Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

Old Apr 7th 2015, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 4 1/2 years and I want to go home more than ever!

Originally Posted by scilly
It sounds as if the OP is suffering serious depression.

Maybe a LONG trip back to the UK might help her ......... by that I mean 4-6 weeks not just 10 days.

What about her OH? Will he be able to find sufficient jobs as a self-employed painter?

Has she considered her children ............... do they want to be uprooted once again? Are they happy here? Are they old enough to make their own choices to stay or go? Do they want to grow up English or Canadian?

Just what is wrong with being "Canadian" anyway?

I don't willingly go back to the UK ......... I would rather go elsewhere, see other things, etc

and I have NEVER wanted to go back to England to live, right from the day we left.

If we had to leave Canada, I would move on ................ we've lived in both NZ and Australia, and either of those countries would be very attractive (but it would have to be the cooler parts of OZ!)
Not depressed at all. There are just to many things we don't like here. Even the accent grates on me. TV is rubbish, music is rubbish, food is rubbish, fashion is rubbish, Toronto is plastic..people don't mix enough.

Boys are 10 and 12 and want to go back. They'd miss family and food and think it's boring here.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverjude
Not depressed at all. There are just to many things we don't like here. Even the accent grates on me. TV is rubbish, music is rubbish, food is rubbish, fashion is rubbish, Toronto is plastic..people don't mix enough.

Boys are 10 and 12 and want to go back. They'd miss family and food and think it's boring here.

oh dear!!!

Everything is rubbish?

I don't even notice a Canadian accent, apart from Newfoundland, the Maritimes, and Hamilton, Ontario ............. otherwise, I couldn't tell you if someone was from Ontario, Alberta or BC

and, yes, I do still have an English accent! I haven't become that much of a Canadian

The food is fantastic! It's fresh and tasty ............. I love bison, wild sockeye salmon, beef, pork, fiddleheads, asparagus etc etc ......... chicken you can keep.

As far as I know, you have to get your Canadian citizenship while still in the country .......... others will know better

but why bother, if you hate Canada and everything about Canada so much?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Sally ..................

England no longer has the influence world wide that it once had. It has been overtaken by the US .......... for better of for worse.

Blair is often treated as a joke now, and I watch the parliament goings-on with as much bemusement as I watch those in Ottawa.

I'm definitely not saying that Canada is any better than the UK nationally or internationally, although we used to have an excellent reputation as peace keepers.

Also, among other things, I have a friend who is currently proving how bad the NHS has become ...............

he has been in agony with a major leg problem. Surgery was supposedly booked for this coming Friday, he was to report to the hospital this morning and be kept in until surgery.

He spent the Easter weekend dosing himself with morphine, but still failing to keep the pain under control.

His daughter took him on the 2 hour journey to the hospital this morning, over bad roads, he's in absolute agony by the time he gets there. Surgeon sees him "oh this is really serious. I'll cancel 2 surgeries on Friday and book you in for a 5 hour surgery"

Thought he was already booked in for a 5 hour surgery

Friend spends most of the day trooping around the hospital doing pre-op tests etc ................ and is then sent home, with instructions to be back before 7:30 am on Friday morning. .......... 2 hours each way on bad roads.

That is only one story from several friends over the last year

I know our hospitals can be bad, although we personally have never received anything but excellent service ......... but surely never this bad.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sally ..................

England no longer has the influence world wide that it once had. It has been overtaken by the US .......... for better of for worse.

Blair is often treated as a joke now, and I watch the parliament goings-on with as much bemusement as I watch those in Ottawa.

I'm definitely not saying that Canada is any better than the UK nationally or internationally, although we used to have an excellent reputation as peace keepers.

Also, among other things, I have a friend who is currently proving how bad the NHS has become ...............

he has been in agony with a major leg problem. Surgery was supposedly booked for this coming Friday, he was to report to the hospital this morning and be kept in until surgery.

He spent the Easter weekend dosing himself with morphine, but still failing to keep the pain under control.

His daughter took him on the 2 hour journey to the hospital this morning, over bad roads, he's in absolute agony by the time he gets there. Surgeon sees him "oh this is really serious. I'll cancel 2 surgeries on Friday and book you in for a 5 hour surgery"

Friend spends most of the day trooping around the hospital doing pre-op tests etc ................ and is then sent home, with instructions to be back before 7:30 am on Friday morning. .......... 2 hours each way on bad roads.

