Reload this Page >

4.5 years on and bust.

4.5 years on and bust.

Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4.5 years on and bust.

Hello all,

Here is a true tale of one family that took the plunge.

We moved out to alberta summer 2007. The company i was to be working for on arrival had failed to get the paperwork in place! They told me that they had done so!! The immigration officer stopped us in our tracks. At this point the penny dropped , we could be sent back to the UK on the next flight. (Which would have saved us a fortune.)

After a couple of calls by the officer to the prospective employer I was granted a Temp Work Visa 3 months accross the counter. Apparently this never happens!

Cut a looong story short. That company after six months failed to meet its own governments requirements for me to work for them. My temp visa had expired, I was on implied status which is one of the most degrading unsecure catagories i have ever had the unfortunate misfortune of being in. Still happy in your work???? I was basicall not being paid enough by the employer. And do you think he would put the hourly rate up to $25 from $20 no sir.

I actually offered to give him the cash to up the numbers for the application to continue. He refused as it was not ethical. The company name is KANAS Corp. Be warned!!

So unable to continue with my PR application with this company i removed myself from his employ.

4 months later i found another employer. Bearing in mind that i was not allowed to work at all without a permit!! I was now unemployed and not allowed to work for just anybody and i was on implied status with a family in tow.
The company I scorced had pre approved status. Great. Within another month I was back at work. Special Projects Superintendent $34 per hour plus a few perks. That lasted the rest of the period i needed for PR. The company(PCL) laid off 500 immigrant workers 2 weeks before Christmas of 2008. They lost contracts to competition and(Coram, the labour supplier) folded. They actually lost contracts fairly early on and my position was axed. I was now working as a carpenter on downtowm 40 level tower blocks in sub zero temps of around 15 - 20 below.
I was at this point writing myself positive notes confirming that this is a temp situation and that the money we have lost whilst bridging the situation will come back to us when things pick up. I was told tradesmen were in high demand. Work hard and you will earn well. What a load of crap. And i fell for it. Start a new life in a great country. I had visions of well nothing like the harsh reality of unemployment and high living costs not to mention 33% taxes. Bad timing, high property prices and restrictions at every corner.

After our PR came through I was extatic. I can hardly believe it PR at last 18 months from point of application. Its tough when the authorities will not up date or even have a conversation with you in relation to your application. Your useless Canadian employer or one of his sleepy staff who dont give a shit are the prefered people to whom they communicate. I sold my home, BIG MISTAKE and put everythig i had into this life changing move and they the government will not even SPEAK to you. My advise would be go with some cash and rent. if the job you are in is not leaving you with cash in your pocket at the end of the month GET OUT while you can. before you get sucked into to system.

The recession really had a grip i could not find decent work for love of trying.
Self employment seemed to be the only answer. Ok Reno here we come.

After 3 years of working as self employed with long no work periods during winter we decided to call it a day before we loose the house totally.

So on arrival we had enough cash to buy a home paid in full GREAT. One income was not enough to keep a family of four. My wife is a home maker that was the deal when we married. Touchey ground when the chips are down . Anyhow after settling in we had to arrange a line of credit. DEADLEY!!

From this we subsidised our living life style. We were sure that after we had PR and restrictions were lifted we would be able to get back on the gravey train. WRONG!!!

As the recession deepened and the expences continued to rise. Car,truck breakdowns , general family costs. Nothing extravagent, just the usual living costs. Our line of credit year over year was rising to our detriment.

At one stage i even decided to quit the construction industry and get into oil and gas. For over one year i sent resumes out to companies in the oil fields. Fort mac etc. I advertized in Kajiji , I offered $1000 cash to anyone that could line me up with a job on a rig as a hand. The lowest paid / labour job. I wasnt afraid to my hands dirty and start a new career at 43!! Not one reply.

Now i was feeling very isolated. In the UK i had a good income. Not fantastic but ok i could pay my way. In Canada I had become this unemployable unexperienced unwanted or needed immigrant worker.

