Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

3 years and Still Here!

3 years and Still Here!

Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

helcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 years and Still Here!

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Well today we made it to the three year mark. It seems like yesterday when we were rushing through immigration at St John's Newfoundland (unexpectedly as the scheduled didnt show us landing there) and holding out a wadge of cash to show we had the money to support ourselves for 6 months. The immigration guy didnt even count it.
Our first winter was pretty mild we had a thaw in January and the snow never really returned.

We spent most of our first year acting at tour guides for a rash of visitors (cost us a fortune and I wouldn't advise it for anyone).

I started Blogging about our life here in New Brunswick for two reasons
  1. To enable our family to keep connected to what was happening without the need to constantly ask questions during our phone calls
  2. To enable potential immigrants to get some understanding of the life here and what they can do to prepare for the move

I (Dave) have tried to be a constructive poster on the forums here in BE world and help direct people to resources, not to be too judging of others positions and opinions (Man that is hard for me because I always seem to know the right answer )

I suppose I should impart some pearls of wisdom at this point, but I just feel all out of pearls today. Perhaps a string of rocks of thoughts will do?
  1. Dont expect it to be like the UK no matter how similar the language is.
  2. You will have culture shock deal with it constructively
  3. Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house
  4. Become a family of joiners, join clubs and activities that you didn't do in the UK, Heck life change is one of the reasons most people come. So change your life!
  5. Job point one. Accept that you will go down at least one or two steps in your job compared to your previous roles in the UK. The recruiter here probably has no idea who BT or Cap Gemini are so in your resume (not CV) and from their point of view you are unproven in your field and it isnt easy to follow up. (Yes I know skilled workers have all been vetted etc but they probably don't know the process and dont want to learn about either.
  6. Job point two. Don't take the summer off just because you have some money. Start looking before you get here and get a job as soon as possible when you arrive.Life starts to look grim when you are struggling to get a job after you have taken 3 months off work (explain that to your potential employer).
  7. Job point three. Dress for the interview even if everyone else is business casual. Do yourself a favour and treat the interviewer with enough respect to put on a shirt and tie.
  8. Job point four. Do your research (Look at the wiki, Judy picked up a post I made on my approach to job hunting).
  9. Don't become a whinging POM in Canada they won't know what you are and they will quickly shun someone who is bitching, moaning and whining about how Canada is so far behind in ...... wonk wonk wonk (thats what they say instead of blah blah blah. Well it is here)
  10. You will get the wobbles at various stages during the timeline and they do get easier to recognise and deal with. Just stay focused and you will come through it relatively unscathed.
  11. Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house
  12. Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house

I hope my emphasis on "Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house" is a point well taken Because I think it is important.

OK now where is that website where I can apply for citizenship ......
Nice one Dave. I wonder what this winter will bring? Love live the bonfire parties!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice

Yes we are the same 3 years back on October 26th, congrats to you.
We wouldn't go back if you paid us millions!!!
Fiona
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave and Family

Great post, and thanks for the update. I follow your blog with interest and it's fascinating... thank you for taking the time out to write them and post the pics too.

I have my 3 month anniversary today, and I'm very much trying to do all those things. I struggle in a small way with being single and trying to get out, but being a new person in a new country has changed my attitude to taking part in new activities alone, and I'm making inroads, and have made a great circle of friends already. I'm terribly happy!!!

Thanks again

Bx
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on your 3rd Canniversary. Citizenship just around the corner. Hope you are all well and getting ready for another winter.

Will be sending a red cross parcel soon so PM us with your wish list and we'll see what we can do. Won't be the same level of supply as when we were there in August but I'm sure there must be a few choice morsels you will still be missing (jaffa cakes are a gimme as are walkers cheese and onion crisps for Catherine).

Pass on our best wishes to Jules and the girls.

John
Old Nov 9th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Dave,

Apologise to Kathryn for me. Lynne just pointed out that I spelt her name incorrectly in the first post but for some reason I couldn't edit it .

