4 Months in BC!

Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 Months in BC!

My husband and I arrived on October 25th as PR from the beautiful Roman city of Bath.
We had organised to stay in a guest house we used during our landing and stayed there for 5 weeks whilst looking for somewhere to rent.
I am a nurse in the UK in Intensive Care but was 16 weeks pregnant on arrival so decided to put my career on hold for a year as the process of upgrading my skills is a long one but now aiming to sit SEC assessment in January 2014. I found a job in the 2nd week at a department store.....not challenging mentally but it get's me out the house and i work with some lovely ladies who want to look after me

My husband is an Electrician and got a job for a big firm within 5 weeks, and the healthcare benefits for both of us are brilliant, he is currently at college two evenings a week in preparation to write Red Seal in April.

Homesickness......well i think made worse by pregnancy hormones but we are pro-active people and don't let it get us down.....Skype is a god send!!

Buying a car......hate buying cars and also we didn't realise you get taxed on 2nd hand cars.....we found our CRV within two weeks and so far it's done us well.....touch wood!

Pregnancy in a new country.....No midwifes i have been on 3 waiting lists since september and no luck so was referred to OBGYN, so far the doctors i have met have all been very nice, i like being able to check my blood results online. Pregnancy with no friends is not the greatest but joined a online group and we have met several times for dinner and coffee so it's great to finally get know other pregnant momma's to be.

We have both found it hard not having any friends, have met up with a great british couple from here and hubby been boarding with some guys from work so were getting some friends now.

We just have to keep reminding ourselves it is different out here and to stop comparing to the UK, we are going to most definitely stay for two years and then assess the situation, although hubby doesn't want to go back! We have been on lovely day trips and love the fact that which ever way you drive an hour is somewhere we have never been before, the views are awesome and love the fact i see more Eagles than seagulls.

So far so good!!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:27 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 Months in BC!

Nice post, and good luck!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:01 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a lovely post, and what a super way to make friends. A growing bump and a baby will give you entrees into friendships that the rest of us can only dream of. Enjoy this special time, take it easy and very best wishes.

I love thinking about more eagles than seagulls!

Last edited by MillieF; Feb 26th 2013 at 10:01 am. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Having been pregnant whilst living abroad I can sympathise but be reassured that you'll make loads of friends in no time through mum & baby groups. Sounds like things are going well for you and your husband. We're moving over to Vancouver in June, so I love reading other people's Canniversary posts - thanks for sharing!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Great post hope all goes well.

I am also a electrician and plan to go in as a 4th year apprentice (just to get up to speed).
One day when we get our pr, we will be in your position and be able to post in this section.

PS hope the college is going well and he gets that pass he needs.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by graham and george
Great post hope all goes well.

I am also a electrician and plan to go in as a 4th year apprentice (just to get up to speed).
One day when we get our pr, we will be in your position and be able to post in this section.

PS hope the college is going well and he gets that pass he needs.
The money is nothing to be sniffed it's a good starting wage...... although will be even better in April haha!!

Thanks for the positive thoughts

Good Luck with your PR!!!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very lovely post, but also very odd...
Myself and my husband are also in Langley, I was a nurse in the UK and my husband an electrician! How eerie

It takes a while to settle in, how are you finding Langley?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebecca1986
This is a very lovely post, but also very odd...
Myself and my husband are also in Langley, I was a nurse in the UK and my husband an electrician! How eerie

It takes a while to settle in, how are you finding Langley?
Hahahaha this is funny because the british friend i have made is also a nurse and her hubby a sparky!!!

Maybe we should all meet up

Still early days but it's good.......langley has been a good, convinient place to start us off, cheap rent, i can walk to work at Willowbrook!!

How long have you been here??
Old Mar 1st 2013, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

rebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond reputerebecca1986 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
Hahahaha this is funny because the british friend i have made is also a nurse and her hubby a sparky!!!