I even placed myself at my expence yet again, in Ft Mac Alberta. This is the second largest oil reserve on the planet so im told. Sure I was determined to get a job. This is the wild west town where prospectors have been coming for years. I had a job within 3 days. None of my management skills were required though. Some carpentry and able to use a shovel $40 per hour. This was the final nail in the coffin for me. 27 years exp in construction. Trade qualified , College Diploma and some uni and i find myself working with a rasta from Toronto , a fisherman from PEI and a twat of foreman from Newfoundland who thought the way to the top was to tell on you several times a day. Needles to say this couldnt go on dispite my really desperate situation.

I returned to to UK in July and left my family behind in calgary. I was actually let down by the company that offered me work in London as they lost the contract to another. Fortunatly i picked up a good job for the summer. It was by no means easy coming back. I was sleeping on floors to start with, then into camden betsit land. Finally into a room which was clean and private. From their i organized the move back to the UK for my family.

To conclude:

I used to own a home in the UK then in Canada. Now i do not. My rent is two grand a month. I have to pay 6 months in advance. I have to raise twelve grand within 4 months to satisfy the landlord that we can pay for the year!! 25 grand a year rent plus bills etc.

Anyone thinking of moving to canada for a better life?
Speak to me first for the real low down on what its like in Alberta.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4.5 years on and bust.

What a sad story.

I am sorry that Canada didn't work out for you. Really sorry.

I'm not sure what else to say?

Take care x
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

interesting post
I understand from your post things were hard at times in Canada, do you think the situation will improve now your back in the UK having to find £2k a month for rent alone plus having to pay 6 months in advance. I'd say the UK economy back 2007 especially in regard to construction when you originally left the UK was in a better shape than it is now may be I could be wrong.
I hope things really do start to turn a corner for you
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

That's one hell of a story. Thanks for sharing it. How do you feel now? Angry, Bitter?
One thing I don't understand though is how you were expecting to get into the country. Was your paperwork wrong or incomplete? Were you misinformed about what was required to get you through immigration?

Actually I re-read your post. You're basically saying the company sponsoring you lied right? I don't know much about getting in through sponsorship. I had landed immigrant status and had a big A2 sized official document sent to me by immigration prior to my departure.

I know it was only part of your problems but more or less, everything went wrong from that point onwards.

Last edited by Tony-the-Tigger; Dec 21st 2011 at 12:56 pm. Reason: Re-read post.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

huddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowgo
Hello all,

Here is a true tale of one family that took the plunge.

We moved out to alberta summer 2007. The company i was to be working for on arrival had failed to get the paperwork in place! They told me that they had done so!! The immigration officer stopped us in our tracks. At this point the penny dropped , we could be sent back to the UK on the next flight. (Which would have saved us a fortune.)

After a couple of calls by the officer to the prospective employer I was granted a Temp Work Visa 3 months accross the counter. Apparently this never happens!

Cut a looong story short. That company after six months failed to meet its own governments requirements for me to work for them. My temp visa had expired, I was on implied status which is one of the most degrading unsecure catagories i have ever had the unfortunate misfortune of being in. Still happy in your work???? I was basicall not being paid enough by the employer. And do you think he would put the hourly rate up to $25 from $20 no sir.

I actually offered to give him the cash to up the numbers for the application to continue. He refused as it was not ethical. The company name is KANAS Corp. Be warned!!

So unable to continue with my PR application with this company i removed myself from his employ.

4 months later i found another employer. Bearing in mind that i was not allowed to work at all without a permit!! I was now unemployed and not allowed to work for just anybody and i was on implied status with a family in tow.
The company I scorced had pre approved status. Great. Within another month I was back at work. Special Projects Superintendent $34 per hour plus a few perks. That lasted the rest of the period i needed for PR. The company(PCL) laid off 500 immigrant workers 2 weeks before Christmas of 2008. They lost contracts to competition and(Coram, the labour supplier) folded. They actually lost contracts fairly early on and my position was axed. I was now working as a carpenter on downtowm 40 level tower blocks in sub zero temps of around 15 - 20 below.
I was at this point writing myself positive notes confirming that this is a temp situation and that the money we have lost whilst bridging the situation will come back to us when things pick up. I was told tradesmen were in high demand. Work hard and you will earn well. What a load of crap. And i fell for it. Start a new life in a great country. I had visions of well nothing like the harsh reality of unemployment and high living costs not to mention 33% taxes. Bad timing, high property prices and restrictions at every corner.