John
Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:04 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beastie
Hi Dave,

Congratulations on your 3rd Canniversary. Citizenship just around the corner. Hope you are all well and getting ready for another winter.

Will be sending a red cross parcel soon so PM us with your wish list and we'll see what we can do. Won't be the same level of supply as when we were there in August but I'm sure there must be a few choice morsels you will still be missing (jaffa cakes are a gimme as are walkers cheese and onion crisps for Catherine).

Pass on our best wishes to Jules and the girls.

John
Gemma says 'You guys are the nicest' ... She will say anything for a toffeecrisp

Gemma is going back to the UK for Christmas (ah... relief from her demanding christmas gift list) . She arrives back in the UK Nov 28th so send out a general warning across the UK. We don't see her back until 8th Jan ok well maybe not that sad but I will miss her over the christmas. I mean who is going to make me a cup of tea?

We will be left with Kathryn and she will be talking non stop without her sister to argue with.

PS I will drop you a line and our request will be modest after the smuggling exercise in the summer

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Nov 9th 2008 at 6:08 pm. Reason: adding a PS
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:19 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Dave - re your point about clubs - can you give us some examples?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:39 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Dave - re your point about clubs - can you give us some examples?
We have joined a tango dancing club, Curling, Newcomers, I know Kathryn has looked several times at the local nature conservation club.

On our list for the future are Ballroom dancing (different one from Tango), Cross Country Ski Club. Hiking club, and I am looking for a snow shoeing or winter club. Go on your local city website and see if they have a leisure page they often list clubs by pastime.

There are several charitable organizations (Fredericton Foodbank, Big Brothers and Sisters etc...) where we have helped out and met new people.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

We have joined a tango dancing club, Curling, Newcomers, I know Kathryn has looked several times at the local nature conservation club.

On our list for the future are Ballroom dancing (different one from Tango), Cross Country Ski Club. Hiking club, and I am looking for a snow shoeing or winter club. Go on your local city website and see if they have a leisure page they often list clubs by pastime.

There are several charitable organizations (Fredericton Foodbank, Big Brothers and Sisters etc...) where we have helped out and met new people.
I don't know if its the norm in Canada, the new friends in the village 2 pairs from Canada are both really putting themselves out there and joining helping all the local clubs, within 2 weeks of being here they were involved in a safari supper for the local church, joined the Badmington club ( and they are very good ) and everything else going,

We could learn a lot from them
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:40 pm
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

At the risk of sounding smug after reading your post I found it all
pretty obvious.When starting a new life you have to be pro-active and go out and get your new life, it doesn''t come to you.It always helps to remember you are in someone elses country (at least for a while)..show interest,be curious and be humble.

They are wise words. I suppose some people rather than thinking them just need to hear them.

Cant wait for the first day of my first year annversary to start! mistakes and all.

Thanks
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:55 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Eve N
At the risk of sounding smug after reading your post I found it all
pretty obvious.When starting a new life you have to be pro-active and go out and get your new life, it doesn''t come to you.It always helps to remember you are in someone elses country (at least for a while)..show interest,be curious and be humble.

They are wise words. I suppose some people rather than thinking them just need to hear them.

Cant wait for the first day of my first year annversary to start! mistakes and all.

Thanks
You are right it is pretty obvious, but the experience of emigrating sometimes makes you withdraw as you deal with the different culture, wrestling with new problems and for some missing the familiar. You can lose track of what you had originally intended to do.

Good luck for your first day in your new life
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:12 am
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

Congratulations. I hope when those of us still waiting to get over get to this point, we are still as motivated and happy as you sound.

Emmjay
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Well today we made it to the three year mark. It seems like yesterday when we were rushing through immigration at St John's Newfoundland (unexpectedly as the scheduled didnt show us landing there) and holding out a wadge of cash to show we had the money to support ourselves for 6 months. The immigration guy didnt even count it.
Our first winter was pretty mild we had a thaw in January and the snow never really returned.

We spent most of our first year acting at tour guides for a rash of visitors (cost us a fortune and I wouldn't advise it for anyone).

