Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

Originally Posted by scilly

I happen to find the way that you post difficult to read and annoying, but would never have told you otherwise
Great comeback.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any rule on this forum that says that I cannot use .... and extra line spacings?
No, there's no rule about correct grammar or punctuation, but at least a couple of people have mentioned to you that your posts are hard to read.

It's up to you, but you might well find that people are skimming over your posts as they find them difficult to read (I'm afraid I'm one of them usually), so just using a space instead of ....... might make your posts more effective.

Your call though!
Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:37 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, there's no rule about correct grammar or punctuation, but at least a couple of people have mentioned to you that your posts are hard to read.

It's up to you, but you might well find that people are skimming over your posts as they find them difficult to read (I'm afraid I'm one of them usually), so just using a space instead of ....... might make your posts more effective.

Your call though!
I never understand why the Internet or texting for that matter allows people to apply different rules to the English language or how you might write that down on paper.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 7:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I never understand why the Internet or texting for that matter allows people to apply different rules to the English language or how you might write that down on paper.
Simple

English is a language that evolves, and in part driven by the people and media that it thrives in....

Which today is the internet
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

actually ............... strange though it might seem

I write in real life very much as I write on the internet

A double space indicates that I am still talking on the same topic

while a triple space indicates that I have moved on to another tack

and I use ...... instead of parentheses or ---

so, you see ........... this is how I write

and, yes I am a trained writer and editor with multiple published papers
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand why the OP wants to get their Canadian citizenship if she hates Canada and everything about Canada ..........
Convenience. Maybe her children might have a need for it in their futures... A "Just in case" ?

Anyway, I don't see any positive outcomes from telling OP how great your experience with Canada has been if she is homesick.

I like millie have come to terms with living here, I see the good in it and can tolerate it but I still would prefer to be in Europe. IMO that's what it all comes down to.

Sounds like OP and kids would prefer to be back in blighty, so the best course of action IMO would be to take a visit home and decide if you really want to go back, and if you still feel like it, then move!

But it is really a hard question to answer. This time last year if circumstances were perfect (if I wasn't a minor...) and you handed me a one way plane ticket I would have taken it and left, and i'd probably be happy back home. Now, having it been another year I feel better about Canada and living here. Especially in the last few months.

OP I hope you feel better and/or find a way to make it back home
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Were

you

paid

according

to

the

page

count?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

e e cummings?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
e e cummings?
e

e

cummings.

Get

with

the

programme.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

ok

ok

I get the bloomin' message from what is turning out to be a very unfriendly forum
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Convenience. Maybe her children might have a need for it in their futures... A "Just in case" ?

I like millie have come to terms with living here, I see the good in it and can tolerate it but I still would prefer to be in Europe. IMO that's what it all comes down to.

Now, having it been another year I feel better about Canada and living here. Especially in the last few months.

Not a big fan of these 'Canadians of convenience'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadians_of_convenience
This was an extreme case back in 2006.

Glad you're making the most of the purgatory known as Canada. Remind me where else you've lived other than a brief vacation
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gozit

Anyway, I don't see any positive outcomes from telling OP how great your experience with Canada has been if she is homesick.

Sounds like OP and kids would prefer to be back in blighty, so the best course of action IMO would be to take a visit home and decide if you really want to go back, and if you still feel like it, then move!

But it is really a hard question to answer. This time last year if circumstances were perfect (if I wasn't a minor...) and you handed me a one way plane ticket I would have taken it and left, and i'd probably be happy back home. Now, having it been another year I feel better about Canada and living here. Especially in the last few months.

Glad you're feeling better about things.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Not a big fan of these 'Canadians of convenience'.

Canadians of convenience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was an extreme case back in 2006.
Meh... IMO if you're going to "do the time" and meet all the qualifications for citizenship, and you wait it out, get citizenship, then leave, its fine, you did your bit, you were eligible, so it would have been stupid not to take it if you were.

Glad you're making the most of the purgatory known as Canada. Remind me where else you've lived other than a brief vacation
Wanderlust mate. Its easy to catch once you've had a small glimpse outside this uncultured 'purgatory'

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Glad you're feeling better about things.
Cheers mate
Old Apr 9th 2015, 1:16 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you been hiding Gozit?...We missed you...were you having a winter sulk like me? sneaky: I'm not the best when it gets chilly.

scilly, it can be a bit annoying - a paragraph is a paragraph but three lines are a step too far. As with me... I always love a 3 ... pause...but never more...it would seem too much...I fear?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MillieF
Where have you been hiding Gozit?...We missed you...were you having a winter sulk like me? sneaky: I'm not the best when it gets chilly.
D'awww

Yes, the annual winter sulkiness returned upon me....
Me either... I found this year it wasn't the chilliness itself, it was the damn snow and the miserable, gray skies.

But - hope is found - spring is upon us (hopefully ... )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.