Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4 year canniversary

4 year canniversary

Old Aug 7th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 year canniversary

This day 4 years ago I arrived in Red Deer with my other half, we got me settled into a flat and bought me a car. We had made connections with a realtor, who has become a very good friend, OH had contacted car dealerships before hand to arrange some test drives for me in cars I wanted.

I had three weeks to go before I could start work. I was going from a management / educational position in the NHS to a 'floor nurse' in ICU. A big change not only in the realms of clinical speciality differences but, cultural also.

OH had to go back to Scotland after one week, to sell the house and tie the loose ends there. We never imagined it would be 7 months later we would be together again permanently. We did have one week together in the October when he came to visit. Our daughter also came over for a week before I started work, so really I was too busy settling in and exploring my new environment and temporary home to think about being home sick.

I went back to the UK for our daughters wedding in the December 2009. We now have a very handsome grandson, who is nearly two years old and we Skype almost every day before I go to work.

OH came to join me permanently in March 2010, we bought a house in Sylvan Lake and were happy for a while, but we had decided before we came here that we would like an acreage.

Unfortunately both my parents have passed in the time I have been here, it is sad, but life goes on as they say- not to sound callous and uncaring. They were both ill as I left the UK. they are at peace now and in no pain.
Our son is still in Scotland, we are trying to convince him to come over, but he has his own life there. he does visit us.

We were both working, I applied and successfully landed a job as an Acute Care Manager in the speciality I had in the UK, so two and a half years to get to the level I left in the UK was, I think good going. I believe in taking the opportunity as it arises, sometimes there are no second chances!!

We received our Permanent Residency in 2012. As most of us on this forum know it is a hell of a rollercoaster ride to get this far.

We now have our acreage with a mountain view an adorable Great Pyrenese puppy named Bernie ( who incidently will be having a bridle and saddle rather than a new collar and lead soon )

We have made some good friends from various nationalities. Thank you to all our friends and to members of the forum who gave us good advice as we were beginning this new adventure in our lives.

I think it fair to say that we have made the right decision for us, just wished we had the courage to move here when our kids were younger.

next step citizenship
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Sunryder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4 year canniversary

Congratulations... you have certainly settled in nicely.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunryder
Congratulations... you have certainly settled in nicely.
Thank you
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

great story, and congrats on 4 years!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haggis88
great story, and congrats on 4 years!
Thank you Haggis
Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds all good as they say here. Congrats on your 4 years.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Missed this post first time around.

Congrats on the 4 years and glad everything has worked out well for you!

Your acreage is fab and your view of the mountains is stunning. Here's to many more cracking BBQs at yours
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations we are almost 4 years behind you we arrived in Red Deer in March this year and still experiencing the early stages, cultural shock etc. We to have children and grandchildren in the Uk, thank goodness for Skype and Face Time. ANIP approved in July and PR Application now submitted so the rollercoaster ride continues but it helps to read success stories like yours.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ookie123
Congratulations we are almost 4 years behind you we arrived in Red Deer in March this year and still experiencing the early stages, cultural shock etc. We to have children and grandchildren in the Uk, thank goodness for Skype and Face Time. ANIP approved in July and PR Application now submitted so the rollercoaster ride continues but it helps to read success stories like yours.
Hi Ookie,
thank you. The time has flown by. Are you coming to the Red deer meet up on Friday? Find the Red Deer FB page. Be good to meet you if you can make it.

Good luck with AINP etc

MJ