After our PR came through I was extatic. I can hardly believe it PR at last 18 months from point of application. Its tough when the authorities will not up date or even have a conversation with you in relation to your application. Your useless Canadian employer or one of his sleepy staff who dont give a shit are the prefered people to whom they communicate. I sold my home, BIG MISTAKE and put everythig i had into this life changing move and they the government will not even SPEAK to you. My advise would be go with some cash and rent. if the job you are in is not leaving you with cash in your pocket at the end of the month GET OUT while you can. before you get sucked into to system.

The recession really had a grip i could not find decent work for love of trying.
Self employment seemed to be the only answer. Ok Reno here we come.

After 3 years of working as self employed with long no work periods during winter we decided to call it a day before we loose the house totally.

So on arrival we had enough cash to buy a home paid in full GREAT. One income was not enough to keep a family of four. My wife is a home maker that was the deal when we married. Touchey ground when the chips are down . Anyhow after settling in we had to arrange a line of credit. DEADLEY!!

From this we subsidised our living life style. We were sure that after we had PR and restrictions were lifted we would be able to get back on the gravey train. WRONG!!!

As the recession deepened and the expences continued to rise. Car,truck breakdowns , general family costs. Nothing extravagent, just the usual living costs. Our line of credit year over year was rising to our detriment.

At one stage i even decided to quit the construction industry and get into oil and gas. For over one year i sent resumes out to companies in the oil fields. Fort mac etc. I advertized in Kajiji , I offered $1000 cash to anyone that could line me up with a job on a rig as a hand. The lowest paid / labour job. I wasnt afraid to my hands dirty and start a new career at 43!! Not one reply.

Now i was feeling very isolated. In the UK i had a good income. Not fantastic but ok i could pay my way. In Canada I had become this unemployable unexperienced unwanted or needed immigrant worker.

I even placed myself at my expence yet again, in Ft Mac Alberta. This is the second largest oil reserve on the planet so im told. Sure I was determined to get a job. This is the wild west town where prospectors have been coming for years. I had a job within 3 days. None of my management skills were required though. Some carpentry and able to use a shovel $40 per hour. This was the final nail in the coffin for me. 27 years exp in construction. Trade qualified , College Diploma and some uni and i find myself working with a rasta from Toronto , a fisherman from PEI and a twat of foreman from Newfoundland who thought the way to the top was to tell on you several times a day. Needles to say this couldnt go on dispite my really desperate situation.

I returned to to UK in July and left my family behind in calgary. I was actually let down by the company that offered me work in London as they lost the contract to another. Fortunatly i picked up a good job for the summer. It was by no means easy coming back. I was sleeping on floors to start with, then into camden betsit land. Finally into a room which was clean and private. From their i organized the move back to the UK for my family.

To conclude:

I used to own a home in the UK then in Canada. Now i do not. My rent is two grand a month. I have to pay 6 months in advance. I have to raise twelve grand within 4 months to satisfy the landlord that we can pay for the year!! 25 grand a year rent plus bills etc.

Anyone thinking of moving to canada for a better life?
Speak to me first for the real low down on what its like in Alberta.
OMG - just read this post and really feel for your family and you.

We too arrived in Canada five years ago after trying for ten years to come to Canada. Luckily Oh had a pre arranged job and still has that job today. Also I like your wife prefer to be a homemaker and have had to change my plans now and work full time. reason being we cannot financially manage on one wage.

Looking back on our experience I would say our standard of living is lower in canada now than back in the UK in 2007. Unbelievably we actually thought back in the UK in 2007 we were quite hard done by! By this I mean we coulnd't afford a foreign holiday and a bigger house in a nicer area.

Now we do have the bigger house granted but every month the bills are a struggle to pay and every dollar counts. It is certainly stressful. Stress already loaded onto maintaining a family life whilst both parents out at work doing long hours full time.

But anyway we only have ourselves to blame. My advice to anyone wanting this 'dream life' is to really over estimate the amount it will cost in the long run.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

What an awful ordeal for you and your family. I admire the different methods you tried and the determination that you put into it. I guess it was time to cut your losses.

Hopefully things will improve for you now and best wishes for a better 2012.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by huddersfieldlass
OMG - just read this post and really feel for your family and you.

