4 months Edmonton

Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

LondonUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 months Edmonton

So me and my wife have been here for 4 months now and are really enjoying Edmonton.

I got a job whilst I was still in UK after looking for a long time. Once we arrived we had a very stressful time trying to find a place get credit for a car and generally having to buy household essentials. Thank God for Find and Kijiji!!

After 2 months of coming home everyday to only find my wife watching sponge bob and square pants as she was having no luck in finding a job, she has now finally landed her perfect job with U of A.

I have now found that my employer was taking the Michael with my salary and have left to go to another company who are more professional. Sad that my employer was a English guy who was just a total cowboy a s well as the company. I finally feel relieved to be starting my work with a recognised company who are professional as supposed to coming home cursing the company I was working for.

We have now started to make friends and are now really enjoying it! Has been a great summer and now to embrace the winter to buy snowshoes
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:07 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 months Edmonton

Well done! Sounds like a bit of a rocky start, but you got over it! The first few months are mostly a bit of a trial...nothing seems familiar, but it'll start getting better now. I don't know why but it seems so much worse when ones fellow countrymen turn out to be rotters but it does. Stay happy....and good luck embracing the winter
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:15 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonUK

After 2 months of coming home everyday to only find my wife watching sponge bob and square pants as she was having no luck in finding a job, she has now finally landed her perfect job with U of A.

Good luck, it sounds as though you are now on the right track.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on landing another job mate,looks like you got here only a few weeks after myself.
I LOVE it over here,I hate cities in the UK,but actually like living in Edmonton.
Car salesmen tend to rip the piss when they hear an accent and try the upsell,upsell,upsell aproach.

I was lucky with my job,it pays good,plenty of overtime,and only a 5mn drive from home,unless I go via Tim Hortons lol.

I have found the people here to be so much friendlier,and helpful than back in the UK(night and day),one of the best friends that I have made here moved to Canada from East London back in the 80's.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:50 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
Well done on landing another job mate,looks like you got here only a few weeks after myself.
I LOVE it over here,I hate cities in the UK,but actually like living in Edmonton.
Car salesmen tend to rip the piss when they hear an accent and try the upsell,upsell,upsell aproach.

I was lucky with my job,it pays good,plenty of overtime,and only a 5mn drive from home,unless I go via Tim Hortons lol.

I have found the people here to be so much friendlier,and helpful than back in the UK(night and day),one of the best friends that I have made here moved to Canada from East London back in the 80's.
i liked living in Edmonton..not sure why it gets a bad rep on here?..i wouldn't say people are friendlier in Edmonton than the UK they just appear to be... but they are far more likely to throw you under the bus when the opportunity arrives be warned!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:44 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
I don't think accent has anything to do with it. They are CAR SALESMAN, FFS!