Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4.5 years on and bust.

4.5 years on and bust.

Old Dec 29th 2011, 3:45 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4.5 years on and bust.

So the BUST bit is down to your dire financial situation in Canada, that was given a firm downward acceleration, by the OH not wanting to work, and is now back and haunting you in the UK.

Good luck pal

Hope this helps

http://www.eharmony.ca/?cid=64957&ai...480716851&mt=b
Old Dec 29th 2011, 4:06 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
As a married woman of quite some time who has always worked both prior to being married and throughout being married, I find the concept that a woman would either be reluctant to work, refuse to do so or downright have to be forced to do so when financial crisis hits quite extraordinary.

Marriage is supposed to be a partnership and if you have shared goals then you should surely both make efforts and sacrifices to achieve those goals.

Personally, I like to work for the satisfaction and freedom it gives me, but even if I loathed it I would want to do it to contribute to the financial stability and prosperity of my family and also to give support to my husband.

Being the only wage earner in a family with everything relying on you is a huge expectation and burden to place on someone and then to have to do that in a strange country in a new job is intolerable.

I cannot express how selfish I think both these women are and I am amazed that these women can expect to sit on their backsides and be provided for by their husbands when times and circumstances are so tough.

No offence to the men here but this behaviour makes me ashamed of women.

Agreed.
I had some time off work after having each of my 2 children but have worked pretty much constant since I was 16. Even working as a childminder so I was at home with my kids to earn the money is better than nothing.

Originally Posted by magnumpi
So the BUST bit is down to your dire financial situation in Canada, that was given a firm downward acceleration, by the OH not wanting to work, and is now back and haunting you in the UK.

Good luck pal

Hope this helps

http://www.eharmony.ca/?cid=64957&ai...480716851&mt=b

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 1st 2012 at 1:17 pm. Reason: fixing quotes :)
Old Dec 29th 2011, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgo
I must say even now that we are back in the UK I don't see any real sign of my wife making an effort to look for work. This is now a big worry as I have to find 12 grand for upfront rent payments by the end of March. If I don't manage this we will be evicted and have nowhere to live. I am very worried that she will just let this happen while I am working like crazy to earn the cash.

Its bad enough losing your home but now we are really heading for the rocks if she doesnt get a bloody job. I have two beautiful kids with this woman and they will suffer if she doesn't make every effort to contribute with hard cash.

I am feeling that a divorce is just around the corner.
I fear these have been your problems all along. Canada just either rubbed salt into the wound, or will speed things up for you.

Best wishes, whatever.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 1st 2012 at 1:18 pm. Reason: fixing quotes :)
Old Dec 29th 2011, 11:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

As a married woman of quite some time who has always worked both prior to being married and throughout being married, I find the concept that a woman would either be reluctant to work, refuse to do so or downright have to be forced to do so when financial crisis hits quite extraordinary.

Marriage is supposed to be a partnership and if you have shared goals then you should surely both make efforts and sacrifices to achieve those goals.

Personally, I like to work for the satisfaction and freedom it gives me, but even if I loathed it I would want to do it to contribute to the financial stability and prosperity of my family and also to give support to my husband.

Being the only wage earner in a family with everything relying on you is a huge expectation and burden to place on someone and then to have to do that in a strange country in a new job is intolerable.

I cannot express how selfish I think both these women are and I am amazed that these women can expect to sit on their backsides and be provided for by their husbands when times and circumstances are so tough.

Oh. My ex didn't work outside the home and doesn't now. That was because we had children.
Old Dec 30th 2011, 5:06 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh. My ex didn't work outside the home and doesn't now. That was because we had children.
That is still a partnership, isn't it?
Being at home as a mother to children is contributing to the family.
I have no problem at all with women who stay at home by choice when it is possible financially.
BUT I am sure if you had hit financial dire straits your OH would have pitched in to earn some money, even if it was just part time.

It just seems clear from reading the posts of the men involved that these two have been refusing to work even when they know that there are financial difficulties and leaving all the responsibility for the financial wellbeing to the men.
If times are tough you both have to make some compromises, don't you?
Old Dec 31st 2011, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

That is still a partnership, isn't it?
Being at home as a mother to children is contributing to the family.
I have no problem at all with women who stay at home by choice when it is possible financially.
BUT I am sure if you had hit financial dire straits your OH would have pitched in to earn some money, even if it was just part time.