We too arrived in Canada five years ago after trying for ten years to come to Canada. Luckily Oh had a pre arranged job and still has that job today. Also I like your wife prefer to be a homemaker and have had to change my plans now and work full time. reason being we cannot financially manage on one wage.

Looking back on our experience I would say our standard of living is lower in canada now than back in the UK in 2007. Unbelievably we actually thought back in the UK in 2007 we were quite hard done by! By this I mean we coulnd't afford a foreign holiday and a bigger house in a nicer area.

Now we do have the bigger house granted but every month the bills are a struggle to pay and every dollar counts. It is certainly stressful. Stress already loaded onto maintaining a family life whilst both parents out at work doing long hours full time.

But anyway we only have ourselves to blame. My advice to anyone wanting this 'dream life' is to really over estimate the amount it will cost in the long run.
If time s are going to be hard i would rather be on home ground with the problems. We left the country with the canadian government owing us in excess of ten grand in child credit. Could we get it out of them ? No way. They kept stalling time and time again.They ask for the same information time and time again. they wanted us to prove the kids were living with us????. No unemploymet benefit when you really need it . Just a matter of time before the bank steps in and auctions your home for way less than we paid for it. Then we get lumbered with a debt to the bank and dont have a home !! No thanks> Now we dont own a home but nor do we owe anybodt a dime. We got out of canada with 40 grand cash to start a new life back in the UK. Thinking back we had a pretty good life. We moved mainly for the kids , so they could have more chances in a new country. Personally i think the school system in Calgary/ okotoks is sub standard. Not to mention the drinking and drug problem that canadians seem to not want to recognise.

The status quo must be sustained at all costs, even their own offspring.
I found Canadians to be a weird breed. Very conservative, nationalist, turn coats. We had our neighbor call the cops due to our dog pooping in our garden. Two poops. WTF!! yet i found out that the guy had been hitting on a friends wife that was into some pretty dark sex practices. These neighbors are school teachers. Just odd. The perfect canadian family. Their kids were into self mutilation. F**ed up. Highly conservative . Hey but you can watch some pretty screwed up adult shows on SHAW when you settle down for the night. I found most people to be just false with lots of personal problems.

Boring ,boring ,boring.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: 4.5 years on and bust.

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
What a sad story.

I am sorry that Canada didn't work out for you. Really sorry.

I'm not sure what else to say?

Take care x
On the upside, i will never attempt an effort such as this again unless it is being covered by a company which has given me a long term contract. I will never wonder what it would have been like to do this. I have done it and got the Tshirt. Canada is a wonderful place. For a holiday. The kids had a great time! Memories for life. Priceless.

We took a chance. That is what life is all about. I took a chance before to enable us to get to the point where we had a choice to make a move.

Older and wiser. Ready to implement plan B.

Not bitter or angry. Enlightened.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:15 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snowgo
If time s are going to be hard i would rather be on home ground with the problems. We left the country with the canadian government owing us in excess of ten grand in child credit. Could we get it out of them ? No way. They kept stalling time and time again.They ask for the same information time and time again. they wanted us to prove the kids were living with us????. No unemploymet benefit when you really need it . Just a matter of time before the bank steps in and auctions your home for way less than we paid for it. Then we get lumbered with a debt to the bank and dont have a home !! No thanks> Now we dont own a home but nor do we owe anybodt a dime. We got out of canada with 40 grand cash to start a new life back in the UK. Thinking back we had a pretty good life. We moved mainly for the kids , so they could have more chances in a new country. Personally i think the school system in Calgary/ okotoks is sub standard. Not to mention the drinking and drug problem that canadians seem to not want to recognise.

The status quo must be sustained at all costs, even their own offspring.
I found Canadians to be a weird breed. Very conservative, nationalist, turn coats. We had our neighbor call the cops due to our dog pooping in our garden. Two poops. WTF!! yet i found out that the guy had been hitting on a friends wife that was into some pretty dark sex practices. These neighbors are school teachers. Just odd. The perfect canadian family. Their kids were into self mutilation. F**ed up. Highly conservative . Hey but you can watch some pretty screwed up adult shows on SHAW when you settle down for the night. I found most people to be just false with lots of personal problems.