Maybe we should all meet up

Still early days but it's good.......langley has been a good, convinient place to start us off, cheap rent, i can walk to work at Willowbrook!!

How long have you been here??
Very strange! I also work at Willowbrook. I think we're shadowing lives here...

We have been here just coming up to 2 years now, started off in Surrey before we moved to Langley and much prefer it out here. People often state that Langley is boring and lifeless with endless strip malls but we like it here. We live in Willoughby and we've never had any problems with crime, people have always been very friendly and I think it's a lovely place to raise a family. Like you said, rent is much cheaper and I'd rather have the space!

Midwives are very new here so maybe that's why you're having trouble finding one, I don't think there's many of them about but the health care system is very good here. Different, but good!

We should have a Langley meet up at some point, I'm sure there's ways everyone can help each other out. Did your husband find it easy to get work? My poor hubby's working unrelated to his field because he hasn't had any luck with a company who are willing to take him on without a Red Seal!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebecca1986
Very strange! I also work at Willowbrook. I think we're shadowing lives here...

We have been here just coming up to 2 years now, started off in Surrey before we moved to Langley and much prefer it out here. People often state that Langley is boring and lifeless with endless strip malls but we like it here. We live in Willoughby and we've never had any problems with crime, people have always been very friendly and I think it's a lovely place to raise a family. Like you said, rent is much cheaper and I'd rather have the space!

Midwives are very new here so maybe that's why you're having trouble finding one, I don't think there's many of them about but the health care system is very good here. Different, but good!

We should have a Langley meet up at some point, I'm sure there's ways everyone can help each other out. Did your husband find it easy to get work? My poor hubby's working unrelated to his field because he hasn't had any luck with a company who are willing to take him on without a Red Seal!
I have Pm'd you
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:10 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
My husband and I arrived on October 25th as PR from the beautiful Roman city of Bath.
We had organised to stay in a guest house we used during our landing and stayed there for 5 weeks whilst looking for somewhere to rent.
I am a nurse in the UK in Intensive Care but was 16 weeks pregnant on arrival so decided to put my career on hold for a year as the process of upgrading my skills is a long one but now aiming to sit SEC assessment in January 2014. I found a job in the 2nd week at a department store.....not challenging mentally but it get's me out the house and i work with some lovely ladies who want to look after me

My husband is an Electrician and got a job for a big firm within 5 weeks, and the healthcare benefits for both of us are brilliant, he is currently at college two evenings a week in preparation to write Red Seal in April.

Homesickness......well i think made worse by pregnancy hormones but we are pro-active people and don't let it get us down.....Skype is a god send!!

Buying a car......hate buying cars and also we didn't realise you get taxed on 2nd hand cars.....we found our CRV within two weeks and so far it's done us well.....touch wood!

Pregnancy in a new country.....No midwifes i have been on 3 waiting lists since september and no luck so was referred to OBGYN, so far the doctors i have met have all been very nice, i like being able to check my blood results online. Pregnancy with no friends is not the greatest but joined a online group and we have met several times for dinner and coffee so it's great to finally get know other pregnant momma's to be.

We have both found it hard not having any friends, have met up with a great british couple from here and hubby been boarding with some guys from work so were getting some friends now.

We just have to keep reminding ourselves it is different out here and to stop comparing to the UK, we are going to most definitely stay for two years and then assess the situation, although hubby doesn't want to go back! We have been on lovely day trips and love the fact that which ever way you drive an hour is somewhere we have never been before, the views are awesome and love the fact i see more Eagles than seagulls.