I started Blogging about our life here in New Brunswick for two reasons
  1. To enable our family to keep connected to what was happening without the need to constantly ask questions during our phone calls
  2. To enable potential immigrants to get some understanding of the life here and what they can do to prepare for the move

I (Dave) have tried to be a constructive poster on the forums here in BE world and help direct people to resources, not to be too judging of others positions and opinions (Man that is hard for me because I always seem to know the right answer )

I suppose I should impart some pearls of wisdom at this point, but I just feel all out of pearls today. Perhaps a string of rocks of thoughts will do?
  1. Dont expect it to be like the UK no matter how similar the language is.
  2. You will have culture shock deal with it constructively
  3. Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house
  4. Become a family of joiners, join clubs and activities that you didn't do in the UK, Heck life change is one of the reasons most people come. So change your life!
  5. Job point one. Accept that you will go down at least one or two steps in your job compared to your previous roles in the UK. The recruiter here probably has no idea who BT or Cap Gemini are so in your resume (not CV) and from their point of view you are unproven in your field and it isnt easy to follow up. (Yes I know skilled workers have all been vetted etc but they probably don't know the process and dont want to learn about either.
  6. Job point two. Don't take the summer off just because you have some money. Start looking before you get here and get a job as soon as possible when you arrive.Life starts to look grim when you are struggling to get a job after you have taken 3 months off work (explain that to your potential employer).
  7. Job point three. Dress for the interview even if everyone else is business casual. Do yourself a favour and treat the interviewer with enough respect to put on a shirt and tie.
  8. Job point four. Do your research (Look at the wiki, Judy picked up a post I made on my approach to job hunting).
  9. Don't become a whinging POM in Canada they won't know what you are and they will quickly shun someone who is bitching, moaning and whining about how Canada is so far behind in ...... wonk wonk wonk (thats what they say instead of blah blah blah. Well it is here)
  10. You will get the wobbles at various stages during the timeline and they do get easier to recognise and deal with. Just stay focused and you will come through it relatively unscathed.
  11. Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house
  12. Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house

I hope my emphasis on "Get out and get engaged in the community, no one will come to you when you sit in your house" is a point well taken Because I think it is important.

OK now where is that website where I can apply for citizenship ......
Dave,

A very good post, and I couldnt agree more, but its suprising how many people just don't prepare themselves for the big change in life, or still try to hold on to the life they had before in a totally different country!

I have already landed, I am just waiting to let out my house in the Uk and to save some contingency funds before I head out to Canada to start my new life. You have made some very good points, I couldn't agree more on the job front - that is my ONLY priority when I get out there, I have already been for 2 job interviews during my landing holiday a couple of months back - the positions weren't suitable but it gave me valuable experience. Ive been over to Canada 7 times now, I know its not like living there, but I like to think Im pretty much prepared for the change. I even have a few social contacts there now - in addition to my friend who emmigrated 3 years ago, but that still won't stop me getting out and about....I want to make as many contacts as I can...I have to make up for lost time!

I really hope I settle down to life in Canada like yourselves... it gives me a real positive vibe to read stories like yours. I just keep saying to myself "where ever you go.... go with ALL your heart!" I am ready to consign my old life and culture to the past and embrace what the new life and culture offers me. Its certainly not going to be plain sailing, infact im worrying about getting a job.....(now is not the best time to be throwing a perfectly good job in!) but I am prepared to do other jobs when I get to Canada, to bridge the gap in the event of not getting a job in my chosen profession. Ive even thought....new life...maybe a new career too? I feel this is far more acheivable in Canada - well thats what I believe, I will soon find out no doubt!

Paul
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules;6943388[*
Don't become a whinging POM in Canada they won't know what you are and they will quickly shun someone who is bitching, moaning and whining about how Canada is so far behind in ...... wonk wonk wonk (thats what they say instead of blah blah blah. Well it is here)
Great post, congratulations on your 3 years in NB....it seems like you have made the most of this wonderful country.

I have no idea who you could be referring to on BE that would be considered to be a whinging POM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.