Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4.5 years on and bust.

4.5 years on and bust.

Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4.5 years on and bust.

Originally Posted by Maria_747
Thanks Bali2010,

When I got back recently, my physical health went down and my GP warned that my heart was being stressed to dangerous levels and I needed to get back to more important things in life like my health and to basically keep away from negative people ( relatives in Canada) and not have any contact for at least a year.

Thanks for your kind words. I just have to get over this ghastly last year behind me and try and move on and think positively. Its hard though living in temporary accomodation and trying not to think 'why and where did I go wrong. At least I am not living in a tent in a middle of a war zone, so I should be thankful. There are alot more people who have suffered alot more.

However, I still don't think bad of Canada, its a lovely country and the people on the whole are very nice and I do like Toronto. One just has to research properly and plan well and always have a back up plan if plan A doesn't work.
To those who want to move for the first time, if possible, don't even think about selling your house in the UK for at least 2 years unless you are absolutely sure that you are ok in Canada and its the place for you.
very sound advice re renting out the house- we wish we had done so!!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madge_MR
Well, from an electrician's perspective, everything is different. Hard to describe without going into technical detail.

He has over 20 years of experience in the UK as a site supervisor to testing, inspection and certification professional. He has done industrial, residential and government contract work. Seriously, you couldn't ask for someone who knows more about electricity, and yet coming here has been like learning a new language.

Some people really adapt well to change, others resist it and eventually accept it, while still others resent it.

As for coming to Victoria BC, yep we dropped one, but it was where my family live and so we felt it was the most logical place to plant our feet.

Too bad we only really had one shot, with our finances. So it's back to England we go. Hi-ho hi-ho..
I'm an Electrician in Jersey hoping to move to Calgary at the end of this year.

I know lots of Electricians who are retiring or trying other things here or back to England as they just can't keep up with the changing technology.

People no longer want just lighting, power a phone and tv point in each room but distributed HDMI, IPTV, home networks, intelligent lighting (lutron, rako) etc.

It's so easy to get set in your ways and only know what you know and if you can't get your head in to all this stuff at home, i'm sure it would be worse with the different regs and terminology.

I have had a look through the Canadian regs and just like the UK regs there all based on common sense principals and safety and i'm quite excited to get stuck in and use my brain again to hopefully become certified in Canada. I have also taken various computer courses though to diversify my resume, as i don't just want to be limited to doing one thing but if i had to i'd be happy to make beds or wait tables until something substantial comes up.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clay
You should really read up on the UK rental market before posting no way do you pay 6 month up front, and unless your wanting to live in a good London area.. or a mansion elsewere would you pay 2k per month rent...
I guess you have not had the misfortune to have been in a situation similar to mine. Out of the country for 3 years and you return as a Mr Nobody!!
Insurance , credit ratings , and kind of previous worthy history is wiped.

Its real and its happening to those who are moving around. High rents are concentrated near GOOD SCHOOLS. We could have taken a small house but it would be in the catchment area of a not so good school. Higher rentals are always available near to good schools . all the more economic options are gone .Unless you can wait for a rental to come up and keep the kids at home in the mean time. You have to go through it to understand how it really is.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DJR005
"My wife is a home maker that was the deal when we married"

I feel sorry for you mate, but c'mon. When s*it hits the fan and the chips are down it's GO time, and the fact you mentioned she hasnt bothered to get a job back in the UK is just mental
Dump her. agree! Or at least have a talk like adults. Codependency always makes everybody's life miserable if it is the case.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Did OP say settling down in Camden? Camden is an expensive area. When we were in London, we stayed in south London, not as pretty as Hampstead I know, but we could get a 3-bedroom Victorian flat for 970 a month. We got a bigger space and saved more than a thousand a month just from the rent.