365 Days...so far

Old Aug 15th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 365 Days...so far

Originally Posted by Madmac
Well, it's exactly one year today since we landed at Lester pearson.

Then:

1. It was raining, dull and dreich.
2. We were scared sh**less and thinking "Oh my God, what have we done?".
3. One of the cats was covered in her own filth - a welcoming present to bring to our new home.

Now:

1. Looks like it's shaping up to be a nice sunny day outside my window.
2. Our emotions have been numbed by frequent infusions of Tim Hortons (and probably our neural synapses too)
3. The cats have found new places in the home to leave little 'presents'

Thanks to everyone on here for the laughs, support, encouragement, sarcasm, abuse, scorn, ridicule and whatever. I shall pay you all back in full when I get around to ticking off my vengeance list.

Best wishes to all.
J

We landed a year ago today at Pearson, the sun shone and luckily the cat hung on to her inside until we were almost home. I wonder if the memory of your cat the day before was why cistoms werent keen on looking at ours to closely!

And now, we are waiting to hear about PR any day now. I am still not sure we did the right thing but thats probably due to a huge wave of homesickness. Not for places or people in particular but for the familiar. To be able to walk around a town centre, to know what shops to go to, etc etc.
MOH is on his third job and has been there for 8 months. Like you he thought the best way was to take a job, any job and then move on to something that suits him better. I remember talking to another Briton whose husband didnt have job yet, when i said there were always jobs as security guards to tide him over her reply was "he rather hoped for something better than that". One of those them and us English moments that reminds you why we moved here.

Coming on here has kept me sane,- almost- well as near as i ever was. We have had loads of useful advice that has helped enormously, and I thank you all,

Today we are off out to celebrate, a nice lunch somewhere on Rice Lake.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:41 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
We landed a year ago today at Pearson, the sun shone and luckily the cat hung on to her inside until we were almost home. I wonder if the memory of your cat the day before was why cistoms werent keen on looking at ours to closely!

And now, we are waiting to hear about PR any day now. I am still not sure we did the right thing but thats probably due to a huge wave of homesickness. Not for places or people in particular but for the familiar. To be able to walk around a town centre, to know what shops to go to, etc etc.
MOH is on his third job and has been there for 8 months. Like you he thought the best way was to take a job, any job and then move on to something that suits him better. I remember talking to another Briton whose husband didnt have job yet, when i said there were always jobs as security guards to tide him over her reply was "he rather hoped for something better than that". One of those them and us English moments that reminds you why we moved here.

Coming on here has kept me sane,- almost- well as near as i ever was. We have had loads of useful advice that has helped enormously, and I thank you all,

Today we are off out to celebrate, a nice lunch somewhere on Rice Lake.
I didn't realise you landed the day after us. Congratulations.

I know those feelings of homesickness all too well. The OH doesn't seem to get them. It's the sense that I can't just pop down the pub to talk rubbish all night with my friends or just give them a call that does it for me. Fortunately, it doesn't happen all the time.

Yes, lots of jobs I didn't really want but took for the sake of money or experience or just to keep me sane and out of the house. I can understand how that other guy felt when his wife said he hoped for something better as I've felt that same way and don't like to dwell on the job and salary I left behind.

Have a great celebratory meal.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise you landed the day after us. Congratulations.

I know those feelings of homesickness all too well. The OH doesn't seem to get them. It's the sense that I can't just pop down the pub to talk rubbish all night with my friends or just give them a call that does it for me. Fortunately, it doesn't happen all the time.

Yes, lots of jobs I didn't really want but took for the sake of money or experience or just to keep me sane and out of the house. I can understand how that other guy felt when his wife said he hoped for something better as I've felt that same way and don't like to dwell on the job and salary I left behind.

Have a great celebratory meal.
thanks we will- did u celebrate??

MOH also hopes for something better, but like you he wasnt "above" taking any job going -for the $$ , the experience, and because its easier to get a job when you already have one. He still isnt working in the type of job or pay he would like but that will take time
take care
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:18 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

and don't like to dwell on the job and salary I left behind.
Don't. I chucked in a £40k+ job in 2000 to come here. I didn't work work for over two years. Often I wondered if I'd ever work again. Had I stayed in England, I'd probably be making in the mid-50s now and still living in the same poxy flat in Surrey. And regretting every second of it.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 4:56 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Don't. I chucked in a £40k+ job in 2000 to come here. I didn't work work for over two years. Often I wondered if I'd ever work again. Had I stayed in England, I'd probably be making in the mid-50s now and still living in the same poxy flat in Surrey. And regretting every second of it.
If I ever think about it I immediately stick my fingers in my ears and say "Waa, waa, waa!" out loud. The pitying stares then make me forget all about the nearly £40,000 pa, the 68 days holiday and sense of achievement I once had.

Oh God! Where is that cheap flights home website?.............................