Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4.5 years on and bust.

4.5 years on and bust.

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:10 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4.5 years on and bust.

Originally Posted by helcat12
I have wondered that so many times after reading this thread and thinking about it.
You don't reckon that, this being the internet and all, perhaps this is only one side of the story?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I have to agree with everyone else who are saying women like your wife are selfish. Unfortunately, you may have to provide for her keep even after a divorce. your wife needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
Just buy/give her a house now....or wait as long as possible as property prices may fall....
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:56 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
You don't reckon that, this being the internet and all, perhaps this is only one side of the story?
Yes, I have wondered that, too.
Waiting for the wife/wives to respond!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:22 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Not really!
So far, I lost £30,000+, we packed our 4 bed house full of furniture and everything we could pack in a 20 ft container, only to re-ship everything back to the UK. It now sits in storage until I can get my house back which is on rent until July (the only mistake I didn't make was not selling the house, thank God).

To cut the long story short, my father passed away a few years back and Mum's sisters lived in Canada and they kept badgering us to move and be closer to them so they could look out for us. My parents were very well settled in london for the past 47-48 years.

Anyway, we went stayed with family a few weeks and we eventually got our own flat (on my cousin's advise), we were dumped in Brampton (the most dismal and depressing place in the GTA), the family basically did their disappearing act after they got all their gifts and tried to get us to buy stuff we didn't really need and also get as much money out of us. My mum couldn't be on her own during the day as she is not well (arthritic), so the plan was the 2 sisters (retired) would stay with mum whilst I met recruiters etc, once I was in the job, I would hire a part time carer. The recruiters had said I had a good chance of getting a job in the pharma industry because of my science background.

One sister disappeared to the US for 6 months and the other said she had to babysit an 18 year old and 16 year old grandchildren. My mum and I eventually got very depressed and homesick, we missed our true family and friends. Mum also got sick there and certain medicines did not suit her.We felt very isolated. Banking was so laborious, getting tenancy insurance was a pain and I ended up having to pay 2 months rent for an empty flat after I left for the UK as the new tenant's application had been declined by the management who owned my flat, on the day before i left, as I signed a 12 month contract with them

Basically, my main downfall was I was living in the wrong location with poor public transport links, and I didn't have a car so alot of money was spent on taxis. I was far from downtown, I should have got an apartment on a subway line as the jobs in my field were in mostly in downtown. Also, I couldn't cope on my own with an invalid Mother. She had a part time carer in London and she had a set routine, suddenly transporting her to a new country, new surroundings was not conducive to her well being plus she found Canada boring in the first place and she never really wanted to come, I sort of dragged her on the plane, I thought she'd be happy to be near family but they drove her potty and in turn Mum drove me insane.

In hindsight, I shoud have given it a year or two but my stress levels had gone over the threshold levels where I just couldn't cope and my Mum would say she wanted to go home almost every day. If I was on my own, I may have stayed the year or two.

But, thats life, but now I am thinking that this is a learning experience and if I didn't go and activate my PR status, I would have been wondering why and ' what if'. My family and friends in the UK thought that we were better off in the UK but said we had to go to Canada to get it out of our system. Now, they said they were glad we are back so its some consolation. If I do go back to Canada, I think I would plan it better and perhaps wait for a job offer first but I need to stay put for now.
more than one very stressful event compounding, my sincere sympathies - whilst the money is now gone, I agree on the 'what if' feeling. Not that it makes the financial impact any easier.

good luck when you get back into your house
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Bali2010,

When I got back recently, my physical health went down and my GP warned that my heart was being stressed to dangerous levels and I needed to get back to more important things in life like my health and to basically keep away from negative people ( relatives in Canada) and not have any contact for at least a year.

Thanks for your kind words. I just have to get over this ghastly last year behind me and try and move on and think positively. Its hard though living in temporary accomodation and trying not to think 'why and where did I go wrong. At least I am not living in a tent in a middle of a war zone, so I should be thankful. There are alot more people who have suffered alot more.

However, I still don't think bad of Canada, its a lovely country and the people on the whole are very nice and I do like Toronto. One just has to research properly and plan well and always have a back up plan if plan A doesn't work.
To those who want to move for the first time, if possible, don't even think about selling your house in the UK for at least 2 years unless you are absolutely sure that you are ok in Canada and its the place for you.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:25 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bali2010,

When I got back recently, my physical health went down and my GP warned that my heart was being stressed to dangerous levels and I needed to get back to more important things in life like my health and to basically keep away from negative people ( relatives in Canada) and not have any contact for at least a year.

Thanks for your kind words. I just have to get over this ghastly last year behind me and try and move on and think positively. Its hard though living in temporary accomodation and trying not to think 'why and where did I go wrong. At least I am not living in a tent in a middle of a war zone, so I should be thankful. There are alot more people who have suffered alot more.

However, I still don't think bad of Canada, its a lovely country and the people on the whole are very nice and I do like Toronto. One just has to research properly and plan well and always have a back up plan if plan A doesn't work.
To those who want to move for the first time, if possible, don't even think about selling your house in the UK for at least 2 years unless you are absolutely sure that you are ok in Canada and its the place for you.
It is very much to your credit that, despite your bad experiences you are not blaming Canada and taking it out on the country or the people.
It is also nice that you are offering some constructive advice to others who may follow you.