So far so good!!
Ah ha! Just seen this! Sounding good so far

I am in 100% agreement about the eagles too, just earlier today we were shooting some arrows in the back garden when one soared over head. We both stopped and said, how cool. Not only to have our own range but to have bald eagles flying by our house
Old Jan 26th 2014, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Haryandlouie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just wondered if you could give me some advice? My husband and I are moving to Vancouver as my husband has been offered a job there. We have already been over and looked at a few different areas as to where we should live. We really loved Langley but are not sure if this is too far out & if we should be looking at places more like cloverdale to help us make friends as it is a little less remote? We have 4yr old twin boys who have started school here in the uk last September but now I presume that they will have to go into a Kindergarten? - I was hoping to find somewhere that they would still focus on their education and not so much like a nursery as they are doing well at school and I am hoping that they won't have to take a backwards step??
We didn't have much time in Langley but visited the area of Tall Timber Estates which we loved or are looking for a nice home with a little land / big garden? Do you think there is any chance of rental properties coming up in the area or should we stick to the Surrey area? My husband works in construction and will mostly be working near Downtown. We were thinking of renting for a while until we settle in and then later buying a property. Sorry for all the questions! X
Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:51 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haryandlouie1
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just wondered if you could give me some advice? My husband and I are moving to Vancouver as my husband has been offered a job there. We have already been over and looked at a few different areas as to where we should live. We really loved Langley but are not sure if this is too far out & if we should be looking at places more like cloverdale to help us make friends as it is a little less remote? We have 4yr old twin boys who have started school here in the uk last September but now I presume that they will have to go into a Kindergarten? - I was hoping to find somewhere that they would still focus on their education and not so much like a nursery as they are doing well at school and I am hoping that they won't have to take a backwards step??
We didn't have much time in Langley but visited the area of Tall Timber Estates which we loved or are looking for a nice home with a little land / big garden? Do you think there is any chance of rental properties coming up in the area or should we stick to the Surrey area? My husband works in construction and will mostly be working near Downtown. We were thinking of renting for a while until we settle in and then later buying a property. Sorry for all the questions! X
Renting first is a very good idea. It is very difficult to tell where you would like to live before you get here and have time to explore. Kids start school in September after they turn five so this is not an issue at the moment.

Driving time to downtown Vancouver from eastern Langley will not be that different to Cloverdale if you use the Port Mann (toll) bridge, as long as you are reasonabley near to Hwy 1. Tall Timbers Estates are near enought to the highway.

You will be able to find rental properties. The best place to look is Craig's List. Use the Surrey, Delta and Langley tab and filter for rent, size, type etc. It will be a lot easier in Cloverdale/Surrey than in eastern Langley. Places like Tall Timbers Estates are where people buy "forever" homes. You might be lucky but there is not the transient population to make rentals worthwhile for a landlord.

Also, use Craig's List for research, but don't rent somewhere sight unseen. A few weeks in a vacation home or hotel suite is a very worthwhile investment.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Haryandlouie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely have a look at Craig's List and I think our first option would be to do a vacation rental like you say. Thanks for the great advice!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The rental market for single family homes is moving very quickly in Langley/Clayton/Cloverdale, Maple Ridge, Aldergrove and Abbotsford at the moment, especially in the nicer areas - good, newer houses go within hours of being advertised.

We have just this week secured a place in the Bradner area of West Abbotsford at Pepin Brook. That took a lot of effort and I missed at least six other houses.

Best time to look on Kijiji and Craigslist I find is around 5-8pm PST, when private landlords and some of the Realtors seem to list most of the properties, which means you might find you need some late nights if arranging from the UK...

We were a bit fussy - didn't want a neighbour in the basement or a single floor of a house - we've done that for 4 months in Kelowna and, well, getting woken by the sound of monkey sex at 3am isn't my idea of fun.

I am about to relocate from Kelowna to Langley. Also in construction, but will be based next to Golden Ears Bridge, so the commute down HW1 from west Abbotsford is about the same as sitting in a queue on 200th St in Langley from the south side. Also in my case handy for trips back to our Kelowna office, either by car or from Abbotsford airport.

$2000/mo gets you a bit more house out there too. As a rough guide, $2000 rent wherever you are gets a $550-$600k house.

Last edited by withabix; Jan 26th 2014 at 1:30 pm.