British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   3 years next week...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/3-years-next-week-576102/)

gooding Dec 1st 2008 3:02 am

3 years next week......

How things have changed. It seemed forever, but was only 2 years from start to finish to get here. Within about 5 months my daughter hated it (Canada) and me for bringing here. My husband had fulltime job or 6 months, then nothing. For one year her was driving on a casual basis for a rental car company. What a change for a local government officer. We both sent dozens of resumes off with not even a reply to one of them.
My daughter returned to Uk for a few weeks and all was not well.
Now....... my daughter is at college at Capilano and happy. My step son arrived this summer and is staying. I now have my dream job managing a local Art Gallery and my husband is also working fulltime as Graphic Designer. We live within a wonderful community on Vancouver Island, and I feel like everyday is a holiday. Corny but true.
I am so happy here I love my home, the town I live in people I work with. However, do not expect it to fall in your lap. People say it is all about networking as it is so true.
We really are living our dream here, and have never had any homesickness. If we miss anything it is the English sense of humour. Sorry , but Canadians (most) do not have a sense of humour, not like the Brits they really do not. Political correctness has already got in the way of that.
However they have so much more that makes up for that. We all will be becoming citizens next year, even if it does take longer that we expected, but this is our home now and we will be proud to call ourselves "Canadians"

londonhatter Dec 1st 2008 1:43 pm

Re: 3 years next week......

Thats great news and good to hear.

I am planning on being there for June/July 2009. Although my wife is from vancouver and I have friends there I don't expect that it will be easy to just change cultures like that so any stories such as yours are very welcome.

Good luck for the future

Dave+Jules Dec 1st 2008 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by gooding (Post 7024752)
How things have changed. It seemed forever, but was only 2 years from start to finish to get here. Within about 5 months my daughter hated it (Canada) and me for bringing here. My husband had fulltime job or 6 months, then nothing. For one year her was driving on a casual basis for a rental car company. What a change for a local government officer. We both sent dozens of resumes off with not even a reply to one of them.
Now....... my daughter is at college at Capilano and happy. My step son arrived this summer and is staying. I now have my dream job managing a local Art Gallery and my husband is also working fulltime as Graphic Designer. We live within a wonderful community on Vancouver Island, and I feel like everyday is a holiday. Corny but true.
I am so happy here I love my home, the town I live in people I work with. However, do not expect it to fall in your lap. People say it is all about networking as it is so true.
We really are living our dream here, and have never had any homesickness. If we miss anything it is the English sense of humour. Sorry , but Canadians (most) do not have a sense of humour, not like the Brits they really do not. Political correctness has already got in the way of that.
However they have so much more that makes up for that. We all will be becoming citizens next year, even if it does take longer that we expected, but this is our home now and we will be proud to call ourselves "Canadians"

Congratulations and we all experience those wobbles, trials and tribulations.

My eldest is planning to return to the UK next year, but I think after three years in New Brunswick she will get a rude shock about being away from home for the first time, and the difference between the UK and NB.

Cookie Dec 2nd 2008 1:55 am

Congratulations on all your achievements. Your courage to ride out your bumpy start has now paid you back with dividends. Hopefully, this will inspire others going through a rough time and show they are not alone.

Happy 3rd Canniversary :thumbsup:

bandit Dec 2nd 2008 2:45 am

Hi there!

Just wanted to say congrats on living through a really rough time with the family / jobs etc...

It's good to hear that things have taken a very good turn for the better, and that you're all now more settled....

Keep smiling and keep well.

Bx

lauralil Dec 2nd 2008 12:24 pm

lovely story, especially given you and your husband working in the creative industry. gives me hope of emigration!

bananahammock Dec 2nd 2008 2:24 pm

Happy Aniversary you :) ........ doesn't seem like 4yrs since we met in 'Brizzle' & talked about moving here :o ........ If you're down this way for any crimbo retail therapy come in for a cuppa :thumbsup: (bring a peg!! ;))

x x

Paul_Shepherd Dec 4th 2008 1:15 pm

Gooding..

A very realistic post...its not all roses - you have to work at intergrating and adjusting, Im expecting a rough ride when I first get out there, I have a lot to organise. not too rough I hope, but think if you go there not expecting a perfect life straight away you wont become disheartened - some people call me a pessimist - I like to think of myself as a realist! - its all about the big picture!

Good to hear you have come out the other side and are now really enjoying your new way of life there - excellent! sounds wonderful and all the things you made the move for are coming to fruition.

Just one thing tho...you say the Canadians don't have the humour like the Brits? Ive always classed them as someway between us and the Americans - I think American humour can be quite far removed from ours - and a lot of it goes over their head. I must have been lucky so far - the few Canadian contacts I have made - through my Brit friend who has lived over there for 3 years now, are very similar to my UK friends, with the laughs and humour we share, infact one of them lives in the UK at the moment (on a short term basis) we like to meet up every couple of months, my other UK freinds always comment on how much he is on the same wavelength to us. Perhaps its different tho as most are single guys with no families. Also I haven't lived there yet so I could see things differently then.

Hope things carry on going well for you all!

Paul

maddhobs Dec 10th 2008 1:03 am

Congratulations and pleased to see you are enjoying Island life:)

Devil Girl Dec 10th 2008 9:45 am

Happy Canniversary :D

Wow it sounds like you have faces many challenges. I am glad that things are going funkily for you and I hope it continues to do so.