1 - firings in Canada. Oddly, from the first employer, not the second

A few - Regrets

Lesson learned: the key to affluence is domestic stability
Crikey ! A true Canuck now. Enjoy the next 40 !

Maybe time to change the avatar from that guy (you told me once) to Gordon Lightfoot or someone.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

jackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond repute

You're handy and smart! Love it And have always loved your posts dbd33, you're an asset to this community and I guess, Canada!
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Maybe time to change the avatar...to Gordon Lightfoot or someone.
I've narrowed it down to Keanu Reeves or Tim Horton.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've narrowed it down to Keanu Reeves or Tim Horton.
Not even sure what Tim Horton looks like.
Gordie Howe is my second choice.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 7:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

If I'm to be likened in appearance to a Canadian icon, I choose Stompin' Tom.
Old Jul 23rd 2021, 12:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jackinthetree
You're handy and smart! Love it And have always loved your posts dbd33, you're an asset to this community and I guess, Canada!
Well thank you, that's all very kind.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 12:44 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, wow time flies !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.