Boring ,boring ,boring.
Just want to wish you all the luck in the world, and hopefully you can put it all behind you now and move on. Quite a few points you made resonate with us, sometimes we think is it just us seeing these issues or do the Canadians just want to brush it all under the carpet. I suppose the British wear their problems on their sleeves for everyone to see, with the help of the media!?! and don't hide it away and hope no one finds out. Good luck and hope you have a good Christmas and an even better 2012.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Just want to wish you all the luck in the world, and hopefully you can put it all behind you now and move on. Quite a few points you made resonate with us, sometimes we think is it just us seeing these issues or do the Canadians just want to brush it all under the carpet. I suppose the British wear their problems on their sleeves for everyone to see, with the help of the media!?! and don't hide it away and hope no one finds out. Good luck and hope you have a good Christmas and an even better 2012.
I guess its all about bums on seats.
Create a great picture for the masses to view. Canada the place to be.

The government pic us off in a military style. Do they have money? How much? Do they own property? Do they have children? if so potential taxes over x amount of years etc.
They keep you waiting till they are ready to honour you with a resident status then you must wait another two or more years before you can become canadian.

Its all a bit of a red herring really. Lets face it without immigrants canada would be a waste land. why does it cost so much for a house with a postage stamp for a garden when all i can see is trees or open land for as far as the eye can see.

The natives have the rite idea. They were cheated i know by the invading outsiders and are to this day. But they get money from the government, they have space to live all be it on reserves. They have some element of freedom. Perhaps im wrong but . I feel as if the government are just ripping all of us trail blazing immigrants off by inviting us with one hand and screwing us with the other as they have done to the natives for years.

I didnt feel like this when i was living there. You get sucked into the community and just pay pay pay. An engineered vortex.

Dont get sucked in. If you do get the hell out before you get spat out the other end.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Optimistic Pessimist
What an awful ordeal for you and your family. I admire the different methods you tried and the determination that you put into it. I guess it was time to cut your losses.

Hopefully things will improve for you now and best wishes for a better 2012.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to be back in the UK. Feels so much safer here.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Thanks and all the best to you.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scotjames
interesting post
I understand from your post things were hard at times in Canada, do you think the situation will improve now your back in the UK having to find £2k a month for rent alone plus having to pay 6 months in advance. I'd say the UK economy back 2007 especially in regard to construction when you originally left the UK was in a better shape than it is now may be I could be wrong.
I hope things really do start to turn a corner for you
"Where would we be without turning corners"
S.Crowe , Carpenter and Father.2011
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So you purchased a house without requiring a mortgage (an inference I have drawn from your first post); hit hard times and over extend yourself with your line of credit (which, I assume, was secured against the property); fail to make the necessary payments and the bank either forecloses or threatens to, and this is the Government's fault? Could you explain that one to me please.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So you purchased a house without requiring a mortgage (an inference I have drawn from your first post); hit hard times and over extend yourself with your line of credit (which, I assume, was secured against the property); fail to make the necessary payments and the bank either forecloses or threatens to, and this is the Government's fault? Could you explain that one to me please.
Direct fault of the government, not at all. My fault for taking such a high risk in moving there in the first place. Over extend , not really. No flash holidays or other self indulgent activities.

Periods of unemployment where all bills still have to be met regardless. Medical and dental bills over four years. Two serious car repairs due to engine failure.Advertising and business set up , running costs.

We had no threat from the bank nor did we miss any repayments. I could however see that we could not last another six months on the course we were on. I had to leave for the UK and support my family and myself from london. Which i was able to do. It took me a MONTH to tap into old contacts and get back to work. Years of trying way harder in canada proved fruitless at every turn. Do you have a success story for me ? Id love to hear one.

I worked in Germany during the last resession, worked my ass off. Every mark i made i saved. I was able to buy a bust up cottage in Wales with the fruit of my labour. 12 years later and after much renovation and hard work it was worh a pretty penny. That is what got us to canada. Not a hand out of any sort. I know the value of a pound in sweat and toil. Hard working , skilled people are not needed in canada. They want a robotic, cheap work force to build the countries inferstructure. Managed by canadians.

I believe its a fact that the government offers a great place to trade and develop a business. The truth is that they dont really have it yet. But the more folks that bring a positive balance sheet with them sure does help the cause. Who knows perhaps one day canada will be a great place to go to with your family and start a business that will support you and even produce profits. Currently it is not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.