British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   3rd winter In Canada, will do it all again ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/3rd-winter-canada-will-do-all-again-937217/)

MrsSB Feb 20th 2021 5:58 am

3rd winter In Canada, will do it all again !

I am so grateful for the group for all the information I got in 2016/2017 as we prepared to move to Canada... practically with aspects of relocation, driving, saving up insurance history etc.
I moved with my 1 year old baby and spouse in September 2017 . We spent a month in lethbridge, another 6 weeks in Calgary and then settled in Medicine Hat. It has been over 3 years and I am amazed at how quickly it changes from summer to winter in October. I recall our land lady turning up in Lethbridge to "winterize" the house. The first snow was absolutely shocking as was the wind in prairie flat land but now i realise that layering well with the right winter gear makes it bearable. I have taken up tobaganning.
I found the lack of beaurocracy quite refreshing, we had moved with our housing deposit from the Uk and was able to buy a house straight away to get our shipment into. from viewing a house to moving in was about 2-3 weeks. I was coming into health sector job so was relatively unaffected by oil crash but I could see its effect on the communities.
I found the mobile phone costs prohibitive ( I was paying 15 pounds on my monthly contract in the Uk).
Television quite bland and have taken to watching movies or finding ways to catch up on UK TV.
Albertans are super friendly and curious, they are open and warm but not overtly intrusive. There are cultural differences in humour, interests and hobbies ( hunting would never interest me) but I bet immigrants in the UK also feel the same. I do try to join in.. I enjoy the stampede. Banff is beautiful, OKANAGAN valley is lovely and there is a charm to the prairies.
My child seems happy, the population density is low and there is so much space in these parts. The children also seem to be allowed to enjoy their early years starting school a year later and not weighed by the rat race of the Uk. Health care is good and clinicians are well regarded here and seemed appreciated. I am happier in my job that I ever was and feel more fulfilled in my role. Nobody has shouted a racial slur at me since I have arrived here in 3 years at the hospital and that has been a record in my 18 years in health care. I miss the UK., travel back as often as I can but I am happy with my new life here and will do it all again in a heart beat.

BristolUK Feb 20th 2021 10:58 am

Re: 3rd winter In Canada, will do it all again !

Nice read :thumbup:

MrsSB Feb 21st 2021 1:32 am

thanks

scilly Feb 21st 2021 2:33 am

Lovely to hear that you are settled .....

and most especially about the absence of racial slurs.

Thank you!

Bhav88 Mar 7th 2021 4:38 pm

great read, especially for someone who has just arrived in Toronto from UK. First thing I'm sure many think is how will I cope in the winter and all though snow, but Canada seems prepped for it and handles it well unlike the uk :p.

How is Calgary, it's actually where we initially intended to move to, but circumstances, job and time difference has brought us to Toronto. Still haven't been able to explore yet as in quarantine. Looking forward to visiting Calgary and maybe some day making it home.

MrsSB Mar 7th 2021 5:55 pm

Calgary is nice, lots of space and everything is big ( houses and cars) . The mountains are close by with Banff being an hour away. The economy has taken a hit though with Oil and Gas being the predominant economy that drive wealth. It is diverse but no where near Toronto or Ontario cities. The winters can be harsh with temperature drops on -40 + but the chinook winds means this doesn’t last too long.
There are many things to do.