I know our hospitals can be bad, although we personally have never received anything but excellent service ......... but surely never this bad.
Oh dear I'd better top meself now then

Totally opposite experience of the NHS for myself and my family, some of whom have very serious chronic conditions.

Global meddling by superpowers has brought nothing but pain so a reduction in that I do not see as 'failing'.

But fair enough, that is your perception.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear!!!

Everything is rubbish?

I don't even notice a Canadian accent, apart from Newfoundland, the Maritimes, and Hamilton, Ontario ............. otherwise, I couldn't tell you if someone was from Ontario, Alberta or BC

and, yes, I do still have an English accent! I haven't become that much of a Canadian

The food is fantastic! It's fresh and tasty ............. I love bison, wild sockeye salmon, beef, pork, fiddleheads, asparagus etc etc ......... chicken you can keep.

As far as I know, you have to get your Canadian citizenship while still in the country .......... others will know better

How about if you lay off the ... and line spacing? It's annoying to read.

As for your reply to the OP, she is stating what her observations are, not looking for yours. She doesn't like the accent and doesn't like the food. So what? I'm Canadian and I don't like the accent or the food either! I've lived in Australia for nearly 9 years and I don't hear the accent anymore but the Canadian accent is the first thing I notice when I step off the plane in Toronto.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Sally ..................

I am ex military (left almost 20 years ago) and have served in theatres all over the world. I have never heard anyone outside of Canada making such a claim, although I hear Canadians say it all the time.

On what fact(s) do you base such an assertion?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Sorry but have to ask, are there always so many cars parked on your street? That really reminded me of the UK

It was Easter so people had visitors who parked on the street. There were actually a lot more cars parked on the street closer to dinner time but they all disappeared afterwards.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

TV is rubbish
You can get British TV here.

music is rubbish

How is the music available here any different than that available in the UK, especially considering the internet makes everything available to everybody.

food is rubbish, fashion is rubbish, Toronto is plastic..people don't mix enough.

Seeing that you seem to hate everything perhaps it is best that you are going back.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

In all fairness, they have only tried Toronto so haven't experienced much of Canada.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am ex military (left almost 20 years ago) and have served in theatres all over the world. I have never heard anyone outside of Canada making such a claim, although I hear Canadians say it all the time.

On what fact(s) do you base such an assertion?

It is the Liberal myth that Canada is a nation of peacekeepers. They conveniently forget that Canada had a reputation as warriors (just look at Canadians' accomplishments in WW I, WW II, Korea, etc.) and claim that we have traditionally been peacekeepers because it fits their particular worldview and because it was Lester B. Pearson who ushered in the modern era of peacekeeping during the Suez crisis.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Canada just isn't for us but London England is. We have decided to go July 2016 once we are eligible for citizenship
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be eligible for citizenship in July 2016 if your timeline in your signature is correct.

You'd be looking at 2018 before you are eligible to apply (and then a while longer to get it) if you did become a PR in 2014.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you were basing your decision to stay on holding on long enough to get citizenship.

Good luck.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, seems you are already aware of the imminent changes to the citizenship rules from your previous thread. http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...p-help-838188/

So you know that you definitely won't be eligible in 2016?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by colchar
In all fairness, they have only tried Toronto so haven't experienced much of Canada.

Colchar ............ I do appreciate that they have been in one place for the whole time, not that I know much about Stouffville, which was the place mentioned in an early post.

That is one place I have not visited, although we have seen a lot of Ontario (as well as other provinces).

I don't know what there would be to do in that place, although it seems that is is close to Toronto.

There certainly are many many other places in Canada

Last edited by scilly; Apr 8th 2015 at 4:28 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How about if you lay off the ... and line spacing? It's annoying to read.

As for your reply to the OP, she is stating what her observations are, not looking for yours. She doesn't like the accent and doesn't like the food. So what? I'm Canadian and I don't like the accent or the food either! I've lived in Australia for nearly 9 years and I don't hear the accent anymore but the Canadian accent is the first thing I notice when I step off the plane in Toronto.

Is there any rule on this forum that says that I cannot use .... and extra line spacings?

I happen to find the way that you post difficult to read and annoying, but would never have told you otherwise

and I don't like Toronto either. Does anyone?
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't understand why the OP wants to get their Canadian citizenship if she hates Canada and everything about Canada .........

surely she will never want to return?

but it does seem from what I've read that it will take another 3½ years to be eligible.

I would note here that we had to be in Canada for 5 years before we could apply to take out citizenship, and we came on the equivalent of Permanent Residency

However, as British citizens, we did not have to take the citizenship test back then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.