It just seems clear from reading the posts of the men involved that these two have been refusing to work even when they know that there are financial difficulties and leaving all the responsibility for the financial wellbeing to the men.
If times are tough you both have to make some compromises, don't you?
Try telling that to family law court judges!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Can't imagine not pulling my weight financially!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 1st 2012 at 1:19 pm. Reason: fixing quotes :)
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgo
I am feeling that a divorce is just around the corner.
I have to agree with everyone else who are saying women like your wife are selfish. Unfortunately, you may have to provide for her keep even after a divorce. your wife needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

why did'nt the wife want to work when you was out of work?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Snowjo,

That is one extrordinary story. I feel for you and your kids.
It makes me feel a little better that its not the end of the world if one can't settle in Canada and moves back into the UK. I waited 3 1/2 years for my PR card and high lawyers fees and we didn't even last a year. I was initially very upset when I came back.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:28 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchy100
why did'nt the wife want to work when you was out of work?
I have wondered that so many times after reading this thread and thinking about it.

I just cannot understand how anyone could sit there and watch their partner work themselves to the bone and shoulder all the stress and worry and continue to ignore it.

Household chores can be shared if you both work - we have always done so Hoovering and washing up (while necessary and worthy) doesn't pay the bills!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I just cannot understand how anyone could sit there and watch their partner work themselves to the bone and shoulder all the stress and worry and continue to ignore it.
Kids won't thank the parent who is never at home, busy working and putting in as many hours as possible to pay the bills, the food and their school fees, while the other parent is at home.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

I have wondered that so many times after reading this thread and thinking about it.

Household chores can be shared if you both work - we have always done so Hoovering and washing up (while necessary and worthy) doesn't pay the bills!
I just can't get over this, i moved back to the UK in Oct while my PR was been done after living in Canada and not working due to been a vistor and we was broke so i did what needed to be done, she has a great job in Canada and when i get there il work washing dishes if i have to to earn money (even though i did my gas fitting stuff in BC)
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maria_747
we didn't even last a year. I was initially very upset when I came back.
Your story must be equally tragic to have thrown in the towel in less than a year as some would say to give it at least 2 years before making a decision. I hope everything has worked out ok for you.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
Your story must be equally tragic to have thrown in the towel in less than a year as some would say to give it at least 2 years before making a decision. I hope everything has worked out ok for you.
Not really!
So far, I lost £30,000+, we packed our 4 bed house full of furniture and everything we could pack in a 20 ft container, only to re-ship everything back to the UK. It now sits in storage until I can get my house back which is on rent until July (the only mistake I didn't make was not selling the house, thank God).

To cut the long story short, my father passed away a few years back and Mum's sisters lived in Canada and they kept badgering us to move and be closer to them so they could look out for us. My parents were very well settled in london for the past 47-48 years.

Anyway, we went stayed with family a few weeks and we eventually got our own flat (on my cousin's advise), we were dumped in Brampton (the most dismal and depressing place in the GTA), the family basically did their disappearing act after they got all their gifts and tried to get us to buy stuff we didn't really need and also get as much money out of us. My mum couldn't be on her own during the day as she is not well (arthritic), so the plan was the 2 sisters (retired) would stay with mum whilst I met recruiters etc, once I was in the job, I would hire a part time carer. The recruiters had said I had a good chance of getting a job in the pharma industry because of my science background.

One sister disappeared to the US for 6 months and the other said she had to babysit an 18 year old and 16 year old grandchildren. My mum and I eventually got very depressed and homesick, we missed our true family and friends. Mum also got sick there and certain medicines did not suit her.We felt very isolated. Banking was so laborious, getting tenancy insurance was a pain and I ended up having to pay 2 months rent for an empty flat after I left for the UK as the new tenant's application had been declined by the management who owned my flat, on the day before i left, as I signed a 12 month contract with them

Basically, my main downfall was I was living in the wrong location with poor public transport links, and I didn't have a car so alot of money was spent on taxis. I was far from downtown, I should have got an apartment on a subway line as the jobs in my field were in mostly in downtown. Also, I couldn't cope on my own with an invalid Mother. She had a part time carer in London and she had a set routine, suddenly transporting her to a new country, new surroundings was not conducive to her well being plus she found Canada boring in the first place and she never really wanted to come, I sort of dragged her on the plane, I thought she'd be happy to be near family but they drove her potty and in turn Mum drove me insane.

In hindsight, I shoud have given it a year or two but my stress levels had gone over the threshold levels where I just couldn't cope and my Mum would say she wanted to go home almost every day. If I was on my own, I may have stayed the year or two.

But, thats life, but now I am thinking that this is a learning experience and if I didn't go and activate my PR status, I would have been wondering why and ' what if'. My family and friends in the UK thought that we were better off in the UK but said we had to go to Canada to get it out of our system. Now, they said they were glad we are back so its some consolation. If I do go back to Canada, I think I would plan it better and perhaps wait for a job offer first but I need to stay put for now.

Last edited by Maria_747; Jan 3rd 2012 at 12:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.