Many people never have the courage to do anything risky and stick to the long worn paths they know and are safe with. You tried it and it didn't work for you but you should give yourself credit for the attempt.
I hope there is some comfort for you in that.

Like you, I advise anyone looking to emigrate (or even just move within the UK for that matter) to be very wary indeed of being swayed by friends and relatives.

In the end, you should have enough reasons to go just for yourself and know that you can survive without their help. Being close to family should be an added benefit, not the main reason.
They can seem supportive but when you actually need to rely on them you might find that their support is not forthcoming.

It is possibly more scary to go somewhere there is no family or friends because then you know there isn't anyone there to rely on if things go wrong. Maybe that is more motivatation to do thorough research and prepare more fully, knowing that you are on your own.

I only know for us that having no-one here in Canada at all meant we had no safety net but what we ourselves had put in place and that certainly focused the mind.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Helcat 21,

Your kind post was very reassuring and true, many thanks. I cannot have an excuse to blame Canada really.I just thought I would share my experience and not let others be put off, one has to go and see the country for themselves as every set of circumstances and timescales for settling down are different for people.

The people in Canada that I first encountered and who I hardly knew were the best people I ever met, and many of them were either immigrants themselves or canadians of immigrant parents . They really kept me going through the misery and we did share some great times and good laughs. I do have some fond moments of my brief life in Toronto. They love the British accent out there and plus I am abit on the eccentric side.
I do have some sort of resentment towards family but I suppsed with time it will pass. When I came back, I thought I had failed as if I had failed a whole set of important exams and people would be laughing.

On a positive note, I have not completely ruled out ever returning Canada and do have my PR card and have quite a bit of time before it does expires, and by then, I really should know where I am heading.

Last edited by Maria_747; Jan 5th 2012 at 2:58 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:20 pm
Island life at last

Helcat 21,

plus I am abit on the eccentric side.
You're not alone there, lovey.

Maybe you will return to Canada on your own terms at some point and be happier for it.
Whatever, good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point

This is incredible to read - thanks for posting.

My husband, a City & Guilds certified electrician has only hit wall after wall since we moved here from the UK 2 years ago.

He's moving back on Friday, Jan 13th 2012, to live in a friends spare room. He is leaving me and our two small children here in Canada while he looks for work back there.

All we ever were told when we were planning to move here was that tradesmen were 'needed' in Canada (especially Alberta - although we moved to BC) and so far nobody has wanted him. Their loss I say, but that's the reality.

It's been so tough, and it is interesting to read your story. I'm sorry you went through all of this too... good for you in reclaiming your life. All the best.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:49 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Madge_MR

My husband, a City & Guilds certified electrician has only hit wall after wall since we moved here from the UK 2 years ago.

He's moving back on Friday, Jan 13th 2012, to live in a friends spare room. He is leaving me and our two small children here in Canada while he looks for work back there.

All we ever were told when we were planning to move here was that tradesmen were 'needed' in Canada (especially Alberta - although we moved to BC) and so far nobody has wanted him. Their loss I say, but that's the reality.

It's been so tough, and it is interesting to read your story. I'm sorry you went through all of this too... good for you in reclaiming your life. All the best.
So did you try going to Alberta?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you have had such a poor time of it - and though this may not be the best thread to discuss this, I am interested if you were both fully aware of any and all the hoops you may have been asked to jump through in order for your husband to find successful employment here? Were you prepared to prove his work history, etc. Just interested really.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately thats what many people think. But if you don't put the hours of networking and making friends in there - then its not going to happen.

I'll say it again Canada on the whole does not look at an immigrant and think "ooooooh thank god you got here we are so short of people"

Not unless its timmies or Mc D's anyway
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:28 pm
Island life at last

There may be an obvious answer to this, so please someone tell me if there is, but why would an electrician trained in an entirely different system be of any use?
A brick is a brick anywhere in the world and a piece of wood is a piece of wood and a crane is a crane, so I can see how builders and carpenters and crane drivers would be welcomed from other countries if they were in shortage, but he electrical system here isn't the same at all, so do they even recognise UK CG qualifications here?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
There may be an obvious answer to this, so please someone tell me if there is, but why would an electrician trained in an entirely different system be of any use?
A brick is a brick anywhere in the world and a piece of wood is a piece of wood and a crane is a crane, so I can see how builders and carpenters and crane drivers would be welcomed from other countries if they were in shortage, but he electrical system here isn't the same at all, so do they even recognise UK CG qualifications here?
I would imagine it's like most occupations, teaching for instance; they are similar, but done slighty differently. Someone trained in one system, with a little effort, could learn how to in another system.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:47 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would imagine it's like most occupations, teaching for instance; they are similar, but done slighty differently. Someone trained in one system, with a little effort, could learn how to in another system.
A kid is a kid anywhere in the world, too.
Maths is maths, Science, Geography, playtime, fallings-out, behaviour issues, parents - they are all the same wherever you are.

Electrical systems are not the same at all and electricians getting things wrong can kill people, which bad teaching cannot

Anyway, just wondered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.